PDA

View Full Version : Unknown die

Garyshome
11-18-2013, 10:59 PM
It's an RCBS 270 Win Trim 76. I don't know what it is for. 87909879108791187912

frkelly74
11-18-2013, 11:02 PM
It says on it that it is a 270 Winchester trim die. Used to trim cases to length, run the case into it and file off any metal that sticks out the top. Is this a trick question?

Garyshome
11-18-2013, 11:08 PM
That is what I thought it was but not sure. I have never use one of these before. My long gun reloading knowledge leaves a lot to be learned yet.

ReloaderFred
11-19-2013, 09:43 AM
The 76 indicates that it was made in 1976. RCBS used to date their dies, but stopped quite awhile back.

Hope this helps.

Fred

dbosman
11-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Trim dies are/were more common in the past than today.
Automation via a powered screwdriver or cordless drill saves cramped fingers.
The use, is as frkelly74 said, run the case up into the die and trim. One could use a "safe" hacksaw or a file. The top of the die is hardened. A safe hacksaw blade is one with the teeth filed off one side.

danomano
11-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Concept seems good. Any of you guys actually use them? or are they a PITA?

Zymurgy50
11-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Not as much a PITA as the old Herters type that did not screw into the press, but yes they work well.

EDG
11-20-2013, 01:37 AM
They get expensive in uncommon calibers.
They get expensive if you reload a lot of calibers. It can be cheaper to buy a collet case trimmer.

Concept seems good. Any of you guys actually use them? or are they a PITA?

Bent Ramrod
11-20-2013, 03:55 AM
I find on the ones I have that the shell has to be full length resized before it will go into the trim die properly. I only neck size a lot of my cases, so I generally use a lathe type trimmer or a Lee setup in a drill press instead. If you routinely full length size, the file trimmer is as good as anything, and easier to set up than the lathe-type trimmers. Don't bear down too hard on the file or you will dull it quickly.

On the other hand, if you were doing a lot of case forming where you full length size a case and then cut a considerable length of the neck off before final trimming to length (like .30-06 to 8mm), the file/trim die with a hacksaw would really be the way to go.

gwpercle
11-20-2013, 01:57 PM
It's simple and has no moving parts....whats not to like. My 30-06 has been working since 1967 and still in excellent shape. Some times simple is good.
Gary

Char-Gar
11-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Yes, I use them and have about 20 or so in various handgun and rifle calibers. Both Redding and RCBS make these and so did Pacific and others at different times. There is a difference between the Redding and the RCBS though;

The Redding will accept unsized cases, thus you can preserve the headspace of your fired case if that is important to you.

The RCBS is also a full length resizer. Lubricate you cases before running into the die just like any steel sizing die. You get a twofer with the RCBS die.

The RCBS also works well as a case forming die. To make 8mm Mauser cases (or any other) just lube a 30-06 case and run it into a 8X57 file trim die. Cut off the excess with a fine tooth hacksaw and then finish with a double cut file. Deburr the case mouth and you have a new case ready to neck expand and load.

Anonym
11-20-2013, 06:31 PM
I have a .223 and .308 trim die, and I use it to trim my first piece of brass which is used to set up my Lyman case trimmer for the remainder. Takes the guess-work out of it and speeds up the process of either trimming them all by hand in the die or trying to get the case trimmer set up perfect with calipers, etc. May not be the perfect solution, but works for me...

EDG
11-21-2013, 12:50 AM
The RCBS file trim die seems to have the body dimensions of a full length sizer.
However the neck in all of those I have measured the neck is .010 large than a FL die neck.
Pacific are like RCBS about .010 larger. CH necks are about the same.
Reddings has the same neck diameter as a FL die.

1hole
11-22-2013, 07:40 PM
I sometimes use a file trim die as a body/shoulder bump die in conjunction with a Lee collet neck sizer; luv it.