PDA

View Full Version : Source for Outers Lead Out??

cb4017
11-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Hi Gents, I'm not sure where this post belongs so I apologize if it's in the wrong place.

I have an Outers Foul Out II. It still works great but I am in need of the Lead Out solution. It seems Outers has discontinued this stuff. I ordered some online but just received an email stating they were unable to complete my order.

Anybody know of a source?

Thanks!

MtGun44
11-18-2013, 02:39 PM
You can make your own. I'll check around and see where my reference is but basically
you need a buffered lead salt solution, although I think any buffered electrolyte will
work fine. I think just some sodium acetate should be fine, but I'll get back to you
on that. Of course, where you get a small amount of sodium acetate, I don't know.

I think the original is lead acetate, if you can locate that. Then just mix up with
distilled water

You want the buffered solution to avoid pulling steel out of the barrel.

Bill

runfiverun
11-18-2013, 07:27 PM
by buffered he might mean PH neutralized.

Idz
11-18-2013, 08:08 PM
try these

Copper Solution
562.3 grains Ammonium Acetate
51.3 grains Copper Acetate or 58.3 grains Cupric Acetate Monohydrate
Add distilled (or high megohm deionized) water to make 1 Qt.

Lead Solution
562.3 grains Ammonium Acetate
95.0 grains Lead Acetate or 110.8 grains of Lead Acetate Trihydrate
Add distilled (or high megohm deionized) water to make 1 Qt.

btroj
11-18-2013, 08:18 PM
by buffered he might mean PH neutralized.

Technically a buffered solution contains a buffer, something that resists changes in pH. A buffer would help maintain the pH in a specific range unless a large amount of acid or base was added.

10mmShooter
11-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Hi CB,

Hmmm I've seen that avatar before over on the M14 forum :) Seventh Fleet uses it there, I keep it simple my user name is the same on both forums. Anyway welcome this is a great forum as well.

Rainier
11-18-2013, 08:45 PM
This was posted on another forum but has the formula to make replacement solvent for the Outers...

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

geargnasher
11-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Use a Chore Boy or bronze wool and a bronze brush. Lead acetate won't conduct ions of tin or antimony, rendering the solution somewhat ineffective. The copper stuff won't conduct the zinc found in gilding metal, either, requiring frequent mechanical scrubbings and degreasings between sessions of the FO before all the "copper fouling" comes out.

Gear

Wally
01-19-2014, 11:30 AM
You can make ammonium acetate but combing equal parts of vinegar and household ammonia (clear, not sudsy)... Lead acetate can be obtained from a chemical supply house or you can make your own, but it is not easy. Basically you take fresh lead shavings and immerse in concentrated household vinegar and let it sit for a few months---You then filter it, allow the water to evaporate and you have lead acetate. I don't believe that you need to have a precise amount for it to work. If you don't have enough, it will just take longer for it to work.

I bought a gallon of Outers Lead Foul Out years ago as I anticipated that one day it'd be unavailable. At first I thought it was goofy because RCBS seems so good about such things...even I was surprised that they no longer make it. I have found I can cut it 50/50 with distilled water and it works just fine. I also reuse it until it is no longer clear.

imashooter2
01-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Use a Chore Boy or bronze wool and a bronze brush. Lead acetate won't conduct ions of tin or antimony, rendering the solution somewhat ineffective. The copper stuff won't conduct the zinc found in gilding metal, either, requiring frequent mechanical scrubbings and degreasings between sessions of the FO before all the "copper fouling" comes out.

Gear

While what you say regards the chemistry may be technically correct, in practical application, I have not found these shortcomings evident.

willie_pete
01-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Be careful with lead acetate; it is highly toxic.

WP

Wally
01-19-2014, 10:40 PM
While what you say regards the chemistry may be technically correct, in practical application, I have not found these shortcomings evident.

I second that...I just cleaned 7 often used pistols with my Outers Foul Out II... Only with 3 did I have to remove the solution and clean the barrel to get the "clean" light to go on. Even with them all I needed to do was to pass a tight fitting patch once through then a few passes with a metal brush. I have yet to ever have any pistol that has been shot with lead bullets not to have a surprising amount of lead come out of the barrel when I use the Foul Out machine. And that is even after I have used a Lewis lead remover and/or the Chore Boy brush..and even with gas checked bullets. Makes no different with the bullet alloy, lube, or even when shooting "fat" bullets. There is always lead fouling in the barrel.