PDA

View Full Version : got some lead ingots hope for an id of what it is

skykingjohn
11-17-2013, 01:17 PM
i had a guy at church to day give me some lead bars to day and am wondering if some one knows what they are (as in how hard /pure lead or mix ) here is a pic 87742 i tested it againist some wheel weight and it seemed to scratch off on the bar not the other way around
thanks john

clodhopper
11-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Looks like weights for car racing.
If it is softer than wheel weights it could be soft lead.
Racing weight are notorious for being anything a do it your selfer had, and could melt with an oxy/acetlyne torch.
Could be wheel weights with the clips in it, maybe some brass, maybe some pot metal.
I would melt it down, but not mix it with any thing good untill you at least tested it's casting properties.

cbrick
11-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Having spent a few years on pit crews I can attest to the fact that those weights are made out of anything they can get their hands on that will melt and I do mean anything. Composition, hardness or anything else has no meaning, very few of them have any idea that there are different lead alloys, all they are interested in is weight. As mentioned, test it by casting before mixing it with anything you want to keep.

Rick

Airman Basic
11-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Was gifted with 60 lbs of racing lead cast in valve covers. 30 lbs apiece. scored them with an axe and broke them in half to fit my promelt. Each had 1 small nail cast inside and a few COWW clips, so probably mostly wheelweights? Anyway, fluxed and cast lots of boolits which shot good. Fun.