PDA

View Full Version : Data for Lee slug moulds

mac60
11-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Published data that won't work. The data that came with a 1 oz. Lee slug mould lists Win AA hull, Win 209 primer, 36 gr. Herco, 1 oz. Lee slug with WAA 12 wad. There is no way they could have tested this data because it just won't fit. Using the above components with 1 .125" 20 ga. card under the slug using 60 lbs. wad pressure the most Herco I could use consistent with a good crimp was 16.0 gr. I'm tempted to load a few with that charge (16.0 gr.). The hulls I have are AA HS. Is there that much of a difference between AA (cf) and AA HS hulls? What could I expect with the 16.0 gr. charge? Opinions?

mac60
11-17-2013, 10:44 PM
No opinions? After looking at another thread with someone saying they were using 33.0 gr. herco with all other components the same as I was using. I charged a hull with 33.0 gr. herco and seated a waa12 wad with a 20 ga. card under a 1 oz slug with 60 lbs. wad pressure. This is what it looked
like.

The top of the wad is in the part of the hull that will be crimped.

The hull on the left is the one with 33.0 gr. and the one on the right is charged with 16.0 gr. I guess my question is this; Is the fact that the top of the wad is in the section of the hull that will be crimped detrimental. Evidently not - but I don't understand.

jmort
11-17-2013, 10:48 PM
I would recommend reading Ajay's thread backwards from the end to the beginning. You can trim your wad.

BTW - It is the Blazing Sabots thread
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?150140-VdoMemorie-Blazing-Sabot!

Heavy lead
11-17-2013, 10:52 PM
I believe the internal capacity of the AA and the AA HS are the same, data is said to be the same.
I don't think 16 grains of Herco is going to do well, it's way too slow. I've never used Herco at all, so don't know how dense it is.
Based on the pics up top it looks like way more than 33 grains if I'm seeing the top of the slug and wad correctly.

mac60
11-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Ok - I'll read his post. I won't have any time to shoot until next weekend. For those interested I'll post pictures of any targets I shoot.

mac60
11-17-2013, 11:01 PM
I believe the internal capacity of the AA and the AA HS are the same, data is said to be the same.
I don't think 16 grains of Herco is going to do well, it's way too slow. I've never used Herco at all, so don't know how dense it is.
Based on the pics up top it looks like way more than 33 grains if I'm seeing the top of the slug and wad correctly.

That's 33.0 gr. herco with 60 lbs seating pressure. I've got some hs-6 - maybe I'll give that a try.

Heavy lead
11-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Out of curiousity what bushing in that MEC are you using?

mac60
11-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Out of curiousity what bushing in that MEC are you using?

All I was using the MEC for was to size/prime the hull and do the crimping. The hull was charged off the press.

PrecisionAmmunition
11-17-2013, 11:27 PM
I made a few of these you need to trim the pedals on your wad 1/4" so the slug poked out the top and it gives you more room to fold crimp.

mac60
11-17-2013, 11:37 PM
I made a few of these you need to trim the pedals on your wad 1/4" so the slug poked out the top and it gives you more room to fold crimp.

I read Ajay's post as advised. OK - every day is a school day! I'll have time to experiment with it during the week and maybe test 'em out next Saturday. I have 2 weeks vacation starting Friday and I was hoping to have a slug load to take deer hunting.

SuperBlazingSabots
11-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Good morning, just got back last night from my trip from beautiful West Virginia,
look here:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/LeeSlugDataBlueDot-Hercocopy.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/Dantebeowulf/media/LeeSlugDataBlueDot-Hercocopy.jpg.html)
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/LeeDriveKeyDataAcopy.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/Dantebeowulf/media/LeeDriveKeyDataAcopy.jpg.html)

Even the big companies do make mistakes and rely heavily on software driven loads that do not fit in the hull, unlike my way of practically doing it and making notes which is very time consuming ,slow and cost money!

They don't care, its not their cheeks glued next to the stock when the gun goes off, you see stars in the day time!!!

