PDA

View Full Version : Conicals, Minnies, Maxis, and Fast Twist Oh My!

Lefty Red
11-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Has anyone had any experiance with Minnies or Maxis or REALS in a fast twist rate barrel? I know I don't need a 100-150 grain charge with them. My Omega likes the larger, 475 cal, bullets and was thinking of just dropping the sabot all together and go full size bullets.

Lefty

johnson1942
11-18-2013, 11:43 AM
read every thing you can that idaho ron posted on paperpatch bullets. if you have questions, ask. once you go paperpatch you wont go back. a paperpatch bullet will turn you gun into gun way beyound expectaions of your self and the company that built it. you will be able to hit better, at longer distances and drop any game in north america or alaska. go for it.

Larry Gibson
11-18-2013, 03:19 PM
I shoot Maxi-Balls (375 gr out of my TC Blk Mtn Magnum 50 cal with a 28" twist at 1570 fps. I load them over 90 gr of Triple 7 FFFG. They are cast of 16 - 1 alloy to hold up to that acceleration. Expansion on game is incredible. Accuracy is excellent. Here's 100 yards with 6 shots (1st down the pipe, next 5 from the speed loaders) w/o cleaning between shots.

Larry Gibson

Lefty Red
11-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Curse you guys! Now I want to paper patch! I am so glad you said that. I was reading up on paperpatching and using .458 cal bullets in it. Guess I just want to learn a new skill. And I have been looking at Sharps, so why not!

Funny thing, I was at LGS and this guy walks in and asks if anyone was shooting an Omega and needed advice on a load for it. Owner calls me over and I tell the guys to use the T/C Shockwaves and start at 80gr of T7 and work your way up. I said really no need for anything else. Guy thanked me, grab the items and said if this was what I shot in my Omega. I said nope, but did shot a 3 shot group with them and it was a great group. He asked what I shot, I told him a saboted .475" SP, but was looking to cast my own .50ish bullets, size them down and paper patch them. He asked why? Owner said cause he doesn't run the bars like normal single guys! :)

Now I am pumped!

Lefty

Lefty Red
11-18-2013, 04:14 PM
I shoot Maxi-Balls (375 gr out of my TC Blk Mtn Magnum 50 cal with a 28" twist at 1570 fps. I load them over 90 gr of Triple 7 FFFG. They are cast of 16 - 1 alloy to hold up to that acceleration. Expansion on game is incredible. Accuracy is excellent. Here's 100 yards with 6 shots (1st down the pipe, next 5 from the speed loaders) w/o cleaning between shots.

Larry Gibson

That is awesome Larry! Good thing to know in case a herd of zombie deer charge me! :kidding:
Seriously, that is a great group even if it wasn't from speed loaders and no swabbing between shoots!

Lefty

Lefty Red
11-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Larry

I just reread and that is awesome for a group AT 100 YARDS! I would be happy with that group at 50!

Lefty

idahoron
11-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Lefty, I am sure you have seen my posts and groups. I settle for sub 2" groups but I strive for 1" or smaller at 100 yards. I sent you a note but I am pouring the Lee C-501-440-RF out of lead that is slightly harder than pure. I would say that they are 6 to 7 BHN. On my Cabine Tree tester they are .035 to .038 on the dial. Like I said that is a pinch harder than pure but not much. I wrap them dry and size them dry. By dry sizing they make a nice crisp folds and the paper stays on nicely until it reaches the muzzle. It becomes confetti at that point.
One thing you will find once you develop your load is consistency. They shoot the same every time and it is so consistent that it is a relief every year when I break out the rifle to hunt with for the year and it hits exactly the same place from 50 yards out to 300.
The Lee 500 S&W bullets are the best bullets I have ever shot at game. I have seen and know of dozens of deer, antelope and elk that have been killed with them. Your not going to find one in an animal unless something weird happens, ir it is an elk. I shot a cow this year go back and find the thread. The bullet smashed the shoulder and I found it in the flank. When your talking horse power this load is it. Ron

Lefty Red
11-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Yes, have went back and read and ordered some paper and the mold and sizer. Looks like PB&J for Thanksgiving, but I will have fun!
Lefty

idahoron
11-18-2013, 11:50 PM
Now that is funny! If you have questions feel free to ask. Remember to use soft lead. If the paper scrapes off the bullet the lead is too hard. Ron