PDA

View Full Version : help with sizing die

cs86
11-17-2013, 08:57 PM
I've recently bought a LAM2 with some extra dies that I may never use and intend on possibly selling. Is the reason they have so many holes is for a rifle caliber that has more lube grooves? I was also wondering why the die on the left has a hole down the center of the pin?

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Left is a .402 and right is a .401.

leadman
11-18-2013, 02:23 AM
I really don't know why some dies have so many holes and others, even the same size don't but it might be the length of the boolit they are designed to size.
The hole in the middle of the ejector punch IIRC is to keep any boolit lube from building up under the boolit base. I think this is a modification rather than a factory item.

cs86
11-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Could the 402 be custom made? The stamp looks a little different than the other and I can't seem to find them online anywhere through Lyman to see what they price at. I'm pretty new to lubesizers so please excuse my ignorance. Initially I thought .40x dies are intended for .40 cal or 10mm pistols, but I did find a few rifles in the book that could use these dies, which answered my question about the number of holes.

MtGun44
11-20-2013, 01:43 AM
Number of holes is irrelevant for Lyman/RCBS dies. Only Star sizer dies have to have the
correct number of holes. Lyman/RCBS dies have the boolit moving as it is lubed, so holes are
unimportant - number or size. For Star the boolit is stationary when lubed so there MUST
be a hole row for each lube groove and NONE at places where the lube will leak, like the nose
or below the base. This is what makes setting up a Star a bit of a PITA, plugging or opening
the holes and aligning the boolit exactly with them. None of this happens with the Lyman/RCBS
system, faster to set up but slower to run each boolit once set up.

Bill