PDA

View Full Version : Thumler's Tumbler Model B Drive Belt Life - Poor

Bayou52
11-17-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm only getting about 20 tumbling hours on each Thumler's Model B drive belt. These are new drive belts made and sold for this tumbler - not a knockoff or copy.

I see no reason why these belts don't last longer - there is nothing out of alignment - the motor and axel pulleys are aligned. The bushings are appropriately lubed, there's no sway in the drum as it tumbles, and the belt channel in the drive pulley is smooth - no burs. I run the drum at 13 pounds which is 2 pounds under its 15 pound capacity.

These belts aren't cheap $5 - $6 apiece plus shipping - and I'm getting tired of popping for them.

Let's hear it - what kind of belt life are you getting from your Thumler's tumbler Model B drive belt?

Any suggestions on why I'm not getting a longer belt life here? I appreciate the comments -

Bayou52

VHoward
11-17-2013, 09:51 PM
4 hours a week for 2 years and the belt on mine is still good. The one that came with it. Don't know why yours is breaking.

bhn22
11-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Maybe it is time to try a locally sourced belt instead of the factory one.

Dutchninja
11-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Bayou52, Like I said under some of the other topics about SS pin tumbling, I fill that drum 3/4 full of whatever I'm tumbling (rifle or pistol) and run it to 3-4 hours. I don't weight any of the brass or count them out, dump them, fill with water, and run it. I am still on my original belt and have not had to replace anything. I have tons of hours on mine with no issues at all. (watch tomorrow something will let loose now) I wish I had a suggestion for you.

Catshooter
11-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Have you asked the factory?

Cat

Horace
11-18-2013, 12:12 AM
My factory round belt is made of clear urethane and can be melted with a heat knife and rejoined.What is yours made of and how is it wearing out?

Horace

blikseme300
11-18-2013, 05:02 AM
No idea why the OP's unit is eating belts as mine is still going strong with the original belt and has done hundreds of pounds of brass over the past 3 years. I don't weigh the brass loads and just half fill the drum with brass and fill to about 1" of the top with water then add Lemishine and Dawn and tumble for 4 hours.

I would speak with the factory service rep if I was having this issue.

Airman Basic
11-18-2013, 06:30 AM
Agreed something specific to your setup. I'm still on the original black belt after 20 or so years? Bought one of the clear ones for backup couple of years ago. (probably shouldn't be tempting fate this way.)

Bayou52
11-18-2013, 06:31 AM
My factory round belt is made of clear urethane and can be melted with a heat knife and rejoined.What is yours made of and how is it wearing out?

Horace

Thanks, Hoace- the belts are breaking rather than wearing out. They are made of a clear material.

Will try calling the factory since I don't see any reason why the belts are breaking so fast.

Bayou52

Dutchninja
11-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Bayou52, out of curiosity does your motor bounce / vibrate quite a bit while it is running?

zuke
11-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks, Hoace- the belts are breaking rather than wearing out. They are made of a clear material.

Will try calling the factory since I don't see any reason why the belts are breaking so fast.

Bayou52

Your drum's over loaded

Moonman
11-18-2013, 08:36 AM
15 pound Thumbler's Tumbler Model "B" STANDARD LOADING AS FOLLOWS:

5 pounds SS Media,
1 Gallon water (8 Pounds), I use an empty milk jug to measure.
Dawn Soap, Lemi-Shine
2 (TWO) POUNDS OF "BRASS CASES".

Total LOAD = 15 POUNDS OF WEIGHT (5+8=2=15).

Bayou52
11-18-2013, 09:02 AM
Bayou52, out of curiosity does your motor bounce / vibrate quite a bit while it is running?

Hi, Duthninja - the motor runs smoothly - no vibrations, and the drum turns smoothly too - no lags, stoppages, slippages or the such. That's why this problem of broken belts is so perplexing. - and expensive!

Thanks, Bayou52

Bayou52
11-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Your drum's over loaded

Hi, Zuke -

I run the drum at 13 pounds - 1 gallon of water (8 pounds), 3 pounds of SS pins and 2 pounds of brass. The drum is rated for 15 pounds as was stated in another post.

This problem is perplexing.

As stated in other responses, I'm going to call the Tru-Square office today and discuss/complain to them. I may ask that they send out a replacement drive axel to try out. I hope they are cooperative as I'm just past the 1 year warranty on the tumbler.

Bayou52

Moonman
11-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Bayou52,

Any BURRS on the pulleys?????

Lay a STRAIGHTEDGE along side the pulleys and check THEIR ALIGNMENT.

mold maker
11-18-2013, 10:20 AM
One of my units is near 25 years old and I have only replaced the belt twice. Right now I have a 1/4" O ring on it.

Bayou52
11-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Bayou52,

Any BURRS on the pulleys?????

Lay a STRAIGHTEDGE along side the pulleys and check THEIR ALIGNMENT.

Great suggestion, Moonman -

FYI - I just got off the phone with the factory. Spoke with the owner. Very cooperative. He said he will send me a new drive axle with the large pulley in the event it is not spinning true.

By the way, there were burs on the pulley channel. Left over from the molding process, I guess. Anyway, I sanded them out a while back, and the channel is smooth. Belts are still breaking, though.

Will try your straight edge method. Good suggestion.

Bayou52

Walter Laich
11-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Keep us informed--would like to know what happens on this topic

Airman Basic
11-18-2013, 01:31 PM
A thought. Seems like I remember some of the motors turned faster on the new tumblers. Don't know if that's motor speed, pulley size, or a combination. Worth checking with the new pulley they're sending you.

montana_charlie
11-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Belt too tight ...

prs
11-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Hmmm. Mine is pretty durn old and original belt and I am really bad to over load it to darn near full of brass plus the water and such. I don't even have a spare, figure to use a round vacuum cleaner belt if I need to.

prs

gwpercle
11-18-2013, 02:27 PM
When I get home tonight I will post the make and model number of a vaccuum cleaner belt that I use on my older Thumbler's Model B. I got tired of the expense of factory belts + postage and the new clear belts didn't last. These vaccuum cleaner belts can be picked up from WallMart , two come in a package for less then five dollars. they are the black kind. The first one has been on there for about three years, cleaning a load or two once a month. The second belt is still in the package.
Gary

Bayou52
11-18-2013, 04:38 PM
When I get home tonight I will post the make and model number of a vaccuum cleaner belt that I use on my older Thumbler's Model B. I got tired of the expense of factory belts + postage and the new clear belts didn't last. These vaccuum cleaner belts can be picked up from WallMart , two come in a package for less then five dollars. they are the black kind. The first one has been on there for about three years, cleaning a load or two once a month. The second belt is still in the package.
Gary

Thanks, Gary -

I'd appreciate the name and model number of that vacuum belt you are using on your Model B. The clear replacement belts are expensive and don't seem to last long - for me, at least.

Bayou52

338RemUltraMag
11-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Gary

This is why America is great, always adapting and finding a better way! I tool am interested in what belt you use.

gwpercle
11-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Okay guy's I got it,
Durabelt (yellow and blue pkg.) product number 65100.
front says Eureka RD 2 belts
Fits model/ series
Eurika 400, 1400, 1900, 2000, 4000, 5000, 6400 & 7500.

The inside diameter is 3 5/8 inch , the belt is 1/4 in thick, in dia. ( it is slightly thicker than stock but fits nicely).
Now the best part...if you shop at wallymart they cost $2.49 for a pack of TWO ...thats $1.25 , no shipping , no handling and you don't have to wait for delivery.
There may be others that fit, I took an old broken Thumbler's belt with me and went thru the ones on the rack untill I found a match. $2.50 was worth a try...put it on, slightly thicker, but by-golly it works.

Bayou52,
You sir are welcome, there is more than one way to keep our Thumbler's tumbling. Us swamp rats got to stick together.
Gary,
Certified card carring Cajun.

