PDA

View Full Version : 1891 Argentine Mauser

bobcat57
11-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Hello from a noobe

I have an 1891 Argi,it has all matching #'s but sadly the stock has been cut down and sporterized,so with that being said I am looking for a REAL sport stock made to fit but wont break the bank,also should I drill and tap for a scope or use the instamount ?
It seems to put the scope really far away from the eye.
This thing shoots great,4 out of 5 gallon jugs of water at 100 yds with the iron sights,I was really impressed.
The rifle has sentimental value so I could never part with it but it WILL be hunted.

gew98
11-18-2013, 08:49 PM
You can mount inexpensive two peice scope bases to the receiver - front and rear bridge by Weaver for example...which likely would entail properly bending the bolt handle to clear. Anything else is a half measure and a recipe for problems down the road.

Larry Gibson
11-18-2013, 09:08 PM
The M91 can easily be D&T'd for a receiver mounted scope. The 1 piece base for the SR Mauser fits as does the two piece bases mentioned. Problem with a receiver mounted scope on the M91 is the lack of a currently available scope safety. With a scope mounted the issue safety can not be readily used. I prefer to make my own "scout" base with one piece Leupold, Redfield or Burris bases. A quality intermediate scope has the proper eye relief.

Larry Gibson

polara426sh
11-19-2013, 09:55 AM
I have one of the ones with the half bent bolt also. The muzzle on mine was dinged up, so I took it to the smith to have it cut and recrowned. While it was there, I had him put on a Lyman receiver sight(like the one on Larry's rifle above) and a ramp front with a bead and a hood. It's now my favorite rifle. It shoots about 1 1/2 - 2 inches at 100 using the 185 grain Lee with 2400.

As far as aftermarket stocks go, I know Richard's Microfit inlets for the 91, but I haven't really researched it that much.

Edit: I just checked Boyd's, and they offer their RIA stock in a 95% inlet for the 1891 in nutmeg laminate.

adrians
11-19-2013, 10:49 AM
The Lyman receiver sights make a huge difference on my 91, unfortunately I don't have the rear sight base to put a scout setup on it like Larry has ,so as my eyesight goes downhill , in time I will need to d/t for a scope.
BTW I think mine has a Fajen ( or Bishop ) stock on it...

Larry Gibson
11-19-2013, 11:46 AM
I call the scout M91 "Evita" and here is the final load/accuracy confirmation of my jacketed hunting load. I shot 3 shot groups (if I ain't got the deer by then might as well quit shooting......) and let the barrel fully cool between groups. As you can see that load was also pressure tested with the M43 PBL and the psi falls below 2 lots of Argentine and one of Belgian 7.75 milsurp and right at the same psi as Hornady's factory load with the same bullet. While these groups are all less than moa a 5 shot group runs right at moa and a 10 shot group will give about 1 1/4 moa which is what I've found to be the actual accuracy capability day in and day out. I'm not like some who would take that .42" group and claim that was the accuracy capability let alone the "average " of the 4 groups. Doing such, though ego bolstering, is not a really indication of the accuracy capability. I am well satisfied with the 1 1/4" true capability. BTW; Evita does the same with a C312-185 or 314299 in the 1850 - 1900 fps range.

Larry Gibson

Scharfschuetze
11-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Bobcat,

As noted above, you can't go wrong with that Model 91. My son's 91 looks just like yours and is a good shooter. I make the cases out of Lake City 30/06 military brass using a form and trim die from RCBS and it is a very easy cartridge to load for once the cases are made. As "Evita" demonstrates, your rifle should make an ideal "Scout Rifle" with the forward mounted scope you mention. As long as the ocular lens is forward of the rear of the receiver ring, you can also use five round stripper clips to quickly load your magazine and with practice, that's actually as fast or faster than changing a detachable magazine out. Not only that, but you also have the advantage of a good peep sight as a back up sight.

I've had the pleasure of shooting Evita a couple of different times and she is just perfect for fun or hunting. She's also a good example of Larry's skill as a gunsmith.

As they would say in Argentina: !Evita es la bomba!

bobcat57
11-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Thank you everyone for all the input,looks like I have some decisions to make.
Larry do you make them for sale ? if so can I install it myself or does a smith have to do it ?

Larry Gibson
11-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Sorry I do not make them for sale.....I'm supposed to be "retired".......

It is not that hard to do with files and a drill press. The hole has to be drilled through the base matching the rear sight base "ear" holes for the through pin. One other hole is D&T'd up front. I can talk/PM you through it if you've the skill and tools?

Larry Gibson