PDA

View Full Version : 30 cal swaging cheat!

Slimjim33
11-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Ok. I was looking through my boolit mould collection.
I was thinking.
If I cast these in pure lead. Put on a gas check. Could I then make a open ended jacket die and squish these boolits into a jacket?
I could then end up with a 3/4 lenght lead soft piont!

As I'm not swaging the jacket I could even make a reamer and ream say 20 jacket cavities in alluminum! That way I could mount it in my shop hydrolic press. And do 20 at a time!

Has any one done this?

aaronraad
11-19-2013, 01:11 AM
I recall seeing a video of where a 12G solid slug was cast directly into a copper cup for a jacket. If you search YouTube you'll probably come across it. It might give you some more ideas.

Love to see a video of the Speer HotCore process if anyone has a link to one.

reed1911
11-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Are you talking about casting directly into the 1/2 jacket or only using a jacket roughly 1/2 the length of the bullet? I've done the latter and at lower velocity it works well, mainly with pistol calibers I have not cast directly into the jacket though.

Slimjim33
11-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Well I was actually thinking of a jacket with no base. With a semi closed point.
Then Casting the bullet into the jacket!
A spritzer kind of thing! But one where the jacket ogive comes up 3/4 of the way to the tip!
I figure that I can make a multi cavity mould and do say 20 bullets a time!

Hickory
11-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Love to see a video of the Speer HotCore process if anyone has a link to one.

I went through the CCI plant in Lewiston back in the 70's and saw their hot core machine pumping out bullets at a rate of about one per second.
Had what looked like a 100lb tilt pot pouring lead directly into the jacket. It was something to see.

reed1911
11-19-2013, 11:07 AM
hmm...interesting concept. I think were I to envision something like that I'd make it at about .304 and bump it up in the die to ensure uniformity with a small bleed hole at the tip of the die to ensure weight was uniform as well.