RugerFan
11-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Okay guy's I got it,
Fits model/ series

The inside diameter is 3 5/8 inch , the belt is 1/4 in thick, in dia. ( it is slightly thicker than stock but fits nicely).
Now the best part...if you shop at wallymart they cost $2.49 for a pack of TWO ...thats $1.25 , no shipping , no handling and you don't have to wait for delivery.
There may be others that fit, I took an old broken Thumbler's belt with me and went thru the ones on the rack untill I found a match. $2.50 was worth a try...put it on, slightly thicker, but by-golly it works.

Bayou52,
You sir are welcome, there is more than one way to keep our Thumbler's tumbling. Us swamp rats got to stick together.
Gary,

That's good know.

Bayou52
11-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Okay guy's I got it,
Fits model/ series

Bayou52,
Gary,

Gary -

This is great information on a reasonably priced replacement belt.

I'm going to pick up a couple of them at WallyWorld.

Thanks again. BTW, I'm in Slidell-

Bayou52

medalguy
11-19-2013, 02:56 AM
I'm still using the original belts on both tumblers I use. The newest one is about 5 years old, the other much older, maybe 12 - 15 years. I agree, possibly the tension is too tight. That will cause belts to break for sure.

Bayou52
11-19-2013, 06:42 AM
I agree, possibly the tension is too tight. That will cause belts to break for sure.

Seems to be most opinions that tension is too tight. But there is no adjustment for tension on the tumbler. One thing I had been boing was removing the belt off the pulleys prior to storage in the thought this would reduce stretching of the belt. Maybe I'll just leave the belt on the pulley for storage.

Bayou52

9.3X62AL
11-19-2013, 07:36 AM
This is surprising to read. My first Model B is 28 years old, and might be on its fifth belt. It's on its second drive and idler axle sets. It is used 3x-4x a month, for 8-12 hour durations with #14-#20 corncob grit poured over a drum 1/3 to 1/2 full of brass. I never thought to weigh the loads, and didn't know what its capacity was. I bought a second Model B ~3 years ago, it is at least as old as my first one--the drum rolls more slowly, but just as reliably. I count these machines as among my most dependable and reliable reloading tools--right along with the Rockchucker.

'74 sharps
11-19-2013, 07:41 AM
Check FleaBay for belts. Never had one break, only lose tension and start slipping.

winelover
11-19-2013, 07:51 AM
This is surprising to read. My first Model B is 28 years old, and might be on its fifth belt. It's on its second drive and idler axle sets. It is used 3x-4x a month, for 8-12 hour durations with #14-#20 corncob grit poured over a drum 1/3 to 1/2 full of brass. I never thought to weigh the loads, and didn't know what its capacity was. I bought a second Model B ~3 years ago, it is at least as old as my first one--the drum rolls more slowly, but just as reliably. I count these machines as among my most dependable and reliable reloading tools--right along with the Rockchucker.

I'm getting about the same service out of my ancient Model B. I use O-rings as drive belts. Brought a life-time supply from work, years ago. Been so long that I forgot what the size is, an when I last replaced it!

Winelover

Bayou52
11-19-2013, 08:47 AM
This is surprising to read. My first Model B is 28 years old, and might be on its fifth belt. It's on its second drive and idler axle sets. I count these machines as among my most dependable and reliable reloading tools--right along with the Rockchucker.

I wish I was getting the same service as y'all out of my Thumler's Model B belts! I will be changing the drive axle next (Tru-Square said yesterday they will mail me a new one), and also trying o-rings instead of the clear replacement belts.

Bayou52

barrybrice
11-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Just wanted to add to this discussion regarding replacement belts. Don't forget to check hardware stores for o-rings. They are also the same and there is a larger variety of sizes. My belt gave up a few years ago and I replaced it with a o-ring that was for a water filtration system.

gmsharps
11-19-2013, 09:28 AM
There is a vaccum cleaner belt that fits also. I do not have the number at my location. You used to be able to get them at Walmart.

gmsharps

gwpercle
11-19-2013, 01:26 PM
I think the reason my Thumbler's belts and Bayou52's break is the darn South Louisiana heat and humidity...it gets to everything. Seems if you live in Califorina or New mexico they will last for decades.....thats my story and I'm sticking with it.
I also think necessity is not the mother of invention....being dirt poor or cheap leads to a lot of inventive ways.
O-rings work too, I just go to WallyMart every week grocery shopping and saw them in vacuum cleaner dept...they were cheaper than hardware store o-rings . My hardware store has everything you could want and people to help you find it..but you PAY big time for that service. They was real proud of them rings... near $4.00 EACH.

Gussy
11-19-2013, 01:54 PM
I use a standard "O" ring from a hydraulics shop. Tell them the use because they have different types of material. My first (replacement "O" ring) didn't last and now that I have the different material it has lasted a couple of years and still going. Oh yeah, a buck a pop for the "belt".

Bayou52
11-19-2013, 02:36 PM
I think the reason my Thumbler's belts and Bayou52's break is the darn South Louisiana heat and humidity...it gets to everything.

Gwpercle - you make a good point about heat and humidity. That could be the explanation for our short belt life in south Louisiana.

When you buy o-rings, do you happen to know the inside diameter? Is it 3 3/4" or 3 5/8"?

I believe the cross section diameter of the Model B belt is 3/16".

Thanks!

Bayou52

Bayou52
11-19-2013, 02:40 PM
I use a standard "O" ring from a hydraulics shop. Tell them the use because they have different types of material. My first (replacement "O" ring) didn't last and now that I have the different material it has lasted a couple of years and still going. Oh yeah, a buck a pop for the "belt".

Hi, Gussy - I was just asking gwpercle, but perhaps you may know, too -

Do you happen to know the inside diameter of the Thumler's Model B belt? Is it 3 3/4" or 3 5/8"?

I believe the cross section diameter of the Model B belt is 3/16".

I think it may be 3 3/4", but would like to confitm that for purchasing o-rings.

Thanks-

Bayou52

gwpercle
11-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Bayou52,
Found old broken Thumbler belt, taped it together and , with dial caliper, the best inside diameter measurment I get is 3.970 to 3.975 thickness is 0.275.
The vacuum cleaner belt inside diameter is 3.80 ( a bit smaller) and thickness is o.275 ( the same ).
The vacuum cleaner belt is a snugger fit than the Thumbler. I was having way to much trouble measuring with a ruler and hope the caliper measurments are better. When you go looking for o-rings bring an old Thumbler belt to compare and let us know what you find and how it works.

Gary

Bayou52
11-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Gary -

Thanks for your help in taking measurements of the belt. Your suggestion about taking an old belt along for comparison is one that I'll follow fot sure.

Thanks, Gary

Bayou52

mosby's men
11-19-2013, 10:36 PM
great thread this is my next purchase so im reading everything I can find

9.3X62AL
11-20-2013, 02:57 AM
Not often humid here, but we get heat at high interest rates in this desert I live in. Heat hasn't sapped the tumblers as far as I can tell.

Bayou52
11-20-2013, 06:35 AM
great thread this is my next purchase so im reading everything I can find

The Thumler's Tumbler Model B high speed does a great job of wet tumbling. Your brass will look better than new each tumble. I'm continually amazed at the results.

The tumbler needed a few adjustments out of the box which were easy enough. The only lingering issue I'm having is with short belt life.

However, I seem to be in the minority on this issue, as most folks aren't reporting any problem with this. The company said they woud mail a new drive axle. So, they are working with me.

I'd recommend this tumbler under the circumstances.

Bayou52

gwpercle
11-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Not often humid here, but we get heat at high interest rates in this desert I live in. Heat hasn't sapped the tumblers as far as I can tell.
I was sorta joking...we blame everything on the heat and humidity in Louisiana. :kidding:
It sure is nice to see all you fellow Louisiana caster and reloaders on site, I was starting to feel alone.
Gary

parkerdude
04-04-2014, 11:48 PM
I'm only getting about 20 tumbling hours on each Thumler's Model B drive belt. These are new drive belts made and sold for this tumbler - not a knockoff or copy.

I see no reason why these belts don't last longer - there is nothing out of alignment - the motor and axel pulleys are aligned. The bushings are appropriately lubed, there's no sway in the drum as it tumbles, and the belt channel in the drive pulley is smooth - no burs. I run the drum at 13 pounds which is 2 pounds under its 15 pound capacity.