Watch it brother, the moment you start loading slugs you become part of my Elite Musketeer Brotherhood family, we stick together and look after one another!!

Its easy, its a fun project and above it all its your creativity!!!
Cook your own.

" A happy man is one who loads his own slugs and burn's powder at the range" - Super Blazing Sabots!

"An inventor fails 999 times, and if he succeeds once, he's in.
He treats his failures simply as practice shots. ~ Charles F. Kettering

Best regards,
Ajay Madan
Super Blazing Sabots
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl[/url]
http://slugshooting.accountsupport.com/[/url] ... wforum.php
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr[/url] ... ot!/page1
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=118&t=196961[/url]
http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/fo...p?f=43&t=39246[/url]
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/slug-gu...old-is-gold-!/[/url]
-Elite Group of Slug Shooter's
We all, who take slug loading seriously are a dedicated family, who have taken it upon ourselves to perfect our tech. We experiment to find better techniques and share our knowledge.
Location: New Jersey. USA / Frankfort, W.Germany / London, UK
We all, who take slug loading seriously are a dedicated family, who have taken it upon ourselves to perfect our tech. We experiment to find better techniques and share our knowledge.

mac60
11-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks Ajay - I've got a lot to learn.

SuperBlazingSabots
11-18-2013, 06:24 PM
We learn together by sharing our experiences, for every day is a new day.

Watch it brother, the moment you start loading slugs you become part of my Elite Musketeer Brotherhood family, we stick together and look after one another!!

Its easy, its a fun project and above it all its your creativity!!!
Cook your own.

" A happy man is one who loads his own slugs and burn's powder at the range" - Super Blazing Sabots!

"An inventor fails 999 times, and if he succeeds once, he's in.
He treats his failures simply as practice shots. ~ Charles F. Kettering

Best regards,
Ajay Madan
Super Blazing Sabots
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl[/url]
http://slugshooting.accountsupport.com/[/url] ... wforum.php
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr[/url] ... ot!/page1
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=118&t=196961[/url]
http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/fo...p?f=43&t=39246[/url]
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/slug-gu...old-is-gold-!/[/url]
Location: New Jersey. USA / Frankfort, W.Germany / London, UK

crashguy
11-19-2013, 12:36 AM
A word of encouragement ... there is plenty of help here ... don't despair. I had the same idea.. just follow the recipe ... what could go wrong? Not as easy as it sounds I'll tell you that. I use HS-6 ... if you aren't using a semi you better have a good padding... that HS-6 gets the job done. I agree a bit of judicious petal trimming with the recommended powder charge should get the crimp looking good. If you are gonna use these in a smooth bore ..curb your expectations of accuracy. If you are using them in a rifled barrel you may not need the card under the slug ... the wad and slug are meant to engage during their trip so the wad grabs the rifling and also holds the slug in order to impart the spin. ( If that is incorrect someone please correct me.)

evan price
11-19-2013, 08:09 AM
Here's mine- and it's not on any recipe that I've found.

WIN-AA-HS hull
WAA12SL wad (pink) NOT Claybusters, use the gen-u-wine Winchester part
20.0 grains Alliant PROMO (or Red Dot by weight)
WIN 209 primer
Lee 1-oz slug no extra wads or felts or cardboard or wood chips or other c.r.a.p.
Crimp it on the MEC and shoot it.

I switched to just the WIN-AA-HS hulls for slugs only, I am saving my Remingtons for shot loads.
Otherwise I was just tossing the WIN-AA-HS hulls in a bucket gathering dust.

I was using the Remington gun club/nitro/sts hulls, Lee 1-oz slug, WAA12Lwad (grey, GEN-U-WINE Winchester part), 20.0 PROMO, Win 209 primer and it crimps up nice too, the Remington hull is a bit longer than the WIN-AA-HS to my experience, and the grey wad is a 7/8 oz wad and has longer cushion 'legs' but same overall wad height.

