PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice

hammerhead357
11-15-2007, 02:23 PM
I have an old natural gas fired lead furnace that holds 1000 lbs. of linotype and I want to convert it to propane. The old pot has a nice thermostat to regulate the heat. I have been just using a big weed burner and I think I need to convert it now.

The jets in it are sized .082 . My question is what size do I need to drill the new jets in order to use propane? I know they need to be quite a bit smaller but I don't know how much.

Anyone here know about this? Any help would be appriciated. Thanks Wes

Buckshot
11-15-2007, 06:14 PM
................I wish I knew the answer. I know a lot of the gas BBQ's sold come with 2 sets for jets for NG or propane. The only thing I can suggest if no one knows would be to call the gas company, a propane supplier, or maybe last of all, check on the net. Maybe Wills will pop up with eleven URL's with the info :-)

................Buckshot

Typecaster
11-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Contact your friendly neighborhood propane dealer...this should be a straightforward conversion. Of course, he'll need to do more than just fill tanks...you need a company with a service department.
I expect you will only need a new orifice, which will have a smaller hole than for natural gas, and possibly a regulator. The propane goes from the valve to the regulator, then through the orifice. At that point there would be some sort of shutter or flap to determine how much air is mixed with the gas, and the gas/air mixture then goes to the jets of the burner. The burner jets shouldn't need any modification.

The natural gas unit should be marked with a Btu rating. The propane guys can easily calculate the size of orifice needed depending on Btu output needed, the propane system pressure—it can use either a high-pressure or low-pressure regulator—and your altitude.

If you strike out, PM me—I've been involved with reporting one the propane industry for over 30 years and can put you in touch with burner companies if it should come to that.

By the way, WHOLESALE propane prices in Los Angeles were at $1.70 per gallon today; well over $1.50 across the rest of the country. Be prepared for sticker shock for smelting fuel...and your winter heating bills.

MT Gianni
11-15-2007, 07:56 PM
I have an old natural gas fired lead furnace that holds 1000 lbs. of linotype and I want to convert it to propane. The old pot has a nice thermostat to regulate the heat. I have been just using a big weed burner and I think I need to convert it now.

The jets in it are sized .082 . My question is what size do I need to drill the new jets in order to use propane? I know they need to be quite a bit smaller but I don't know how much.

Anyone here know about this? Any help would be appriciated. Thanks Wes

How many burners and what is the BTU rating total? You will also need a regulator. You can redrill propane orifices for nat. gas as they are smaller but not vice-versa. You will need an insert fitted to a #27 drill bit as I recall and drill that out for propane. Gianni

hammerhead357
11-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Guys the furnace has four burners about 18 in. long and about 1 in. in diameter if I remember correctly. I don't feel like going out in the dark to the shop to measure them. Now as to BTUs I don't have any idea. I have had the old furnace for 20 years and it works great on nat. gas but like I said I don't have access to nat. gas. This thing has a nice thermostat on it and I do have several propane regulators so I am set as far as that goes.
Thanks all for your replies.... Wes

Johnch
11-15-2007, 09:29 PM
I have an old natural gas fired lead furnace that holds 1000 lbs. of linotype and I want to convert it to propane.

The new orfices will be smaller

Hopefuly the gas valve is common
So that a propane conversion kit is made

I agree , talk to the local propane supplyer

If he can't help you

Talk to the local HCAC supply house
The orifices are all normaly the same , so you can just change them
The gas valve
Normaly you change a spring and the spring retainer( just a different color for propane )

If you go to the HVAC supply house , you will need to know how many BTU's , some place there should be a plate with 100,000 BTU or something like that
Along with the other spec's

Also you will to know what gas valve you have now

If the gas valve isn't convertable , thay should be able to supply you with a suitable valve

John

hammerhead357
11-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Yes I think I will go talk to one of the areas propane equipment dealers.

I have purchased water heaters and portable heaters that all came with interchangable jets so I think there has to be a conversion ratio that will let me drill an orfice in my new jets and get really close to the output that I need.
Thanks to all who have replied Wes

MT Gianni
11-16-2007, 12:47 AM
Again since propane takes a smaller hole than nat gas you can not make it bigger and have it work. You need a smaller sized hole for propane. You may buy replacement orifices or install a broach to close up the hole. You might be able to peen the brass orifices shut and redrill them if you can do it with a 4 oz ball peen hammer and not change the overall angle or shape. You would have to find a gas man over 50 to do this as this practice has not been recommended to do for at least 25-30 years. G

Pepe Ray
11-16-2007, 01:45 AM
If your equipment is really old, you should check to see if you have a ready made solution. Back when I was in the business, most of the equipment had adjustable orifaces. The oriface head ,brass, hex head, open end wrench, turn clocwise to close, ccw to open. Adjust air controls as you go.
Pepe Ray

hammerhead357
11-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Ok the orfices were not adjustable but replaceable.
I went by the local propane supply house and ask this same question and the gentelman had an answer.
He had a chart that you could find the jet size for natural gas and the apporximate pressure for natural gas and this would give you the btu out put and then find the same btu output of propane and it would crossrefernce the proper jet size for propane.
As it turns out the jet size I will need is a #55 drill bit. Very easy chart to use and quick too.
Thanks so much to everyone who replied to my question...........Wes