These belts aren't cheap $5 - $6 apiece plus shipping - and I'm getting tired of popping for them.

Let's hear it - what kind of belt life are you getting from your Thumler's tumbler Model B drive belt?

Any suggestions on why I'm not getting a longer belt life here? I appreciate the comments -

Bayou52

This isn't a knock-off or copy, this is an industrial vacuum cleaner belt / thick O-ring.
Inexpensive, durable, fits well. $1.35 free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Vacuum-Belt-Sanitaire-by-Eureka/dp/B0006619RG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395927028&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=eureka+replacement+belt+52100+OR+30563

retread
04-05-2014, 01:37 AM
15 pound Thumbler's Tumbler Model "B" STANDARD LOADING AS FOLLOWS:

5 pounds SS Media,
1 Gallon water (8 Pounds), I use an empty milk jug to measure.
Dawn Soap, Lemi-Shine
2 (TWO) POUNDS OF "BRASS CASES".

Total LOAD = 15 POUNDS OF WEIGHT (5+8=2=15).

I was told that the formula was 1-1-1, so I use 2 lb. SS pins to 2 lbs. water and 2 lbs. of brass. I tumble about 4 hours in my shopmade tumbler with Joy and Lemi-shine and brass comes out bright and shiny, primers pockets and insides clean and shiny. Wondering why all the excess water is needed in the Thumbler. That is an additional 6 lbs that needs to be moved. Just wondering.

Bayou52
04-05-2014, 08:54 AM
I was told that the formula was 1-1-1, so I use 2 lb. SS pins to 2 lbs. water and 2 lbs. of brass. I tumble about 4 hours in my shopmade tumbler with Joy and Lemi-shine and brass comes out bright and shiny, primers pockets and insides clean and shiny. Wondering why all the excess water is needed in the Thumbler. That is an additional 6 lbs that needs to be moved. Just wondering.

I've heard that some wet tumblers use just enough water to cover the brass and not much more. I think more water is called for so that the drum gets completely filled depending on the size of the drum, etc.

skeet1
04-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Bayou52,
When I first got my Model B I discovered that the pulleys were not lined up and adjusted them so they were. Could this be the problem with you tumbler?

Ken

Airman Basic
04-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Hear y'all talking about "high speed" Thumlers. Maybe they sped it up since I got mine 30 odd years ago? Smaller pulley or something? Thought it might be why some have the busted belt problem and some not. Seems like starting up a heavy load of water, pins and brass would be tougher on the belt with a smaller, faster giddyup.

wallenba
04-05-2014, 12:34 PM
I have a 'B' model. After all I read about it, I was sure I made a good purchase. Now... not so sure. Even with a modest load of dry media it stalls on the rollers. When it is turning, I begin to smell a burning electrical odor and the motor is quite hot to the touch. I use it, bit don't leave it running alone.

Bayou52
04-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Bayou52,
When I first got my Model B I discovered that the pulleys were not lined up and adjusted them so they were. Could this be the problem with you tumbler?

Ken

Hi, Ken-

My belts were breaking so frequently at first (only 4 or 5 tumbles), that it was I who was reaching the breaking point. Here's what I adjusted on the tumbler (which is a Thumlers model B like yours):

1. Lined up the motor pulley and drive shaft pulley using a metal straight edge,

2. Made sure all 4 bushings were well lubed using a very light Penn fishing reel grease. The light grease stays in place real well,

3. The drum had a left-right sway when tumbling. To correct this, I took out the excess play between the bushings and frame by slightly tapping on the retaining clips on the end of each axle,

4. I noticed that the channel on the inside of the drive shaft pulley had some burs in it from when the plastic was molded. I used a fine rat-tailed file to remove the burs until smooth.

Now, despite all this, the relacement belts were still breaking all too frequently. I still can't see why, and they're expensive.

That's when I researched for an o-ring of the same size as the belt. So far, the very first o-ring has lasted 20 tumbles or and is still holding up.

I've been a Happy Tumbler since switching to o-rings.

That's just my experience so far....

ROGER4314
04-15-2014, 02:40 AM
I had three of the rotary tumblers and never had a belt fail. The lids kept coming off of my drums which dumped the contents on the table or floor. After that happened a few times, they were DOOMED! I went with the vibration tumblers. put them on my front porch and let 'em run all day.

Flash

Bayou52
04-15-2014, 05:32 AM
I had three of the rotary tumblers and never had a belt fail. The lids kept coming off of my drums which dumped the contents on the table or floor. After that happened a few times, they were DOOMED! I went with the vibration tumblers. put them on my front porch and let 'em run all day.

Flash

Flash -

Consider using the self- locking anti-vibration knobs from McFeely's for that Thumlers lid. Those babies get tight. No leaks and no loosening.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/JKA-2500/14-20-Female-Fluted-Anti-Vibration-Knob

Just a suggestion......

Moonman
04-15-2014, 11:42 AM
When filling the THUMBLER'S TUMBLER 15 # Model B,

Use 5 lbs S.S. media Pins, 2 lbs Brass, 1 gal water (to within 1" of top),
Dawn Dish-Washing Soap, 1/4 Teaspoon Lemi-Shine rinse agent.

You're good to go.

The ANTI-VIBRATION KNOBS are a specific size for clearance.

McFeeley's JKA-2500 that was suggested by Bayou52 IS THE CORRECT ONE.

Bayou52
04-16-2014, 08:14 AM
When filling the THUMBLER'S TUMBLER 15 # Model B,

Use 5 lbs S.S. media Pins, 2 lbs Brass, 1 gal water (to within 1" of top),
Dawn Dish-Washing Soap, 1/4 Teaspoon Lemi-Shine rinse agent.

That's exactly my Thumbler's model B recipe as well with the exception that I've substituted auto wash & wax for the Dawn soap. My tumble time per batch is 4 hours.

EDG
04-17-2014, 08:47 PM
I bought the large 12# capacity Model A-R12 tumbler in 1971. It had a black O ring type drive belt that I did not expect to last long so I bought 2 replacements. To date the original belt is still working and the spares are still around here somewhere.

Bayou52
04-18-2014, 05:14 AM
I bought the large 12# capacity Model A-R12 tumbler in 1971. It had a black O ring type drive belt that I did not expect to last long so I bought 2 replacements. To date the original belt is still working and the spares are still around here somewhere.

Yes, I'm still using my first o-ring as well. They seem to last.

Why the original replacement belts break so easily and so fast is still a mystery to me!

davep
04-18-2014, 09:43 AM
I just went through the same thing. From looking at other threads, I knew that o-rings and vacuum cleaner belts could be better than original, but couldn't find a belt number, and the listed o-ring supplier was out. Then I found a 15-pack of identical o-rings on Amazon for less than 10 bucks, figured I couldn't go wrong. I've only spun the first one a couple of loads, but it's working fine. For keeping all of the great info from this thread together, this is the link I used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053V0Y2U/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NUH-UH! DON'T DO IT. THIS IS AN OFFICIAL-TYPE RETRACTION!

These things last about as many runs as you can do in a few days. Do the non-neoprene ones like Bayou52 suggests.

Bayou52
04-18-2014, 10:21 AM
I just went through the same thing. From looking at other threads, I knew that o-rings and vacuum cleaner belts could be better than original, but couldn't find a belt number, and the listed o-ring supplier was out. Then I found a 15-pack of identical o-rings on Amazon for less than 10 bucks, figured I couldn't go wrong. I've only spun the first one a couple of loads, but it's working fine. For keeping all of the great info from this thread together, this is the link I used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053V0Y2U/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, davep, for that link.

This thread contains really useful information.

Here's the link to the ethylene-propylene o-rings I'm using. I was informed that ethylene-propylene resists stretching:

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_150_152&products_id=6511

davep
04-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Yep, that was the one I first looked at, and would have ordered if they weren't back ordered. I can't speak to the stretch factors of Neoprene, so I'm hopeful. But, at that price I figured I ought to be able to make 15 belts last a lot longer than the OEM ones for the money. At least without a lot of outlay I was able to get tumbling again quickly. We'll see how it works out. You're right, this is a great thread. I especially like the recipe info.

