PDA

View Full Version : Show your Airgun ranges and home made targets and traps

GARD72977
11-17-2013, 01:41 PM
I have a few feet of ground 65 yard long behind my shed. Im going to build a airgun range to practice on. I do amatur machinest work so I want to build some targets and buy others. Im looking at a 1/10 scale silhouette set. Not sure If I want to build a set that is resettable of just use free standing targets.

I would like a target trap to catch the lead. It would be great for casting for ML. Just would like to see some pics for ideas.

Doc Highwall
11-17-2013, 03:35 PM
I use a 22 caliber trap made by Outers.

W.R.Buchanan
11-17-2013, 04:01 PM
I have a 10 meter range set up in my Machine Shop. Or I can set up in my garage as well.

Currently I am using a cardboard box with a bunch of cardboard pieces, a phone book and a piece of folded up cloth as a trap.

Probably going to make a new trap one of these days.

Formerly I had a 15x15 x 2 wooden box hung on the wall with some putty in it. It also has a picture light on top so you could see the target better. Worked great for 15 years but I have no idea what happened to it after the first move. Will have to make another.

As far as targets go,,, Go here and download and print out. No one should ever have to "buy" a target to shoot a pellet gun at. There literally hundreds of sources on the internet and any search will yield lots of possibilities.

http://www.mytargets.com/

http://www.targetprinter.com/

http://www.tnoutdoorsmen.com/targets.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=free+printable+targets&hl=en&safe=off&biw=840&bih=615&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=0bj2TZuOJ6f00gH5h4i9Cw&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQsAQ

And the source for the silhouette targets I practice on http://www.citlink.net/~schattler/target.htm

If you can't find something to shoot at in this list, then you need to re-examine your choice of hobbies.

Randy

GARD72977
11-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Great links but Im more interested in metal reactive targets of the homebrew design. I have a lot of ideas but not a lot of time to make them! Just want to see what others are doing

W.R.Buchanan
11-17-2013, 05:48 PM
For your silhouettes you could use the printed targets as patterns, and either cut them out of 1/8" steel sheet stock or have them lasered. which would be the best way.

Regular steel sheet would probably work just fine as all the hits on the Silhouette targets I made yesterday at 40 and 50 meters didn't dent the targets at all.

Here is the whole scoop taken from Wikipedia.

Target layouts

All rifle shooting is done standing, with the firearm unsupported. The exception to this is black-powder rifle; the ranges are the same as large-bore rifle, but only chickens must be shot unsupported; all other targets may be shot from any position, including crossed sticks, a bench may not be used. Pistol shooting, unless in a designated standing event, can be shot from any unsupported position. Like the any-position pistol shooters, standing pistol shooters adopt odd positions in their quest for the most stable possible shooting position. Standing pistol is the most difficult discipline; no one has shot a perfect 40x40. Standing big-bore any-sight pistol matches are often tied with perfect scores, and decided by a tiebreaker.

Silhouette sizes:

Chicken

Pig

Turkey

Ram

Width
13 in (33 cm) 22 in (56 cm) 19 in (48 cm) 32 in (81 cm)

Height
11 in (28 cm) 14 in (36 cm) 23 in (58 cm) 27 in (69 cm)

To allow shooting at ranges which may not have space for a full target layout, NRA rules allow the use of reduced scale pigs, turkeys and rams placed at the same distance as chickens. The scale will be reduced proportional to the change in distance, so the targets will cover the same angular distance as they would if set up at full range. Reduced scale matches fired at paper targets are also popular for informal competitions, especially for Internet based matches where the shooters may reside in different countries. These are generally fired with rimfires or airguns.

Targets for large bore use are 1/2" to 3/8" thick steel; small bore targets are 3/16" to 1/4" steel, and airgun targets are 1/8" steel, although some aluminum targets are produced.

Ranges may be measured in yards or meters, but all targets in a match must be set using the same unit of measure, and the shooters must be informed of the unit used. The exception is the new IHMSA Air Pistol discipline, which is in yards only.

