PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Spend My Pot Money

Guardian
11-19-2013, 11:35 AM
I have finally reached the point of spending money on a bottom pour pot. After much internal debate, I've decided on a Master Pot from Magma. I'd rather spend my money once and, worst case, I should be able to get most of my money out of it.

Questions:
1) 110 or 220 volt and why? I don't have a 220 outlet available right now, but it wouldn't be a major ordeal to install.

2) Would you add a PID to this specific pot?

3) Assuming you would add a PID, would it be the Magma unit or an aftermarket/home built one?

In the interest of full disclosure, I've not cast the first boolit yet. I've spent most of the year accumulating tools and supplies. I had no intention of getting into casting, just swaging, but one thing led to another and now I'm corrupted. :)

Thanks for all the information on this great forum!

454PB
11-19-2013, 12:51 PM
The only advantage to 240 volts is that it allows smaller wire size. If you have a 120 volt circuit available and it is not already loaded, there's no need for 240 volts.

As to the PID, I can't say because I've never used one.....or seen the need to have one.

w5pv
11-19-2013, 01:08 PM
240 will use less amperage than 110,I use a variact to keep my old Lyman from running up and down the temp range.

prsman23
11-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Man. From the title I thought you were selling drugs and needed a way to get rid of it.
Phrasing is very important :-)

bwgdog
11-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Went with 120v and went with the installed PID-am VERY glad that I purchased it. Product is well made-with quality materials-and people that will answer questions if you have to phone them. Have had mine for two years now.

Springfield
11-19-2013, 02:21 PM
OK, I'm no electrician, but 1500 watts is 1500 watts. You will pull less amps through the individual wires but the sum total will be the same. Meaning it won't be any cheaper to run a 240 pot than a 110. That being said, I bought a 110 Magma pot 5 years ago and have used it extensively since. I ordered a 240 but they sent a 110. I talked to some electrician friends of mine and they told me if it works, use it, don't worry about 110/220 and I did for 3 years. And then while visiting family in Arizona I stopped by the Magma shop, and he told me they use the same heater band for both and gave me the wiring and instructions, and when I got home I switched it back to 220. Why? I don't know, just made me feel better, and my RCBS pot was 220 and I had wired an outlet for it, so I did it. Did it make the pot work any better? No, I can't see a bit of difference in the performance, was kinda disappointed, actually, but my friends were right, watts is watts. The only difference is that when running long sessions in 110 the cord did get slightly warm and in 220 it doesn't, so whatever that is worth. I sure wouldn't run a 220 line just to run the pot. I love my Magma and if I had the money I wold buy a second one to use for pure lead instead of using the RCBS. I loved the RCBS after I upgraded from LEE's but I love being able to cast long sessions and just keep chucking in ingots and the Magma doesn't even care. As for the built-in PID, I don't know. I built my own and I can switch it between the RCBS and the Magma so that is convenient. I do love the PID, just makes things easier to keep an eye on temp. I always used a dial guage but it faces up while casting so I can't see it all the time. Doesn't make things work any better with the PID as the Magma keeps everything hot but it is interesting to watch the temp swings and actually KNOW what is going on during long sessions. If you don't cast 2-3 potfulls every time the PID is just a nice extra but not necessary. Make sure you get both pour spouts with the pot, the single and the double.

Guardian
11-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Man. From the title I thought you were selling drugs and needed a way to get rid of it.
Phrasing is very important :-)

It was intentional. Got you to look, didn't it? :)

Dale in Louisiana
11-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Thought you'd opened a business in Colorado.

dale in Louisiana

gwpercle
11-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Oh...that kind of pot.

leadman
11-19-2013, 07:23 PM
I would definitely get the pid, either should work well. The pid units available from China on e-bay are 110 or 220 volts. I have built 3 so far. One works, the 2 units I got yesterday don't turn on the solid state relay. The first one I built has been in heavy service since spring with no issues.
The advantage to the pid is a very stable lead temperature which aids in keeping the boolit weights stable.
THe new RCBS pots are equipped with a thermostat that is set for 50 degree between the on/off/on cycles. Found this out when the thermostat went bad in my 1980s pot.
If you decide to equip the magma pot yourself there is a video on their site showing the location of the thermocouple.

Tomspanks
11-19-2013, 07:28 PM
you cast boolit guys are hipper than I thought.

Norbrat
11-19-2013, 07:55 PM
One works, the 2 units I got yesterday don't turn on the solid state relay.

Could be you got a model with an internal relay. That's what happened to me.

Post #267 & #269in this forum http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?115724-Project-PID-on-Lee-Pro-4-20-furnace/page14:

"Actually, if you bought a cheap Rex C100 (likely a chinese made knock-off), it could be relay only, and won't work with an SSR. Have a read through this Brewers forum http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/rex...d-ebay-254480/ about these problems; you may be able to fix it by removing the relay in the PID and jumping the terminals. "

and

"I bought this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110761287592 and even though the description says it has an SSR output, it didn't.

So I also removed the relay and jumpered the pins, and now it works fine with the SSR. "

Although I did have to switch the + and - input to the SSR as the relay feed was back to front, so to speak. I could have got around this by switching the relay jumpers on the pcb, but didn't bother as end result works fine.

bwgdog
11-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Guardian-The first thing that I noticed when I received my Magma w/pid installed was the quality of the materials used. It works. Very well made unit.

Guardian
11-20-2013, 01:36 PM
My reason for considering 220 was safety, not a reduction in power consumption. The lower amperage of 220 seemed it would be more amenable to the use of an extension cord. I know just enough about electricity to get power from point A to B, that's about it. I do have a 20 amp 110 outlet available, but was concerned about the "warm cord" Springfield mentioned.

Springfield, thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to get both bottom plates.

I'm still on the fence about the PID. I may order it without and upgrade later.

Thanks for the input.

Springfield
11-20-2013, 01:53 PM
The nice thing about having a separate PID is, one, they are cheaper than the factory unit, and two, you can keep a spare around for when it dies and you won't have any down time. Also, if you have more than one pot you can switch it around easily. I am a big believer in spares.

454PB
11-21-2013, 12:36 PM
If you didn't know, the Lee Pro-4-20 has an 800 watt heating element. At 120 volts, it's pulling 6.7 amps. Assuming the cord (or extension cord) is 14 gauge, it will not heat up. If you used a very long extension cord, there could be a problem......but it would have to be VERY long.