PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Issue with WFPGC Hunting Bullets

Viper225
11-17-2013, 09:22 PM
I have just started casting Heavy Hunting Bullets for the 480 Ruger and 44 Magnum in the last 3 years.

When I started working with the big bullets, 310 Lee in 44, and a 375 grain Mountain Mould in 480 Ruger I started noticing the bullets look to not be going through the sizer straight. Sized more on one side than the other. Not totally sure if this is an alignment issue with my 40 year old RCBS LAM, or if the Top Punch not fitting the Huge Flat Point Bullets is causing the problem. I had not noticed this problem before with conventional semi wadcutters, and round nose bullets.

I have been doing quite a bit of reading on this with only partial joy. Easy fix spend about $450, and get a Star Lube-Sizer, and a couple sets of dies.

Looking for a cheaper fix at the moment. Wondering about a Buckshot push through sizer, and opening up the RCBS Die a little (Lube ONLY). PLUS having a Big Flat Nose Top Punch made for the sizer die.

Will the Big Bore Flat Nose Top Punch solve the alignment issue, along with the bullets being pre sized in the Push Through Die?

It looks to me like the bullets would align easier in the RCBS Sizing Die after opening it up, and pre sizing in the Push Through Die.

Will this work???

Bob

RickinTN
11-17-2013, 09:37 PM
I have a fairly new RCBS machine. I load mostly flat point bullets and use flat top punches. I spent quite a bit of time a few months ago trying to get bullets to go into the sizer "square". I had no success. I have gone to push through sizing only (with Lee dies, some honed out) and only lube in my RCBS machine with a .001 to .003" oversize die. I'm sorry I can't answer your questions about opening up the factory dies but my guess is it would be easiest, and probably cheapest to just buy an oversize die from RCBS. I would love to have a Star, and it is probably the easiest fix but I'm happy with my current system.
Good Luck,
Rick

leadman
11-18-2013, 02:17 AM
If you read the instructions on-line at RCBS they may be of some help. There is an alignment process using the top punch to align the sizing die in the machine. The die will move several thousandths under the nut. I suppose you can have a fitted top punch made with the outside diameter the size you are sizing the boolit to.
I had always wondered if there was a difference using a Lyman top punch in place of the RCBS in the RCBS machine and checked a couple of the top punches and can now say "maybe". Some seem to be the correct outside diameter for aligning the die, some not.
Somthing to look at though.
It might be messy but have you tried sizing the boolit nose first?

Wayne Smith
11-18-2013, 06:00 PM
I use a flat punch made out of a brass 1/4" bolt ground to fit on my drill press. I use this for most of my Boolits.

Viper225
11-18-2013, 08:02 PM
It is starting to look like I am on the correct track. The Nose Punch may very well be causing the alignment issues.
A large Flat Top Punch should correct the alignment problem.

Having the bullet pre sized in a Push Through sizer die should also help with alignment in the LAM sizer die.

Bob