Standard ranges (measured in either yard or meter)

Equipment

Chicken

Pig

Turkey

Ram

Scale

Large bore rifle
200 300 385 500 full

Small bore rifle
40 60 77 100 1/5

Air rifle
20 30 36 45 1/10

Cowboy rifle
50 100 150 200 Full

Cowboy pistol
40 50 75 100 1/2

Large bore pistol
50 100 150 200 Full

Small bore pistol
25 50 75 100 3/8

Field pistol
25 50 75 100 1/2

Air pistol (yds. only)
10 12.5 15 18 1/10

Hope this helps.

Randy

GARD72977
11-18-2013, 12:42 AM
I ordered the 1/10 scale Silhouette set off ebay tonight 63.99 shipped. I plane to put the Silhouettes in a boxed lined with metal and sand in the bottom to catch the pellets.

I have a plan for a field target style with a circuit that lights for a few seconds when you hit bullseye. I think it will help keep my step daughter interested. I will post pics when I have things going.

grizzlyadams
11-20-2013, 05:29 AM
i have about 55-60 yds if i shoot right off my back deck. when i am not lazy, if i walk up the hill and shoot sideways, i have about 275 yds down my back field, but the spinner targets are set right out back at 10-20 and 30yds for when mamma wants to take a few pot shots while she is doing laundry. i leave an air pistol on the shelf for her and a rifle in the corner for the spinners and any garden raiding pests in the summer. and the 45 colt carbine for any bigger "critters" in the fall months. i do have some scaled down silhouettes as well but i drilled holes in them and hung them so i would not have to reset them, and hung them from a bar at 45 yards. i have to go put the bar back up as i took it down last time we cut hay, and never put it back up. sorry for the lack of pics, but i dont think i could even take a decent one with my phone, and i am not savvy enough to use the digicam and download them even though it still have the owners manual!!!! ;)

grizzlyadams
11-20-2013, 05:44 AM
my pellet trap (a cheapy from wally world with an extra piece of steel in the back) has doubled in weight in the last year from lead, and one of these days i will get a boolit mold to make use of it!!!!but the only gun i use cast out of so far are my 45-70, 38/357, 44, 45colt, and a few pcp airguns that i am still looking for the right boolit for. when i do find it is when i will start casting for the pcps i should have plenty of nice soft lead by then!:) i need to put an outdoor target trap out at 25 and 50 yds to catch all my outdoor pellet shooting, as that is probably 5-10 times as much as indoor, and all of that lead has been going to waste!!!! :( hey, give me a break, i just got into this whole boolit thingy!

Lead Fred
11-20-2013, 08:21 AM
I bury all my targets, they are only one shot each

GARD72977
11-23-2013, 01:53 AM
Silhouette targets came in today. I set up the turkeys at about 35 yards. It was a lot of fun. I hit the first 3 that I shot at and then missed about 10 in a row. I ended being able to hit about 50% of the time. The 350 will really send them flying it they are hit high. Im excited about setting up my range.

Multigunner
11-23-2013, 03:32 AM
I just use a piece of scrap 3/4 inch plywood as a back stop. Its good enough for the medium power airguns I have. One should be sure that such scrap plywood isn't delaminated or otherwise damaged because I've put steel BBs through a rotten piece of 3/4 plywood and on another occasion through brand new privacy fence paneling with unexpected remaining energy.
PS
Don't tell my neighbor where those dents in his siding came from.
Seriously the low end pump up air rifles may not be the best choice for hunting but they can do a lot of damage if you don't use an adequate back stop.

binarybro
12-03-2013, 01:25 AM
I built this target stand of 3/4" plywood. There are boxes made of the same material that house the pellet traps you see in the photo. My wife is 5'-2" and she is posing with my FWB 124.89359

GARD72977
12-03-2013, 02:35 AM
That is a nice target, I have never seen anything like that. Your idea could be used in a number of different ways. Thanks for sharing