PDA

View Full Version : shifting mounts on grooved receiver

atr
11-16-2013, 04:00 PM
I need some help with this ....I have a Savage model 219B in 22 hornet...
the receiver is grooved for scope mounts......after about 30 rounds the mounts shift,,,actually jump out of the grooves...
I need some suggestions on how to over come the problem..
thanks
atr

Mk42gunner
11-16-2013, 05:25 PM
My 219 has a side mount. I don't really recommend that option, the scope isn't directly over the bore. Weaver bases #12 and 16 are supposed to fit the 219, but I don't know if they will work with the grooved barrel models, plus you would be adding height to the scope.

Simple stuff first. What kind of rings are you using now? I think a quality set of steel rings with some rosin or other fine grit on the gripping surface may be worth a try. I do not know what is available now for .22 rings, so I don't know what brand to recommend.

You could drill through the bottom of one of the rings and into the barrel to install a hidden stop pin or screw. Or drill and tap for a screw in front of the rings to act as a recoil lug for the rings.

A somewhat classier way to install a recoil lug for the rings would be to dovetail a lug in the top of the barrel; it would not have to be very high, so you could probably still use the iron sights if you want to.

Hope these ideas help. The Savage 219's are fun little rifles.

Robert

W.R.Buchanan
11-16-2013, 09:49 PM
I would just try torqueing them down a little further.

I have ran into this problem several times in the recent past. In every case increasing the torque from 35 Inch Pounds to 65 cured the problems and that is on rifles from .223 to .308, and Semi auto carbine in .40 S&W and a **** kicker spring power pellet gun.

Also be advised there are two common dovetails on low powered guns American guns have 3/8" dovetails, and European guns have 11MM dovetails. Your mounts need to fit the right one, since there is about .035 difference and if you try to put 11mm mounts on a 3/8 dovetail the angles are not going to match, and vice versa.

Check Brownells.

Randy

brotherdarrell
11-17-2013, 11:23 AM
You could also get an air rifle scope stop. I have used these a time or two to keep scopes from sliding around.

Darrell