PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 225415 Mods by Eric

TheCelt
11-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Reading about the testing done by Jim and Beagle on the .223 with cast Boolits got me fired me up!! I sent my hard earned cash to my favorite vendor for a new Lyman 225415 double cavity mold. Said mold arrived and I fired up the pot with visions of 10 round 1/2" groups (at 100 yards) with velocities ranging from 800 to 1800 fps in my head!!!

Well, my mold must have been the last one cut from a VERY worn Cherry cause the Boolits miked 0.2225" AT THE WIDEST using a high antimony alloy!!! To say I was disappointed is an understatement. Got to reading about Eric and the work he does so I figured I'd send it in to get the bands (3) opened up to 0.226". Read some more about Beagles testing and figured while Eric was opening up the bands I have his HP mod done on both cavities (a Cramer style mod).

Got the mold back from Eric and just had a chance to cast with it yesterday. The Boolits dropped from the pre-heated mold without difficulty and the Boolits mike 0.226" ON THE NOSE with WW alloy. Lubed and gas checked they weigh 50.1gr. Only problem I have now is the 415 punch is leaving a ring on the Boolit nose when sizing in the 4500 lube/sizer. Next is a push through die for a Star lube/sizer in 0.226" (a diameter used by Beagle with great success).

I cannot say enough about the fine job Eric did with this mold!!! I am back on track and hope to be duplicating Jim and Beagle's success with cast Boolits in the .223 soon!

More to follow............

JeffinNZ
11-19-2013, 04:32 AM
Erik is very good. He HPed a cavity in my 225462.

Ben
11-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Eric is a VERY talented machinist.

It is however a shame that you bought a brand new mold from Lyman and had to spend that kind of money to end up with a usable bullet.

You may want to try a flat nose punch with your 225415 bullet. I have one and it doesn't leave any marks on mine.

TheCelt
11-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Eric is a VERY talented machinist.

It is however a shame that you bought a brand new mold from Lyman and had to spend that kind of money to end up with a usable bullet.

You may want to try a flat nose punch with your 225415 bullet. I have one and it doesn't leave any marks on mine.

Ben, the flat nose punch is a good idea, I'll give it a shot. I have always liked the Ideal/Lyman molds but have not had much luck with them lately. This is the third NEW Lyman mold I've received with issues and it'll be my last. Since I joined this group ALL new molds except for this 225415 mold come from NOE or Miha, I still buy used Ideal molds from auction sites occasionally but won't buy another new Lyman mold, the QC is just not there anymore.

Ben
11-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Yes, I'll buy an old IDEAL at a gun show.

Ordering a new Lyman mold, NO WAY ! ! !

.22-10-45
11-22-2013, 08:53 PM
That flat nose punch is good advice..I have been using them for years..lets bullet center itself in those mostly out of line lubesizers. In my Hornet, I had gone the custom mould route for accuracy..Leeth nose-pour moulds..copy of the old Ideal 22636 in g.c. & plain-base @ 52grs. Lately I tried some samples from a dbl. cavity I had purchased back in the late 70's. I am going to have to have another go with this one..a couple of 3/8" 3 shot groups and alot of 5 shot ones from 1/2" to 3/4".
Speaking of buying an old Ideal...The one I had was for a 60gr. plain-base..probably for the old .22-15-60 Stevens. I chucked some up in bench lathe collet, & faced off to 50gr. On some, I turned G.C. shanks. I was getting 3/8 to 1/2" groups at 100yds...equaling the best jacketed match bullet accuracy from this Shillen barreled panneled action Sharps- Borchardt sporter. I sent samples off to Fred Leeth at Pioneer Products for nose-pour copies..these shot even better!

TheCelt
11-22-2013, 09:34 PM
That flat nose punch is good advice..I have been using them for years..lets bullet center itself in those mostly out of line lubesizers. In my Hornet, I had gone the custom mould route for accuracy..Leeth nose-pour moulds..copy of the old Ideal 22636 in g.c. & plain-base @ 52grs. Lately I tried some samples from a dbl. cavity I had purchased back in the late 70's. I am going to have to have another go with this one..a couple of 3/8" 3 shot groups and alot of 5 shot ones from 1/2" to 3/4".
Speaking of buying an old Ideal...The one I had was for a 60gr. plain-base..probably for the old .22-15-60 Stevens. I chucked some up in bench lathe collet, & faced off to 50gr. On some, I turned G.C. shanks. I was getting 3/8 to 1/2" groups at 100yds...equaling the best jacketed match bullet accuracy from this Shillen barreled panneled action Sharps- Borchardt sporter. I sent samples off to Fred Leeth at Pioneer Products for nose-pour copies..these shot even better!

How fast are ya pushing those Boolits??? I want to duplicate 22 mag performance so I plan on keeping the velocity of the 51gr pills around 1800 fps. If I can get 1" groups at 100 yards I'll be a happy camper!!!