PDA

View Full Version : 1875 sharps manual

Turboman
11-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Anyone got a breakdown of the 1875 c sharps actions?Just want something to go by before I break her down.Want to give her a complete cleaning,mainspring firing pin the works.Any help would be most appreciated.
jeff

Don McDowell
11-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Call C Sharps, they'll most likely send you the sheet on it.
Not much different than breaking down a 74 sharps, except you need a screw driver to get the breechblock pin out. Putting the firing pin and spring back in will be the biggest trick. Really don't think I'ld take it apart if you don't have to.

Nobade
11-19-2013, 09:02 AM
They are incredibly simple to work on. But as Don says, the only trick is getting the firing pin with its retracting spring back into the block. I find a knife or piece of feeler gauge stock does the trick there. Otherwise there is nothing to it - just take the lever spring off the barrel first to release pressure on the lever.

-Nobade

bigted
11-20-2013, 04:59 AM
indeed the sharps design [74 or 75 models] are the most straight forward action of any I have ever seen. this very simplicity is very fitting to camp life and the rough handling and tough jobs that they were built for. WAY better suited in my opinion for military applications where the rifle can be cleaned or swabbed from the breech AND the ease of disassembly for complete cleaning chores.

BUT the trapdoor won out for some reason so that leaves us with the wrong rifle ...[world according to Ted]... in the high collectors value. should be trapdoors that are in the thousands of dollars and our favorite sharps could be had for the 500 to 1500 dollar price tag. ... ho hum ... such is life. everything I hold dear is way above my pocketbook it seems. aint it the truth?

XTR
11-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Ted, one of the things I see on a regular enough basis is someone who argues that "it's what the [insert branch of service here] uses". Um, yea, that usually means it's built by the low bidder and 5 to 20 yrs behind current tech, but hey, you use what you want to use. :)