PDA

View Full Version : opinions please on sight.

Catsmith
11-16-2013, 10:41 AM
I have a winchester 94 trapper model 3030. I have a load i love using a lee 309150f that is great in front of 9.5gr unique. The barrel loves it. I am deer hunting with it but having to rely on some kentucky elevation. With the factory rear sight maxed out i still am hitting close to 4" high at 35yd. I have no problem putting it where i want to but i want it right for others. This is a woods gun.

Been looking at peep sights and like the skinner barrel mount. Has anyone used one of them? Is there something else i should be looking at?

GunnyJohn
11-16-2013, 11:01 AM
How old is your M94? I have a reciever mounted lyman peep on mine. Williams also makes a decent reciever mount sight for not awhole lot of cash. If your 94 has the two small screws at the top rear left hand side of the reciever, they bolt right on. Plus the longer sight radius enhances accuracy. Just my thoughts.

RickinTN
11-16-2013, 11:24 AM
I may be "throwing a wrench in the gears" here but to me "maxed out" means all the way up. In order to lower point of impact you would lower the rear sight. I have and have worked with several lever rifles and all of the "peep" sights I have worked with are taller than the factory rear sight. Are you using the terminology "maxed out" to mean the factory sight is as low as it will go?
Rick

Catsmith
11-16-2013, 11:26 AM
It is a newer model with the 2 screws. I will look for that fiber sight you mentioned. Not a big fan of fiber but am looking at all options. Thanks for the replies, hope they keep coming.

Catsmith
11-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Well placed wrench Rick. Been doing this a long time and just had to grab my ears and pull till i hears a pop. Ok back to the drawing board. :oops::oops::oops:

northmn
11-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Lot of discussion on rear sights, but the front sight is really more important to me. I like the green fiber optics in 3/32 beads. Its the front sight you have to see against backgrounds. If your rear sight is as low as it can go you either need to get a higher front sight or file the rear sight down (I filed down one on a Rossi 357 for that reason) If you have it as high as it goes then lower it.
I have a Marlin that came with a peep sight that needed a higher front sight for the reasons stated. About as nice as a scope now.

DP

Doc Highwall
11-16-2013, 02:16 PM
A taller front sight will lower the point of impact.

pietro
11-16-2013, 07:10 PM
A taller front sight will lower the point of impact.

+1 - You need a taller front sight blade, and one even taller after mounting a receiver peep sight, to zero the rifle.

It's a good chance to change the front sight bead to one that may be more to your druthers, since the front sight needs changing anyway.

For best use, the closer a peep sight is to the shooter's eye, the better - why the "peep" sights that replace the rear bbl sight's are an easy way out for those who have guns w/o the factory prep peep sight holes & don't want to D/T the rifle.

If/when you mount a receiver peep sight, the rear bbl open/iron sight should be removed for a clean sight picture. The vacant bbl dovetail slot should be filled with either a commercial slot filler blank ($6 or so), or with a filler made by filing up the male dovetail section of an old longleaf bbl sight.

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0461.jpg http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/DSCN0466.jpg

Wind
11-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Hey there catsmith -- You might consider a tang sight as well. Marbles makes one with both windage and elevation adjustments built into the sight. You may need to add an extra hole in your tang for mounting, if your tang presently doesn't look like this...

After it gets plunked on there it should look like this...

They're handy for close in shots, have various apertures for varying light conditions, and will let you stretch your rifle out "a little farther" if you want.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

FergusonTO35
11-17-2013, 01:41 PM
If your carbine has a barrel dovetail mounted front sight I recommend a .600 high Skinner front sight and Williams 5D or FP receiver sight. That's what my 94 had and it worked great, accounted for several deer no problem. Total cost including a rear sight slot blank around $70.00.

snaketail
11-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Before you purchase a tang sight... consider that the "recommended" tang sight for the 92 will not extend high enough to hit anything beyond 50 yards. I put the recommended "short" one on my Rossi 92 and soon replaced it with the "Improved - mid range" sight. Now I can dial in shots up to 200 yards.

