PDA

View Full Version : to cast or stage?

okietwolf
11-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Minimum experience in either, what is the best, most cost effective answer? Would like minimal investment for greatest output.

okietwolf
11-17-2013, 06:46 PM
BTW.... had the 45/120 out the other evening, first two out of three were one ragged hole at a hunnert yards. Seem I am moving the right way. Ran out of good light before I could get 10 benched rounds off.

bigted
11-17-2013, 10:23 PM
AWSOME on the shooting !!! I don't understand the question tho ... stage?

dbosman
11-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Swage, I'm assuming.

johnson1942
11-18-2013, 12:25 AM
if your talking about swageing in stead of stageing?, i do alot of that. swageing makes about a perfect a bullet as i can make. however the very best group i ever shot was a nose poured cast bullet. i just enjoy swageing as the results are so consistant. ive never cut grooves into my swaged bullets and only paper patch them. if i had a easy consistant way to cut grooves into them i would. anybody have any suggestions?

fouronesix
11-18-2013, 12:49 AM
For blackpowder paper patched bullets I swage. For regular grease groove bullet shooting, either smokeless or blackpowder, I cast. Generally swaging is a little more involved and somewhat restricts the type of bullet design. Generally swaging requires a heftier press, specialized forming dies and either lead wire or cast slugs so there is usually more cost than for casting.

okietwolf
11-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Yes I do mean swaging. DAMN AUTOMISTAKE ....lol. I have been kicking this around for a while, and think for the initial cost investment I will start pouring Began designing an adjustable mold with a slightly rebated nose,base pour. All I need is to find a local machinist to turn it as my drill press has proven to inaccurate

okietwolf
11-18-2013, 07:15 PM
HHeck, just found Lee production pots for 54.00 each at local store.

Zymurgy50
11-18-2013, 09:32 PM
If you are looking to paper patch a lead slug, and already have a melting pot, you would need a sturdy press and a 2 or 3 die set. If all you wanted was a swc (or rn with a swc type shoulder) you could get away with a core swage die of the finished diameter and either a flat base punch or hollow base punch. If what you are looking for is a bullet without a step between nose and shank then you would need the core swage die and a point form die.

bigted
11-18-2013, 11:24 PM
overall casting your boolits is going to be the most inexpensive dollar wise deal to start. it will allow experimenting and borrowing stuff from like minded folks and lending as well. go get involved in a local shooting club of some kind and let the fun begin.

Bad Ass Wallace
11-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Would like minimal investment for greatest output.
Find buddy who casts boolits for your rifle, take lots of beer! :lol:

Kenny Wasserburger
11-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Buy a good quality mould, todays moulds are far superior then the old days, a pot and you learn to cast a good bullet, much less then buying a swage press and the dies, plus finding a source of wire or casting cores first then swaging.

I shoot Paper Patch in Long Range competition and do well with Cast bullets, never been beat by a swaged PP bullet yet.

The Lunger
KW