One thing I found on another thread that I've started doing, I'm substituting Armor-All car wash soap for the dawn. Can't argue with the results, the brass is clean and shiny. Apparently it leaves a very light protective coat on the casing to inhibit tarnishing. Firsthand experience is minimal yet, but there are a few who swear it doesn't negatively affect powders.

Crash_Corrigan
04-18-2014, 11:30 AM
I have been using my Thumbler's Tumbler for about 5 years with the ss pins dawn etc with excellent results. I usually run it for about an hour and then rinse out the worst black water you have ever seen and reload with clean water and replenish the dawn and lemishine etc and run for another 2 hours.

I enjoy having super clean and shiny brass to load with and I have yet to change the original belt on the device. I do admit to oiling the shafts and other bits that go round and round on a monthly basis to keep things quiet and well lubricated. I also keep the device on my bathroom shelf adjacent to the sink. I have a scrap piece of plywood which I used to make a vibration proof location for my tumbler. I have a piece of foam carpet padding on the formica shelf. Then my plywood scrap and then my tumbler. Without all that stuff it made a lot of noise and drove me nuts. Now it is quiet. I do not have a wife or significant other to inspect my handiwork. Between casting boolits in my bedroom and keeping an industrial strength set of metal shelves loaded with primers and powder and other assorted reloading materials, a kitchen where I pan lube and sort brass, a living room complete with more industrial shelves and a reloading bench with 5 presses and assorted buckets of brass all over the house I would drive such a person insane PDQ. Sgt. Rambo and Boy George have nothing to say about such activities so long as I keep on spoiling them and feeding them.

Just imagine living in a man cave 24/7. Rifles hung on the walls. A SKS fully loaded behind the front door. At least two handguns in each room including the bathroom, fishing rods hung on display hanging on the walls, a few guitars in cases, music stand, guitar stand and high stool for playing said guitars, steel shelving on two walls full of casting molds and another 20K worth of casting and reloading gear, closets without coats but plenty of gunpowder and buckets of sorted and unsorted cases everywhere all over the tiny tin trailer in which I reside with my two critters. I forgot to mention the two worm factories that I also have. One next to the front door across from the SKS and the other under the kitchen table. They are wonderful. These are pets that do not complain, make noise nor demand special food. They eat all my coffee grounds, tea bags, kitchen scraps except citrus, dairy and meat and they produce worm tea and castings which really empower my Roses which I keep outside on the other side of the trailer and they also make excellent fish bait. The worms as fish have no desire for roses. Then there is the motorcycle, kayak, 8' x 12' enclosed trailer and my beloved '90 Honda Accord in the carport.

Somehow I also have found room for a leather recliner, leather couch, highboy cabinet with my computer set up, plasma tv and a small desk which is usually covered with a selection of fishing reel parts or gun parts and a vise depending on what I am working on that day. I would certainly drive a woman bat **** crazy in about two minutes with my residence. I could care less as I seldom have female visitors.

9.3X62AL
04-18-2014, 11:47 AM
This thread's content has been a real curiosity to me, on a couple levels. I have always been very impressed with the durability and quality construction of my 2 Thumler Model B tumblers. Based on that experience, I have been generous in my praise of these traits, and I hope that my recommendations in concert with a downturn in Thumler quality control has not caused grief for consumers and fellow hobbyists.

Bayou52
04-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Sounds like a nice pad, Crash!

Enjoy..........

Bayou52
04-18-2014, 12:31 PM
This thread's content has been a real curiosity to me, on a couple levels. I have always been very impressed with the durability and quality construction of my 2 Thumler Model B tumblers. Based on that experience, I have been generous in my praise of these traits, and I hope that my recommendations in concert with a downturn in Thumler quality control has not caused grief for consumers and fellow hobbyists.

Hi, 9.3 -

My Thumler's Model B had a few bugs in it right out of the box. I was able to adjust out all of the following bugs on my own. These bugs included:

1. Need to adjust the bushing retainer clips a bit tighter since the drum was swaying side to side while tumbling,

2. Need to paint the inside of the drum after removing the drum lining,

3. Need to file out some burs in the channel of the drive shaft pulley. The burs were left over from the plastic molding.

The one thing I couldn't fix or adjust was the belts breaking. I couldn't fix this because, even to today, I still don't know why they broke so easily and quickly. In any event, the switch to o-rings seems to now have fixed this issue.

So, all in all, as of today, I'm a happy tumbler with my model B. The gremlins seem all to be gone, and the tumbler is working just fine. It is now about 2 years old, and I hope to get many years of good use out of it with proper maintenance (lubing of the bushings, oiling of the motor, etc., etc.)

Bayou52
04-18-2014, 12:39 PM
One thing I found on another thread that I've started doing, I'm substituting Armor-All car wash soap for the dawn. Can't argue with the results, the brass is clean and shiny. Apparently it leaves a very light protective coat on the casing to inhibit tarnishing. Firsthand experience is minimal yet, but there are a few who swear it doesn't negatively affect powders.

Hi, davep -

I've been substituting auto wash & wax for Dawn for quite some time. I've used various brands of wash & wax, and they all seem to work well. (Rain-X auto wash &wax seems to make the most suds, though.)

It is true that a small amount of residual wax is left on the brass, at least in my experience, that impedes/resists the return of tarnish to the brass. I've got some cases laid out for months with no appreciable change in their finish.

I hope your results are similar to mine.........

9.3X62AL
04-18-2014, 02:45 PM
I should also add that you guys in this thread use a lot more esoteric media ingredients than I do, some of which are heavier in weight. That might influence performance in some fashion. I've eschewed treated walnut hulls or corncob grit for several years, and use size 14/20 untreated corncob grit solo in the tumble. I wouldn't call the brass finish "polished" per se, but it is CLEAN and shiny--which was my object, to save dies from undue abrasion. That the treatment makes the brass attractive is "gravy" to me.

Bayou52
04-18-2014, 09:28 PM
I should also add that you guys in this thread use a lot more esoteric media ingredients than I do, some of which are heavier in weight. That might influence performance in some fashion. I've eschewed treated walnut hulls or corncob grit for several years, and use size 14/20 untreated corncob grit solo in the tumble. I wouldn't call the brass finish "polished" per se, but it is CLEAN and shiny--which was my object, to save dies from undue abrasion. That the treatment makes the brass attractive is "gravy" to me.

Sounds like your tumbling method is delivering the results you're after. And that's what it's all about....

Happy Tumbling....

davep
04-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Just an update, the first o-ring out of that bag of 15 only lasted about a load and a half. Maybe a bad one, but not a good sign. So, until I have better news to report, I wouldn't recommend it. The ones that Bayou52 talked about seem to be a lot better. Like I said, I'd have ordered them if they were in stock at the time. I won't be tumbling for a bit, family health issues. But, I'll try to post if I get better results with the next one.

Bayou52
04-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Just an update, the first o-ring out of that bag of 15 only lasted about a load and a half. Maybe a bad one, but not a good sign. So, until I have better news to report, I wouldn't recommend it. The ones that Bayou52 talked about seem to be a lot better. Like I said, I'd have ordered them if they were in stock at the time. I won't be tumbling for a bit, family health issues. But, I'll try to post if I get better results with the next one.

Thanks for that report, davep. Sorry to hear that the neoprene o-ring didn't last long. At least it didn't cost $5 - $6 apiece like the replacement belts. In any event, that's good info to have.

As stated in a prior post, I'm still on my first ethylene-propylene o-ring. After 20 or so tumbling sessions, the first o-ring is still working well.