If I were starting over I would install a Receiver Sight. I have one on my .22 lever gun and it quickly became my favorite. My receiver sight is the "target" version and has click adjustment dials - I wish I had the same on my 92.

Either way you are going to have to replace the front sight - usually to a lower one. But your groups will tighten up and you'll have more fun shooting.

M

pietro
11-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Before you purchase a tang sight... consider that the "recommended" tang sight for the 92 will not extend high enough to hit anything beyond 50 yards. I put the recommended "short" one on my Rossi 92 and soon replaced it with the "Improved - mid range" sight. Now I can dial in shots up to 200 yards.

If I were starting over I would install a Receiver Sight. I have one on my .22 lever gun and it quickly became my favorite. My receiver sight is the "target" version and has click adjustment dials - I wish I had the same on my 92.

Either way you are going to have to replace the front sight - usually to a lower one. But your groups will tighten up and you'll have more fun shooting.

M

Respectfully, you're mistaken, snaketail.

Front sight should be moved in a direction opposite the desired movement of the POI; rear sights should be moved in the same desired direction that the POI's to be moved.

The cure for a rifle that shoots too high with the rear sight (open bbl or receiver peep) all the way "down" is a taller front sight blade, not a shorter one.

If a tang peep sight is installed, the issue-height front sight can be retained - either with the rear bbl open/iron sight removed & replaced with a slot filler blank; or with the rear bbl sight changed out for a folding sight (so the rifle can then be set up with dual zeroes - short range for the bbl sights; l& a longer range for the tang sight)

Catsmith
11-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I am going to get out there when this wind settles down and play with it somemore.

Wind
11-18-2013, 12:10 AM
Hey there snaketail -- You've got me wondering about your tang sight installation. I am a big fan of Marbles tang sights. Usually there are about 92 "clicks" in a standard sight stem. I try to use a front sight that will give a 50 yard zero, for the ammunition of choice, with "0" clicks in the tang sight. I was only able to get a 50 yard zero with this Winchester 25-20 by having 5 clicks in the tang sight using the globe front sight.

Adjusting up to 7 clicks gave me 100 yards. At 90 clicks I'm on a 400 yard dinger. This rifle has a 24" barrel whereas catsmith has a shorter trapper barrel. Barrel length will affect sight "reach" somewhat.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

snaketail
11-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Wind:
What great looking lever gun! I've been looking for one like that - what year is you Winchester?

The tang sight on my rifle (a Rossi) was just too short for .45 Colt. When I changed to the "improved" version and mid-range post I got everything I wanted..."0" at 50 yards, 6 clicks up for 100 yards, etc. But now I'm thinking I need to have a 25-20 'cause I really want one!

Pietro:
The problem was - I was topped out in elevation (tang at the highest position) and still hitting low. A lower front sight helped, but not enough.
My final solution was to use the original front sight and a taller tang sight. You are correct, but my problem was a compound issue. It's fixed now.

M

brassrat
11-19-2013, 12:50 PM
I am stuck with fast powders and lead boolets, on two rifles, because they shoot high with no more down adjustment.

Wind
11-19-2013, 09:51 PM
Hey again snaketail -- That Winchester was made in 1909. If you're looking for a mini-hyphen, you might also consider Marlin rifles. One of my all time favorites is a Marlin 1894 made in 1894 with a special order factory 28" barrel. It's chambered in 32-20 and shoots 1,000 yards with the set up in the picture!! I had to put a taller front sight on it just to be able to hit something inside of 100 yards!

Best regards. Wind

Ramjet-SS
11-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Take a look at Skinner a fine well made attractive peep sight.

johnme
11-20-2013, 11:46 PM
I have skinner sights on two Henry's, both barrel mounted rear sights. Did not need to change the front sights. After hunting I bought the biggest screw in peep adaptors they had. range sight in was fine but hunting the larger worked the best. My Marlin has the sx rail system that I can use QR mounts for thick woods hunting.