When I use the 12L (grey) in the WIN-AA-HS I was getting blown out crimps and gaps. Too tall. The AA12SL fixed that problem.

mac60
11-19-2013, 11:19 PM

WIN-AA-HS hull
WIN 209 primer
Lee 1-oz slug no extra wads or felts or cardboard or wood chips or other c.r.a.p.

I switched to just the WIN-AA-HS hulls for slugs only, I am saving my Remingtons for shot loads.

I was using the Remington gun club/nitro/sts hulls, Lee 1-oz slug, WAA12Lwad (grey, GEN-U-WINE Winchester part), 20.0 PROMO, Win 209 primer and it crimps up nice too, the Remington hull is a bit longer than the WIN-AA-HS to my experience, and the grey wad is a 7/8 oz wad and has longer cushion 'legs' but same overall wad height.

When I use the 12L (grey) in the WIN-AA-HS I was getting blown out crimps and gaps. Too tall. The AA12SL fixed that problem.

I have all the components to try that. Are you shooting them through a smoothbore?

evan price
11-20-2013, 04:38 AM
I have all the components to try that. Are you shooting them through a smoothbore?

Yes, cylinder bore guns.

mac60
11-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Yes, cylinder bore guns.

Ok - I have to work with what I've got. All I have right now is a Mossberg 500 with an 18" cyl. bore bbl. and a Rem. 870 express with a Rem choke bbl. I'll have to give it a try.

weweber3
12-16-2013, 09:33 AM
I have a bunch of Gun Club hulls, lots of promo and Win209 primers... did you have success with this load? I wasn't clear why you moved away from the Gun Club hulls.

WIN-AA-HS hull
WIN 209 primer

evan price
03-05-2014, 07:43 AM
I wasn't unhappy with the Gun Club hulls. I just wanted to be able to know that all of my shot loads were in Gun Clubs and all my slugs were in Winchesters...let's just say that accidentally mixing a slug load in with your 1-oz trap loads is not appreciated at the clay pigeon range.

Luckily no damage, no harm, no foul...but I didn't drop the birdie.

Like I said, I have a bunch of WIN-AA12-HS hulls that were just sitting around, I figured I might as well use them.

35remington
03-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Get rid of the card wad. This is the reason the load does not fit....you are adding something that takes up space.

TheCzechBoss
03-08-2014, 02:59 AM
i have a question on this i am a newbie to cast .. kinda new to reloading been reloading for a couple of years but not for shotshell , now i bought a Lee 7/8 slug , my only problem the is the only powder i can get is herco , so there is no data for 7/8 slugs . i loaded some up with 35 grains and tested about 6 with pink winchester and 6 grey winchester wads both seem a lil hot , my question is has anyone worked up a load with herco for the 7/8 slugs , only asking is i dont want to blow up my benelli of siaga , thanks TCB

hatcreek
03-08-2014, 08:36 AM
I believe that 35 grs of herco is way to hot, i would back it down 5grs or more, there is alot of useful information on this forum, just hunker down and read, I'm sure the good folks out here will answer your questions, and help you along , just remember your safety comes first... HC

TheCzechBoss
03-08-2014, 05:37 PM
I believe that 35 grs of herco is way to hot, i would back it down 5grs or more, there is alot of useful information on this forum, just hunker down and read, I'm sure the good folks out here will answer your questions, and help you along , just remember your safety comes first... HC

thank you .. i went into the middle of the load data for the 1oz slug which is between 34-36 , i will try 30 out in some rem gun club cases i got at the 3 gun today

35remington
03-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Remember, the problem is fit. Remove everything the load did not call for.

savage308
03-09-2014, 08:13 PM
I have had great results with a lee 7/8 oz slug in a cheditte hull with 18 gr. of titewad and a fed 12so wad with a 6 point fold crimp. no need for any cards and shoots great out of my 870 with imp.cyl.

mac60
03-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Remember, the problem is fit. Remove everything the load did not call for.