I hope these ethylene-propylene compsition o-rings come back into stock soon. At 80 cents apiece, they seem to be worth it. Here is an alternate source for the ethylene-propylene o-rings:

http://www.amazon.com/O-Ring--343-E70-EPDM-Pack/dp/B000RAEVGM/ref=sr_1_4?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1398126972&sr=1-4

I'm sorry to hear about your family health issues, and I hope they work out soon. I know how it is - I'm a caregiver to my 94 year old Mom who lives with me. She requires 24/7 attendance. Working on my reloading bench is one of the few hobbies I can pursue, as I can do it here at home. But I can't get out to do some actual shooting....Not complaining at all, though - I'm very fortunate.

Best of luck.....

PS -

Have you:

1. Checked the alignment of the pulleys by using a straight edge, and

2. Checked for burs in the channel of the large drive shaft pulley?

Just some ideas.....

David2011
04-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Bayou52,

Thread drift warning! There are a few bayou people on the forum. I lived in South Louisiana for about 8 years. I recall with fondness casting boolits on the porch in Thibodaux. The same time every night the mosquitoes came out and the caster went in for about a half hour while the bloodsuckers foraged. After about a half hour I could go back out and continue casting without being bothered by the mosquitoes but there was no way to deal with them when they attacked, even with repellent. They would be in my eyes, nose and ears. There are a lot of really good competitive pistol shooters in that part of the world. Some are on the Outdoor Channel on Wednesday evenings pretty regularly.

Now I live in the desert and have to be somewhere besides home to find mosquitoes.

David

Bayou52
04-22-2014, 05:14 AM
Hi, David -

Nice story about life in Lafourche Parish! I'm in St Tammany Parish but spent a lot of time in Thibodaux.

I hope the desert is treating you well. I guess there's plenty of places to shoot out there.

Yep, the mosquitos can be rough at times. That's why I double up on the Tabasco!

All the best......

davep
04-23-2014, 06:13 PM
PS -

Have you:

1. Checked the alignment of the pulleys by using a straight edge, and

2. Checked for burs in the channel of the large drive shaft pulley?

Just some ideas.....

I haven't checked those things, and will do so, thanks for the tips. Also for the good wishes. I'm afraid this also will be a long haul, but hopefully we'll be able to get back to a little normal someday soon. Our circumstance is actually somewhat similar. If it helps you or anyone else, we've managed to find a "rent-a-nurse" option that isn't too bad. Pretty nice people, and for a few bucks, they'll can have someone qualified spell us for few hours once in a while. They've also been able to give us a few pointers that help us help her. No great options, but we take what we can get.

Bayou52
04-23-2014, 08:33 PM
I haven't checked those things, and will do so, thanks for the tips. Also for the good wishes. I'm afraid this also will be a long haul, but hopefully we'll be able to get back to a little normal someday soon. Our circumstance is actually somewhat similar. If it helps you or anyone else, we've managed to find a "rent-a-nurse" option that isn't too bad. Pretty nice people, and for a few bucks, they'll can have someone qualified spell us for few hours once in a while. They've also been able to give us a few pointers that help us help her. No great options, but we take what we can get.

Hi, davep -

For the past year and a half - since Mom sustained her fall and became debilitated - myself and 2 siblings have been taking 24/7 care of Mom in my home. We haven't hired any help yet but that's an idea esp if we begin to get "caregiver burnout".

So for me, it's work and home and that's about it. Again, not complaining though. I'm lucky, all in all.....

In addition to the 2 tips I mentioned above, please don't forget to put some light grease under each of the 4 axle bushings to reduce drag. I use a very light grease for fishing reels (Penn reel grease). This grease stays in place longer than just oil. It's very important that no oil or grease come into contact with your belt/o-ring as petroleum wil degrade it. I use a bit of alcohol on a napkin to clean the belt from time to time just to make sure.

Good luck....

davep
04-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Hi, davep -

For the past year and a half - since Mom sustained her fall and became debilitated - myself and 2 siblings have been taking 24/7 care of Mom in my home. We haven't hired any help yet but that's an idea esp if we begin to get "caregiver burnout".

So for me, it's work and home and that's about it. Again, not complaining though. I'm lucky, all in all.....

I keep reminding myself that others have so much more to deal with, easy to lose focus. My wife and I run a small company, and this came up pretty suddenly. There is good help available, and we're learning as we go, it just seems like a lot to learn. My mom's issues aren't as much physical, but that's coming pretty quickly I'm told. Anyway, I appreciate what you've said. I'd just bought my first pile of reloading equipment, and now it's just sitting in the corner laughing at me. Oh well, I haven't found any pistol powder to work with yet anyway...

Bayou52
04-24-2014, 11:23 AM
I keep reminding myself that others have so much more to deal with, easy to lose focus. My wife and I run a small company, and this came up pretty suddenly. There is good help available, and we're learning as we go, it just seems like a lot to learn. My mom's issues aren't as much physical, but that's coming pretty quickly I'm told. Anyway, I appreciate what you've said. I'd just bought my first pile of reloading equipment, and now it's just sitting in the corner laughing at me. Oh well, I haven't found any pistol powder to work with yet anyway...

Well, davep -

It looks like we have a lot in common. My Mom's issues are both physical and mental. In addition to her fall last year, she's almost 95 years old.

If there's any words of encouragement, you'll know that you and your family did the most that could be done. My objective is to keep Mom home rather than in any facility.

It may be quite timely that your new reloading stuff has arrived. If your situation is like mine, reloading at my bench in the garage is a pleasant hobby I can do at home and still be present to attend to Mom. Although I can't get out to shoot, I'm doing a lot of bench work, and I really find it enjoyable.

All the Best..............

davep
05-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Thought I'd update. The physical issues came quick, much more so than expected. She passed night before last. Now we're in the business part, the "have-to's". Enjoying spending time with family, and seeing old friends. We definitely saw the answers that come with lots of good people praying for you, and lots of blessings just because He knows what we need whether we ask or not. We'll get started trying to figure out what "normal" is next week, maybe I'll even break out the press. Or maybe I'll just sleep. Anyway, thanks again for the thoughts and prayers.

Bayou52
05-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Thought I'd update. The physical issues came quick, much more so than expected. She passed night before last. Now we're in the business part, the "have-to's". Enjoying spending time with family, and seeing old friends. We definitely saw the answers that come with lots of good people praying for you, and lots of blessings just because He knows what we need whether we ask or not. We'll get started trying to figure out what "normal" is next week, maybe I'll even break out the press. Or maybe I'll just sleep. Anyway, thanks again for the thoughts and prayers.

I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your loved one. It sounds as though things happened more quickly that perhaps expected. That can be rough on everyone.

As you say, a period of adjustment to the new world now begins. And you and yours will adjust. That's how life is, although your life will be lessened by the loss of your loved one. And that's exactly why she was your loved one - she impacted you all.

Gone but never forgotten. Our thoughts and prayers are for the eternal rest of the dearly departed and for the consolation of the grieving.............

Bayou52

prs
05-08-2014, 02:38 PM
I have a 'B' model. After all I read about it, I was sure I made a good purchase. Now... not so sure. Even with a modest load of dry media it stalls on the rollers. When it is turning, I begin to smell a burning electrical odor and the motor is quite hot to the touch. I use it, bit don't leave it running alone.

Perhaps you motor needs oiled. There is an oil divot on each side of the motor at the top. A drop of two of 20 grade motor oil does wonders. 3in1 sells a specific oil for such small motors, blue and white can.

My original belt is still going, used regularly since the late 1980's. I gave up on the SS pins, they seem to add nothing over the Lemishine and detergent water. I use just enough water to cover the brass, the air pocket give better agitation of the liquid IMHO.

prs

Bayou52
05-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Perhaps you motor needs oiled. There is an oil divot on each side of the motor at the top. A drop of two of 20 grade motor oil does wonders. 3in1 sells a specific oil for such small motors, blue and white can.

My original belt is still going, used regularly since the late 1980's. I gave up on the SS pins, they seem to add nothing over the Lemishine and detergent water. I use just enough water to cover the brass, the air pocket give better agitation of the liquid IMHO.

prs

Yes, I'd agree that a bit of oil on each motor bearing is definintely worth a try. But, if the motor overheats, it's supposed to be made to shut itself off until it cools down, and then switch itself back on again. But you can never be too cautious.

prs - what's your secret to long Thumbler's belt life? Your's has lasted decades. My would only last for a couple of tumbles before I switched to a more durable o-ring.

