PDA

View Full Version : B+M Measures, books

Bret4207
11-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Don't know whats up, but there a bunch of B+M measures on Ebay right now along with a copy of "The Bullets Flight", "The Art of Bullet Casting" and a few other neato type things. Those who still utilize Ebay, (yes, I know they are friends of satan, evil, etc) might check them out.

newfoundlander
11-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Satan can be useful at times. By all means get a Belding and Mull powder measure even if you have to make a deal with the Devil (or have him broker it!). I have three B&Ms and several drop tubes. I really only "need " one but acquired all three hopper variants (brass, plastic, aluminum) out of sheer obsessiveness. Buffalo Arms makes replacement parts and sells drop tubes should you come across a clunker at a good price. The micrometer drop tube is nice but not really necessary. If you want to repeat a measure of powder just use a set of calipers to measure the OAL of the measure once you've established your load setting. the micrometer measure is a little handier to use when determining load size but not by much.

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-19-2007, 02:42 AM
B&M fans, why aren't you all stampeding to MVA to buy their replica made on CNC machinery with the micrometer tube? Mine will hold .1gr even with black powder and 3831.

Rich

buckndee
11-19-2007, 02:56 AM
What is the contact info for MVA?

Bret4207
11-19-2007, 06:51 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Why buy new when you can buy used and save the bucks for something else? I can find B+M measures and micrometer tubes easy enough and for well under $100.00 get a fine example. Last I knew the replicas were close to $200.00, plus shipping, plus handling, plus this and that. No offense intended, just facts from where I stand.

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-19-2007, 02:03 PM
should be www.mva.com

I got two used B&M, and one new MVA. The MVA does not have fifty or sixty years of wear and tear and meters closer. The MVA adjustable tube works better (more precisely) than either of the old B&M do. Besides, MVA offers parts to fix the old B&M as well. There's no "this and that and handling..." charge, just the cost of the unit and shipping to your zip code. IF we follow your logic that used will do and new isn't necessary, we could all step back to firelocks, or bows and arrows and save lots of money...there's the $$$ saving hobby. If you shoot accurately you would only need to make about a dozen new arrows a year.

Rich

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Oh yes, and I don't have to deal with the "Sons of Satan", just an American company that supports the shooting fraternity with donations.

Rich

Bret4207
11-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Like I said, no offense. How many powder measures do I need? And how much closer can I get than less than .1 grain in 5 tries? Maybe you've only seen very worn examples, but my $15.00 B+M with large and small micrometer tubes works fine.

To each his own. I was just pointing out that there seem to be a bunch available at this time.

sjohnson
11-21-2007, 12:48 AM
should be www.mva.com

I got two used B&M, and one new MVA. The MVA does not have fifty or sixty years of wear and tear and meters closer. The MVA adjustable tube works better (more precisely) than either of the old B&M do. Besides, MVA offers parts to fix the old B&M as well. There's no "this and that and handling..." charge, just the cost of the unit and shipping to your zip code. IF we follow your logic that used will do and new isn't necessary, we could all step back to firelocks, or bows and arrows and save lots of money...there's the $$$ saving hobby. If you shoot accurately you would only need to make about a dozen new arrows a year.

RichRich,

You might want to revise the link. For me, at least, www.mva.com sends me to a company called MicroVoice; they don't sell anything close to handloader tools.

John Boy
11-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Mine will hold .1gr even with black powder ...
Sharpshooter, even with Fg and FFg unglazed powder?

omgb
11-28-2007, 02:24 AM
By weight, I'm not too sure how accurate my B&M is with BP but....it will hold to .1 grains with flake and spherical smokeless, at tad less acurate with IMRs maybe more like .2 . What I do know is that it does meter BP by volume perfectly. Shoot, with BP in my 45-90 I could be off by 3 full grains and it might not make any noticable difference at all. I'm pretty safe in asserting that my B&M will hold +/- .5 of a grain with 1F and tighter with 3F, not that BP takes that kind of repeatability.

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-28-2007, 02:38 AM
My bad: www.montanavintagearms.com The reason they can meter so closely is the verrrry fine graduations on their tubes.

Another company that has to spell it out since Congress allowed some company to handle the website addresses. They instead, file a domain name for every company in the US and want to sell your own name. How come they can't do this the right way? Answered my own question when I said "Congress".

Rich