PDA

View Full Version : Meat for the bones

Slimjim33
11-19-2013, 04:12 AM
I may have missed this before
But can any one supply internal dimensions for a set of 30 and 6.5mm cal dies!
I looked at he Corbin web site. Great diagrams but no notation (understandably).
Namely the core seat dies. As I a unsure of how much swaging happens at the core seat. Then the point form.

I read the thread about making .267 from 22 mag cases. And I am going to try the 25acp holder and expander punch. To make 6.5mm cases.

I am building a hydraulic ram press. And I have a lee classic cast.
I also cast my own boolits already. But what I Really want to do is swage for my 30-06.
I know I have to learn. But I have never made a set of dies before. Although I do have a shop where I can get things done.
I bought the Corbin book on swaging. But it told me nothing new! Well nothing I didn't get from this site to be honest.

Is there a better guide on how to make the dies!
Ether in print or electronic format.

I had the idea of making a open point form die that would hold a open ended jacket.
Then push a boolit into the jacket and then seat a gas check to seal the bottom.

But I think that's just pie in the sky.
Any help I can get will be great fully received!

Thank you cast boolits

blaser.306
11-19-2013, 07:04 AM
Search for Ted Smith, There should be a file kikin around somewhere that is fairly informative!

Cane_man
11-19-2013, 11:28 AM
ditto, the Ted Smith SAS pdf has all the insights on how to make swaging dies... every time i read it i learn something new i didn't understand before!

several of us have documented our die making efforts in threads here in this forum...

Slimjim33
11-19-2013, 12:11 PM
ditto, the Ted Smith SAS pdf has all the insights on how to make swaging dies... every time i read it i learn something new i didn't understand before!

several of us have documented our die making efforts in threads here in this forum...

Thank you for the Ted Smith stere.
In deed lots of documented examples of homemade dies on here. But lots of content to get through.

The company I own has just ordered some very nice tools. With a lead time of 6 months. I thought I would dot home work. Looks like I have some reading to do!

Cane_man
11-19-2013, 12:30 PM
read a lot, and ask questions... lots of folks on here have made their own dies successfully, including the dreaded point forming die [smilie=b: ... and they are willing to share knowledge to help you be successful as well... lots of saftisfaction shooting bullets made with dies that you made yourself :)

Slimjim33
12-01-2013, 08:54 PM
The Ted Smith steer was spot on. Lots more to go on now!
Thanks fellow swaggers!