DLCTEX
05-09-2014, 04:14 PM
I bought an old Thumblers Tumbler six years ago at an estate sale for$5 as it was very dirty, tge cord was in bad shape, and the belt was missing. I replaced the cord, cleaned it, and swiped a vacuum cleaner belt from my wife. It is still giving good service and that belt is still going.

Bayou52
05-09-2014, 07:51 PM
I bought an old Thumblers Tumbler six years ago at an estate sale for$5 as it was very dirty, tge cord was in bad shape, and the belt was missing. I replaced the cord, cleaned it, and swiped a vacuum cleaner belt from my wife. It is still giving good service and that belt is still going.

Yes, I've heard other folks say they've had good luck with vacuum cleaner belts also. I've been having very good longevity and service out of the ethylene-propylene o-rings. So far, I've been tumbling for months on the very first o-ring. I would have gone through a dozen or more replacement belts at the rate they were breaking.

davep
05-15-2014, 12:42 PM
I keep hearing about the vacuum cleaner belts too. I think it sure would be helpful if when people find one that fits, if they'd say the make/model of the vacuum cleaner the belt goes to. I can't find a size reference anywhere, and if a belt blew in the middle of a job, it would be nice to be able to grab the right one locally rather than wait for an order to come in. (Of course I'm saying this with 14 O-Rings yet to use).

Bayou52
05-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Hi, davep -

I'd also like to learn of the make and model of the vacuum belts. Maybe that info will get posted.

I know you recently lost your dear Mom. Have you been able to get back to work at your company, and have you been able to get back into tumbling a bit?

All the Best...

davep
05-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Hey Bayou52. We sort of worked the whole time, but it was an hour here, an hour there. This has been the first "real" week for a long time. Funny how it seems relaxing now. We have a lot to do yet for her stuff, paperwork, cleaning out the house, etc. But, those things are just important, not so much urgent. I'm actually hoping to get back in to the whole tumbling/reloading thing pretty soon. Maybe I'll even polish a couple of loads of brass this weekend. Pretty soon I think I'll even get to join the chorus of those grumbling because there's no pistol powder to be found :).

In Mom's case, the process went much quicker that expected. In many ways, that's a blessing, you know how we all say "I wouldn't want to live like that...". From my side of it, I can only begin to imagine what it must be like to become a full-time, long-term caregiver. I've said a prayer or two for you as well, and have appreciated yours.

Thanks for asking.

Bayou52
05-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Thanks so much, davep. I appreciate your kind sentiments. They are greatly appreciated.

I hope you can get back to your routine quickly. It'll be good for you, and somehow, being in a similar situation, I have a hunch your Mom would want just that.

Have a good time tumbling, and let me know how you do this weekend.

All the Best...

Bayou

hiram
05-16-2014, 01:23 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-155197.html

Bayou52
05-19-2014, 08:36 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-155197.html

Thanks for that link, hiram.

I was curious as to how the vacuum cleaner belt option worked on my Thumlers. So, I picked up one of the Eureka belts at Wally World. I noticed it was fatter than the correct belt or correct sized o-ring. I also noticed it fit tighter than the correct belt or o-ring, although the vacuum cleaner belt did go on to the Thumler's pulleys.

However, when I flipped the switch to turn on the Thumbler's motor, it would not turn or start at all. The belt was simply too tight, and the motor was bound up. Not wanting to damage the motor, I immediately turned it off and put on the correct sized o-ring which worked perfectly.

So, it was back to Wally World for a refund on the vacuum cleaner belt.

I'm glad this option seems to work for a lot of folks, but in my experience, simply no luck with this route.

I've had the best success with the ethylene-propylene o-rings. The very first o-ring is still in use after many tumbles. I'm very satisfied with the o-ring alternative to the factory replacement belts as they last much longer at a fraction of the price.

Bayou52

davep
05-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Interesting, and good to know. As for myself, I did get back on the tumbling this weekend, ran about a half-dozen loads through. Had to pop a new ring on, but it did them all. No rhyme or reason that I can see, I'd even left the last one (about two loads on it) disconnected from the pulleys after the last use, before the mess started, and it was worthless this time. Anyway, I've only got maybe 12-15 more loads to run to get my old brass polished, then I can settle down to "maintenance mode". That big pack I bought should last a while (they've all done at least a couple of loads so far), and I'll order some of the others somewhere along the way. Funny thing, I'm still buying dies and misc, but haven't loaded one lousy round yet. I could, if I would get serious (or at least less picky) about finding some powder. Maybe with the season I'll just break open a bunch of firecrackers and dump them in the powder measure. KIDDING! Just kidding. I know roman candles make the flash much prettier!

Bayou52
05-19-2014, 02:06 PM
Hi, dave -

By chance, do you have any idea why your Thumblers' belt failed? I never could figure it out - no reason for the failures I was getting with the Thumlers' replacement belts breaking so frequently. By the process of elimination, I suppose I'm at the point of saying that the belts themselves just don't hold up.

I just don't see anything mechanically out of sorts or out of alignment anywhere on the tumbler. I'm still head scratching.

BTW - I have a friend who works at a commercial reloading company. I asked him where they were buying powder these days, and he said they were having a real rough time. So, I told him that explained the huge pile of broken firecrackers in the corner of the warehouse, and the fingers of all the employess with that distinctive silver coating on them! He got a kick out of that one.........

davep
05-19-2014, 02:58 PM
HA! I do have a can or two of black powder lying around, but I'd have to do some real guesswork, and can just hear everybody talking about how my first attempts at reloading were also my last!

In answer to your question, no, I have no consistent clues, except I THINK that each of the ones I've tried had been run for a few loads, then unused for a while (just days in some cases). I bought the thing used, so I have no idea of the age or origin of the belt I started with. After that one failed, I bought the o-rings I posted about. I think I'm on number four. Like I said, some lasted longer than others, but the last one was going strong, and when I knew I'd have to step away for a while, I took it off the motor pulley. Put it back on some four odd weeks later, and the motor just spun. None of them have been exactly what I'd call tight, but none have broken, the motor pulley just wouldn't grab, or stay grabbed. Now I did (I'm ashamed to admit) just finally oil the shaft bearings. It didn't seem bad to me before, but was clearly better after. I don't see how the difference should have made that big an impact, considering the overall weight of the loaded drum.

Mechanically, the unit seems okay, no alignment issues anyway. It's really a pretty simple mechanism from what I can see. If this o-ring runs the next time I get a load going, I may have to admit stupidity about the oil, but right now I'm sticking to the story that it's just bad belts.

Bayou52
05-20-2014, 07:35 AM
Hi, davep -

I'm not sure what the recommendations are for oiling the Thumlers' motor, but I put a drop of light 3 in 1 oil on each end of the shaft every 6-8 weeks or so. Seems to keep things humming quite nicely........

davep
06-28-2014, 02:02 PM
Okay. It's Saturday. The first real Saturday I've had in I don't know when. Fired up the tumbler, the same belt that was working great back several months ago. No good. Put another from the 15-pack on, and I'm tumbling away. SO: Neoprene seems to last for about as many loads as you can do in a few days. After that, forget it. So, once I use up most of these, I'm going to order a few from that outfit that Bayou52 suggested. If I can catch them in stock, I may do it sooner, so I'll be sure to be able to get them. I think my neoprene stock will probably get me through the remainder of my old brass, then I don't expect to tumble as often, but I want to rely on my tools when I need them. Anyway, that's the final diagnose from me on that experiment.

Bayou52
06-28-2014, 02:29 PM
Okay. It's Saturday. The first real Saturday I've had in I don't know when. Fired up the tumbler, the same belt that was working great back several months ago. No good. Put another from the 15-pack on, and I'm tumbling away. SO: Neoprene seems to last for about as many loads as you can do in a few days. After that, forget it. So, once I use up most of these, I'm going to order a few from that outfit that Bayou52 suggested. If I can catch them in stock, I may do it sooner, so I'll be sure to be able to get them. I think my neoprene stock will probably get me through the remainder of my old brass, then I don't expect to tumble as often, but I want to rely on my tools when I need them. Anyway, that's the final diagnose from me on that experiment.

