In December 2013, the final primary lead smelter in the United States will

close. The lead smelter, located in Herculaneum , Missouri , and owned and

operated by the Doe Run Company, has existed in the same location since

The Herculaneum Smelter is currently the only smelter in the United States

which can produce lead bullion from raw lead ore that is mined nearby in

Missouri 's extensive lead deposits, giving the smelter its "primary"

designation. The lead bullion produced in Herculaneum is then sold to lead

product producers, including ammunition manufactures for use in conventional

ammunition components such as projectiles, projectile cores, and primers. .

Doe Run made significant efforts to reduce lead emissions from the smelter,

but in 2008 the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued new National

Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the

previous standard. Given the new lead air quality standard, Doe Run made the

decision to close the Herculaneum smelter.

It would be hard to imagine a better example of the Obama Regime's use of

the EPA to impose backdoor tyranny. We would let you have guns, but you see

lead causes air pollution.

If you think ammo prices are high now, wait until they close the smelter.

I checked this out and it is true.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/doe-run-workers-to-be-cut-at-end-of-december/article_56182c9f-0413-59a5-865e-e864715f3c2d.html

The plant IS closing at the end of this year due to EPA rules and

regulations.

btroj
11-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Old news. Yawn

Lee
11-18-2013, 06:15 PM
PRIMARY. Not the Secondary smelters. That said, and I agree, whoever the coal/gas/fracking/lead/etc Marxists are that are doing this @#$%, common sense somehow needs to prevail. Unfortunately that won't happen with the current crop of mindless, entrenched sucklers in "our" gubmint.
On another note, when the lead is gone, and your batteries are dead, well... you ain't goin nowhere.
Just the way they want it...... Heh Heh Heh

StratsMan
11-18-2013, 06:24 PM
What Lee said...

The real market for lead is Secondary Smelters... The operating permit for Doe Run was for 16 tons of lead per 8 hour shift, and they were only allowed to run for 1 shift per day. That's less than 6,000 tons per year in a market of about 1.2 million tons per year of demand. If I recall, over 80% of the demand for lead in this country comes from recycled materials (car batteries)... Spot price of lead today is about 93 cents per pound... Three years ago it was $1.25... I don't see this driving ammo prices up nearly as dramatically as taxes and politics...

doctorggg
11-18-2013, 06:51 PM
What Lee said...

The real market for lead is Secondary Smelters... The operating permit for Doe Run was for 16 tons of lead per 8 hour shift, and they were only allowed to run for 1 shift per day. That's less than 6,000 tons per year in a market of about 1.2 million tons per year of demand. If I recall, over 80% of the demand for lead in this country comes from recycled materials (car batteries)... Spot price of lead today is about 93 cents per pound... Three years ago it was $1.25... I don't see this driving ammo prices up nearly as dramatically as taxes and politics...

I certainly hope you are correct.

bangerjim
11-18-2013, 09:39 PM
People......please.........do a search on here B4 starting new threads on subjects!!!!!!

This has been news since 2010!

There are at least 6 threads on here now with this "breaking news".

This will not bother our usage of lead in the slightest. Too many recyclers and re-processors out there and Doe Run is talking about opening a new smelter in the future.

banger

Skip62
11-22-2013, 09:32 PM
But to the uninformed, ie OP, this will drive people to continue to stock pile, which will effect our ability to buy ammo... like .22's.