I agree. The problem is fit. 36 gr. of Herco will not fit. No way, no how. Taking out the hard card from under the slug didn't change the fact that the wad is sitting in the hull with the top of the wad way up in the crimp section of the hull. The components the data calls for WON'T FIT. The problem is 36 gr. of Herco occupies too much of the hull.

longbow
03-10-2014, 12:48 AM
Not having used Herco, I can't comment directly on recipes and components. However, looking at the Lee data they list 34 grs. of Herco in two recipes and 36 grs. in the one you are looking at so I have to think that the powder charge they recommend is correct and that possibly the wad you are using has a longer cushion section that the one listed.

I have four different Winchester wads: Win AA red, yellow, white and pink and all have different length cushion legs and different cup sizes. IIRC the Win AA red has the shortest cushion leg.

Of all shotshell reloading components, wads are one I do not worry much about substituting especially if to get correct crimp height.

Do not be changing hull, primer or powder charge randomly! They all work together to provide a recipe designed to produce acceptable pressure at a specified velocity. Slug loads being designed to produce as high a velocity as possible within acceptable pressure limits for the components chosen. Birdshot recipes are designed to produce specific velocities of from about 1150 FPS to 1300 FPS at acceptable pressure.

If in doubt though, it is best to confirm the recipe using other sources for comparison or contact Lee for their confirmation of powder charge, wad and hull combination.

Shotshell reloading is not a place to be experimenting if you are not familiar with the process and procedures. It is not like metallic cartridge reloading for rifles and handguns where there are dependable pressure signs while working up loads.

Best to get yourself several reloading manuals as slug data is a bit sparse and there is a huge variety of components but you may not be able to get everything listed for some recipes (especially if you live in a reloading supply desert like I do). It is always best to cross reference between a couple of manuals if there is any doubt about a specific load recipe.

Like I said, I would call Lee for confirmation and check on which model of WAA wad they used.

Longbow

mac60
03-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Longbow, I'm using a WAA12 (white) wad (genuine Winchester mfg.) just like the data calls for. The charge is 36.0 gr. of Alliant Herco just like the data calls for. The hull is a Winchester AA HS just like the data calls for. The charge is weighed 36.0 gr. on 4 different scales. IT DOESN'T FIT. Substituting a WAA12R (red) wad with a .125 20 ga. card under the slug and reducing the charge to 30.0 gr. results in a perfect crimp and makes a good looking smooth feeding shell. I have a few loaded and plan on testing them when I get a chance.

longbow
03-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Not trying to be argumentative but all I see in the Lee load data is Win AA ~ no colour or other number stated.

I have Winchester AA pink, WAA12SL (longest at approx. 1 3/4" long), red WAA12R (shortest at approx. 1 3/8" long), white AA 1 14 to 1 3/8 oz. (approx. 1 9/16" long) and yellow AA 1 1/4 oz. (approx. 1 11/16" long).

Since the red is the shortest that is the best you can do... except, have you tried without the .125" card wad? Not sure how much powder room that displaces but certainly some. If it is 6 grs. then that answers that question.

I am not familiar with the newer Win AA hulls as all I have ever reloaded are the old style one piece and they were a small volume tapered hull. I doubt these newer style would be any smaller volume.

Since you are downloading you are not going to run into any pressure problems, though you may get a blooper if the load does not build enough pressure. Again, I am not familiar with Herco so don't know how it responds that way. Blue Dot can be a problem with light/low pressure loads.

I am sure Lee would be happy to confirm their recipe if you call them. That way at least you know they haven't made a typo and that you have exactly what they are calling for.

That's all I've got.

Longbow

hatcreek
03-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Do a forum search, best powder for lee slugs post # 199, Ajay madden.. states that some of the Lee load data is way to hot, ie: it list 49grs of blue dot in a gold medal hull witha waa12 (white wad), brought down to 44 grs it fits perfect, with your load he suggest 33 34 grs of herco, i also use Herco, 34grs in a gold medal hull waa12 (white wad) perfect fit, like I said in the past hunker down and search this forum, tons of info, good luck.. HC