Hi, davep -

Glad to hear from you. Just for information, I'm still tumbling with the very first ethylene-propylene o-ring. I must have several dozen 4-hour tumbling sessions on that o-ring. I just finished another a few minutes ago. Today's tumble was 44 mag for a buddy. So, should that first o-ring fail anytime, I think I got my 80 cents use out of it.

Also, I've gotten all the bugs out of the Thumler's model B, so it runs real smooth now - no wobbles, sways, shakes or unusual vibrations. That probably helps, too.

How smooth does your tumbler tend to run?

Thanks for the report, davep....

davep
06-28-2014, 02:47 PM
I have to prop up a corner, mainly because my floor is uneven, and it tends to walk otherwise. With that done, I guess I'd call it pretty smooth, similar to what you describe. For an old one especially, I have no complaints.

Hopefully your ring experiment goes better than mine did, I'll be interested in the long-term results. Short-term sounds good though.

For now, I've got the tumbler running, and I'm going to my oldest granddaughter's birthday party. Stop by (in Kansas) if you want some cake!

Happy tumbling, Bayou52!

Bayou52
06-28-2014, 03:15 PM
I have to prop up a corner, mainly because my floor is uneven, and it tends to walk otherwise. With that done, I guess I'd call it pretty smooth, similar to what you describe. For an old one especially, I have no complaints.

Hopefully your ring experiment goes better than mine did, I'll be interested in the long-term results. Short-term sounds good though.

For now, I've got the tumbler running, and I'm going to my oldest granddaughter's birthday party. Stop by (in Kansas) if you want some cake!

Happy tumbling, Bayou52!

Thanks for the offer of cake, davep! Think I'll have some. So, I better get crackin' and start driving from Slidell, LA. Got a hunch the party will be over by arrival time, though!

Will keep you posted on that o-ring life.....

Happy Tumbling to you, too..!

9.3X62AL
06-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Bayou, I've looked on as this thread continued. I remain bumfoozled as to why your unit's belt life is so problematic with the OEM part, but I'm glad you found a way around the problem. These units are designed with running for 1-2 weeks non-stop while tumbling rocks/minerals in mind, and as I've posted earlier my two machines are about the most trouble-free tools in my reloading hobby world. The only differences I see in our respective situations might be climatic--I live in a very low-humidity high-desert environment, I doubt that east-central CA gets much hotter or colder than Slidell.

salpal48
06-28-2014, 09:10 PM
I have had the same belt on mine for years running at least once a week. . I also have a Lortone for years. . I stopped using Pins and went back to walnut . i felt with the pins . even though not 5 lb's, The machine labored too much . Other than that . I have never had any problems.
good luck

Bayou52
06-28-2014, 09:12 PM
Hi, 9.3x62AL -

You're absolutely spot on about those Thumler's - they're designed to run for weeks on end. So, I was taken aback why my belts were breaking. To this day, I don't know what was the cause, and I've addressed about everything. Like you say, could be the humidity factor. I was given clues, though, about when a factory belt was about to fail - these belts are nearly transparent and little fractures would show up. When those showed up, the belt was only hours away from failure. And I went through quite a few of them.

Oh well, at least the ethylene-propylene o-rings are about 7 times cheaper and seem to last much longer, for me at least.

Happy Tumbling -

Bayou52

Bayou52
06-28-2014, 10:18 PM
just my two bits.
Typically:
Out of Alignment
Burrs
Too Tight
Too Loose
Wrong Width- (adjustable Sheave?)
Wrong belt angle/slope

Thanks, Nise -

In my case, I set the alignment with a metal edge, so it's spot on. I removed the burs in the drive pulley channel, so that's smooth. These are factory belts, so they're the ones made for the unit. Bushings were well lubed on each axle. There's no adjustment for belt tightness - it just slips on.

So, to this day, I'm stumped as to why these factory belts insisted on breaking after only a few tumbling sessions.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.....

Bayou52

9.3X62AL
06-29-2014, 12:22 AM
Hi, 9.3x62AL -

You're absolutely spot on about those Thumler's - they're designed to run for weeks on end. So, I was taken aback why my belts were breaking. To this day, I don't know what was the cause, and I've addressed about everything. Like you say, could be the humidity factor. I was given clues, though, about when a factory belt was about to fail - these belts are nearly transparent and little fractures would show up. When those showed up, the belt was only hours away from failure. And I went through quite a few of them.

Oh well, at least the ethylene-propylene o-rings are about 7 times cheaper and seem to last much longer, for me at least.

Happy Tumbling -

Bayou52

Just weird. Maybe Thumler's got a bad lot of drive belts that you got a large helping of. I imagine the company uses a vendor/sub-contractor to make/provide the belts to their specs, and you got the short end of the stick.

Bayou52
06-29-2014, 08:07 AM
Just weird. Maybe Thumler's got a bad lot of drive belts that you got a large helping of. I imagine the company uses a vendor/sub-contractor to make/provide the belts to their specs, and you got the short end of the stick.

I was thinking the same thing, 9.3x62AL - bad belts to begin with.

Just curious - your belts seem to be working fine. Are they transparent when you look at them, or do they have a solid color? The newer ones I was using were transparent.

Thanks....

9.3X62AL
07-01-2014, 01:48 PM
My OEM belts have always been transparent, and have a definite joint showing.

ak_milsurp
07-01-2014, 01:50 PM
What about a belt replacment idea for the smaller thumblers tumbler AR-2? I mostly use vibratory tumblers, but reserve my ancient AR 2 for small batches

fastfire
07-01-2014, 02:46 PM
As Montana said, tension maybe to tight?

I use 5lbs ss media fill Full of brass, fill to the top with hot water, Lemi shine and Joy soap.
Once in a while I'll have to reduce the weight but as long as it turns it's a go.
Run for 30-40 min each batch. The more SS you use the less time it takes.
Replaced the belt once in 6 years of use.

mold maker
07-01-2014, 03:49 PM
My original Thumblers is from the 80s and I just re-placed the belt and drive axle this Winter. it only saw about a year of rest, and upon reuse the belt broke immediately. I tried a vacuum belt and it seemed too tight, causing the large pulley to release from the shaft.
The new axle and OE belt have around 225 hr on them now with no problem.
No idea why the original belt lasted so long other than regular use. When it finally broke it fell into many pieces.

Bayou52
07-01-2014, 07:46 PM
I'm amazed to hear that y'all are getting such good belt life out of your Thumler's belts. Definitely better than my experience, for sure.

One theme I'm hearing as a posdible cause of poor Thumler's belt life is that the belt might be too tight. Yet the Thumler's model B has no adjustment for belt tension. The motor simply is bolted in place, and the drive axle bushings simply snap into their slots. Nothing to adjust.

So, without a way to adjust tension, how can you check if the belt might be too tight?

Thanks for the ideas, fellas...

Bayou52

340six
09-23-2014, 06:42 PM
I'm amazed to hear that y'all are getting such good belt life out of your Thumler's belts. Definitely better than my experience, for sure.

One theme I'm hearing as a posdible cause of poor Thumler's belt life is that the belt might be too tight. Yet the Thumler's model B has no adjustment for belt tension. The motor simply is bolted in place, and the drive axle bushings simply snap into their slots. Nothing to adjust.

So, without a way to adjust tension, how can you check if the belt might be too tight?

Thanks for the ideas, fellas...

Bayou52
For a rubber O ring I have always gone to
Tiger Seal & Gasket Manufacturing Co., Inc. {LSU GUY}2522 Connecticut Ave Kenner, Louisiana 70062

(888) 875-5125 It is close to me and just do it as a walk in. They can also make anything ya want while ya wait. Or at least did for me.

