PDA

View Full Version : 358-158-RF Mod Question.

LubeckTech
11-16-2013, 12:06 PM
I have a 358-158-RF 6 cavity mold I wish to turn in to a RN design - currently it is a FP.
If I were to send it out for this how much should I expect to pay and where would be good places to consider sending it? It is a relatively simple modification and also a cheap mold so I am trying to decide if I should send it out or attempt it myself and putting the money I would have spent having it done toward a better (or maybe custom) mold like a NOE.

williamwaco
11-16-2013, 12:40 PM
I have no idea what it would cost but I can tell you this.

If I were a custom mold maker, and you asked me that question, I would estimate that I could take a new, blank mold block and make a new six cavity mold in about half to one third the time it would take me to align and re-cut six existing cavities.

AND.

If I screwed it up, I screwed up a blank piece of aluminum, not a finished mold.

Check with Eric at http://hollowpointmolds.com

His business is based mostly on modifications.

paul h
11-16-2013, 12:47 PM
It may seem like a simple modification, but to be worthwhile the new noses need to be concentric to the existing cavities and it is time consuming to zero every cavity on a mill or lathe. One could easily spend an hour zeroing those six cavities.

you could likely buy a new mold for what it would cost to have that mold modified

MtGun44
11-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Get a new custom mold, or just buy a 358311 for way less. A little like converting a
Buick to a pickup truck - it's not impossible, but why would you.

Not sure what you goal is but that particular mold has been superbly accurate for me,
but maybe not for you.

Bill

williamwaco
11-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Get a new custom mold, or just buy a 358311 for way less. A little like converting a
Buick to a pickup truck - it's not impossible, but why would you.

Not sure what you goal is but that particular mold has been superbly accurate for me,
but maybe not for you.

Bill

Ditto.

I just retired my mold back to the cabinet this afternoon.
I now have approximately 1700 of them waiting to be sized.
That should get me through the cold weather and I can cast some more next spring.

HeavyMetal
11-17-2013, 11:12 AM
I guess the real question here is "why"?

Lee molds are extremely inexpensive and the latest rendition of there 2 cavity molds is light years ahead of the old ones, which I am sure will shortly be listed as "Vintage" on flea bay, LOL!

Not sure if Lee has a RN but it will cost you twice, ( minimum) to have your mold re cut as it would to buy one new and just have two molds.

Eric is a good guy and very talented if you want to spend that kind of cash.

leadman
11-17-2013, 12:22 PM
The round nose that Lee has is an older design with 2 lube grooves and a very weak base driving band. I had the lube grooves partially machined out because they hung on the mold and really slowed production.
I spoke with Andy Lee about this and asked him if he would consider combining the body of the 38-158-RFN with this 150gr RN. He said next time they have a cutter made he will probably do this. I think it would make a better boolit and drop from the mold way easier with the single wide lube groove.
So if the OP waits long enough he might be able to buy what he wants.

Bret4207
11-17-2013, 08:21 PM
I have a 358-158-RF 6 cavity mold I wish to turn in to a RN design - currently it is a FP.
If I were to send it out for this how much should I expect to pay and where would be good places to consider sending it? It is a relatively simple modification and also a cheap mold so I am trying to decide if I should send it out or attempt it myself and putting the money I would have spent having it done toward a better (or maybe custom) mold like a NOE.

Forgive me, but why?

LubeckTech
11-18-2013, 12:35 AM
The problem for me with the 358-158-RF is while it is a good shooting bullet a round nose on it would make it load much easier from a speed loader. Plus it is casting at about 163gr with most alloys I am using and I would not mind it being slightly heaver. I didn't think it would be cost effective to modify but it does not hurt to consider. Getting a Lyman 358311 is an excellent idea. This is a common mold and if I watch and wait I think I can probably find an older one for a decent price. The price of a new one is not bad but I would like to find an old one as the brand new Lyman molds I have bought tend to cast slightly on the small side and I have heard the older ones tend to cast a little bigger. Sometime next year I hope to get a RCBS 82154 which is a 180gr GC mold which has a profile that works well for me with my moon clipped L frame. I am also considering a MP-Molds .359-640 which is a 160gr HP or 170gr solid that I think has enough taper to load well from a moon clip or speed loader. Currently I am having gear success with the MP-Molds .358-140 which is a 9MM mold but sizes well to .358 and really loads well with speed loaders and shoots well too!!

Garyshome
11-18-2013, 12:40 AM
Just sell the thing and buy another one!

Bret4207
11-18-2013, 09:38 AM
The problem for me with the 358-158-RF is while it is a good shooting bullet a round nose on it would make it load much easier from a speed loader. Plus it is casting at about 163gr with most alloys I am using and I would not mind it being slightly heaver. I didn't think it would be cost effective to modify but it does not hurt to consider. Getting a Lyman 358311 is an excellent idea. This is a common mold and if I watch and wait I think I can probably find an older one for a decent price. The price of a new one is not bad but I would like to find an old one as the brand new Lyman molds I have bought tend to cast slightly on the small side and I have heard the older ones tend to cast a little bigger. Sometime next year I hope to get a RCBS 82154 which is a 180gr GC mold which has a profile that works well for me with my moon clipped L frame. I am also considering a MP-Molds .359-640 which is a 160gr HP or 170gr solid that I think has enough taper to load well from a moon clip or speed loader. Currently I am having gear success with the MP-Molds .358-140 which is a 9MM mold but sizes well to .358 and really loads well with speed loaders and shoots well too!!

Okay, now it makes sense. The 358311 can often be found in 4 cav on Ebay, what you're willing to pay...that's another issue.