I just got a Model B sent to me from Cabela's and the pulley on the shaft spins and goes back and forth. Like the pulley is pressed on crooked / bent
So as the motor turns it it wobbles back and forth. This is not just the shaft going back and forth as it should be inside the while bushings.
So I called them and they sent another and the same thing. It turns and rotates the pulley moves back and forth. Not just the shaft but the pulley itself wobbles. Like the pulley was bent when pressed on the shaft. {ie} not a bent shaft. Is your pulley like this?
Or This happen to anyone else?

Bayou52
09-23-2014, 07:47 PM
For a rubber O ring I have always gone to
Tiger Seal & Gasket Manufacturing Co., Inc. {LSU GUY}

2522 Connecticut Ave Kenner, Louisiana 70062

(888) 875-5125 It is close to me and just do it as a walk in. They can also make anything ya want while ya wait. Or at least did for me.

I just got a Model B sent to me from Cabela's and the pulley on the shaft spins and goes back and forth. Like the pulley is pressed on crooked / bent
So as the motor turns it it wobbles back and forth. This is not just the shaft going back and forth as it should be inside the while bushings.
So I called them and they sent another and the same thing. It turns and rotates the pulley moves back and forth. Not just the shaft but the pulley itself wobbles. Like the pulley was bent when pressed on the shaft. {ie} not a bent shaft. Is your pulley like this?
Or This happen to anyone else?

Hi, 340six -

Thanks for the info on Tiger Seal. Even though I'm in Slidell, I was unaware of them. Always happy to support local businesses.

I'm still on my first o-ring - it's lasted over a year now - much longer than those factory belts.

About your issue with the drive shaft pulley being off center and wobbling, I know the exact issue, as I had the same thing. Like you, I called the office and got a replacement. The replacement shaft and pulley were true - no wobbles. So, that solved the problem for me. In your case, I would call again and discuss the issue. I would also offer to send back both drive shafts once you get a true one and if they send you a postage paid box. They may not want the old ones back, but at least you've taken the high ground with the offer. I do recall them being very cooperative with no questions asked.

Also, once you get a true drive shaft, you might want to check the channel on the drive shaft pulley - mine had little burs in it left over from the casting mold. A couple of passes with a rat-tailed file smoothed the channel nicely. The burs could damage the belt/o-ring.

So, after getting some initial bugs worked out, my Thumlers model B spins smoothly with no sway, wobbles or hitches. I really enjoy using it and wet tumbling brass.

Let me know how you make out.

Bayou52

EDG
09-24-2014, 12:04 PM
I have the AR-12 Thumbler's Tumbler - the one with the 12 lb rubber drum
I bought it in 1970 and promptly ran all my brass through it including 1000 nasty SL-54 machine gun fired 30-06 cases.
I bought 2 extra belts for it. They are still stored in the tool chest and I am still running the original belt.

mold maker
09-24-2014, 12:48 PM
My first TT was well used before I acquired it. The drive shaft and brgs were sloppy and still had the original belt as far as I could tell. After another several years, the pulley loosened on the shaft, and all attempts to repair failed. A new set of shafts and spare brgs put it back in service and I expect it to serve me for a long time. The original pulley was metal, and the new ones are molded plastic.

Catch
09-25-2014, 09:10 PM
When I first purchased my tumbler, I noticed that the motor had a slight vibration up and down on the non belt end. As it progressed in the cycle it seemed to get worse now and then and I turned it off and made an L shaped piece of aluminum which I attached to the floor of the unit and to the bottom nut on the bolt that holds the motor together. This gave the motor a brace on each end and seemed to cure the small vibration. I have never had a problem with the belt that came with the unit, but you might try the added brace on the opposite end of the motor and see if your belt last longer then. Hope this helps...........Catch

powderburnerr
09-25-2014, 09:22 PM
I do not put a gallon of water in mine ,the water level is just below or barely above the level of the media , and I do about 100 long 45 cases with 50 or so smaller cases thrown in ,havent broken a belt in 10 years of solid use , ,once in a while I give it a shot of spray oil on the shafts when they squeek. 2.5 to 3 hir=urs and lots of clean cases come out of some really black water.

Nueces
09-25-2014, 10:00 PM
I've got more than 5 years on my first belt on the Thumler Model B. I dealt with the motor vibes by putting a piece of foam pipe insulation under the free end of the motor casing. I also adjusted the position of the motor pulley so that it was parallel to the driven pulley at the center of it's side to side wandering. An occasional drop of CLP for the plastic shaft bearings.

Now and then, I run an over weight barrel. I monitored motor running temperature with my hand and was surprised to find no significant heat buildup. Bloomin' thing is like the Energizer bunny.

The newer lid gaskets appear to be some sort of vinyl rather than the rubber I got originally. The vinyl seals better and doesn't curl up around the edge.

Bayou52
09-26-2014, 05:41 AM
When I first purchased my tumbler, I noticed that the motor had a slight vibration up and down on the non belt end. As it progressed in the cycle it seemed to get worse now and then and I turned it off and made an L shaped piece of aluminum which I attached to the floor of the unit and to the bottom nut on the bolt that holds the motor together. This gave the motor a brace on each end and seemed to cure the small vibration. I have never had a problem with the belt that came with the unit, but you might try the added brace on the opposite end of the motor and see if your belt last longer then. Hope this helps...........Catch

Hi, Catch -

Nice idea. Do you have a pic of your brace?

I've not had any motor vibration issues with my Thumlers, but I've heard others having a problem. My motor seems to run smoothly and cooly.

Bayou52

Buck Neck It
09-28-2014, 01:18 AM
The motor on mine runs hot. This is a unit that was gifted to me after sitting around unused for many years. Oiling the bearings hasn't cured the problem. Anyone have a cure/or similar problem?

carbine
09-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Mine runs hot as well. Nature of the beast? Regarding the OP original question, my Model B went 10 years, 4 hrs a week before I replaced the belt. Got stretched

Bayou52
09-28-2014, 08:00 AM
The motor on mine runs hot. This is a unit that was gifted to me after sitting around unused for many years. Oiling the bearings hasn't cured the problem. Anyone have a cure/or similar problem?

I read where these Thumler's motors were overload protected so they are supposed to shut off when overloaded or over heated. Has your moter gotten so hot as to actually shut off?

Bayou52

Buck Neck It
09-28-2014, 01:25 PM
I haven't used it very much yet. I am one of those sluts who doesn't mind shooting tarnished brass, but I could reform my ways! I ran it once with a heavy load for 4 hours and it didn't kick out or burn up. It runs hot even with the belt off.

The belt definitely looks like an off-the-shelf o ring.

Bayou52
09-28-2014, 02:38 PM
I haven't used it very much yet. I am one of those sluts who doesn't mind shooting tarnished brass, but I could reform my ways! I ran it once with a heavy load for 4 hours and it didn't kick out or burn up. It runs hot even with the belt off.

The belt definitely looks like an off-the-shelf o ring.

I typically run my Thumlers in 4 hour sessions. I've run it as much as 8 hours in one session. I run it with a full 15 pound load each time. This motor feels warm, but never hot. It has never shut itself off.

Other than the factory belts not lasting worth a flip, the Thumlers has worked well for me. O-rings have cured that situation. My tumbler is now 2 years old.....

Bayou52

mold maker
09-28-2014, 03:50 PM
My first TT was also a gift and had seen much hard use tumbling rocks. The motor runs, way to hot to hold, but like a Timex it just keeps on and on. My newer (STM) unit has ball brg shafts and the higher speed motor runs just warm.
I replaced the TT belt once about 2 yr ago, and had to replace the shafts at the same time. It had served well for over 20 yr.

Bayou52
09-29-2014, 10:44 AM
My first TT was also a gift and had seen much hard use tumbling rocks. The motor runs, way to hot to hold, but like a Timex it just keeps on and on. My newer (STM) unit has ball brg shafts and the higher speed motor runs just warm.
I replaced the TT belt once about 2 yr ago, and had to replace the shafts at the same time. It had served well for over 20 yr.

That's interesting - the older model runs hot while the newer high-speed model runs warm. Sounds as though there have been some design changes along the way, but I'm not sure what they may've been....

Bayou52