PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand prices

Fly
11-16-2013, 10:33 AM
I attend a lot of gun shows.There is always a ton of M1 Garands.But I hardly ever see people buying them.
Prices seem fixed from about $800 past $1000.They always say demand is what drives price.Well maybe
so.But I wonder if the price will ever come down on those rifles or just stay the same.

Fly:lol:

30calflash
11-16-2013, 10:45 AM
That seems to be the going rate in the northeast, for a decent one. Maybe with new wood for $1000. Local gun stores, not shows. At shows dealers usually ask more, but I've not been to a local show this year.

The CMP is running out of some options and Garands are very popular so if you see one you like and can afford don't wait to try to save some money. They could be higher in the future. JMHO.

If you qualify to purchase thru the CMP that is probably the least costly way to acquire one.

zomby woof
11-16-2013, 10:57 AM
If you qualify to purchase thru the CMP that is probably the least costly way to acquire one.

This, it's easy.

Eligibility requirements;

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm

prsman23
11-16-2013, 11:21 AM
The easiest and cheapest way to qualify is by having a C&R and being a member of the gca.

zomby woof
11-16-2013, 12:53 PM
But I wonder if the price will ever come down on those rifles or just stay the same.

My first M1 from the CMP was $250, then years later they were $400, then $600. Now the ones they have left are $650-$1000. See where this is going? Once the CMP runs out, prices will skyrocket.

Just look at the M1 Carbine prices.

gkainz
11-16-2013, 02:01 PM
I think my DCM (yeah, see how long ago that was) Garand was $95 ... $125 or so with shipping, IIRC

gnoahhh
11-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Mine was $160 20 couple years ago. Got a mint International Harvester at that.

gew98
11-16-2013, 10:11 PM
It's been almost a decade since I have seen fair prices for M1 rifles. At most shows you can still find M1's in gobs...all priced to bleed the nose !. I can remember the days of $199 M1's and $139 carbines......maybe 20 years ago or so...and I thought the days before me when they were $79 or less were heaven !.

John Allen
11-16-2013, 10:22 PM
800 to 1000 is the going rate at the PA gun shows for anything decent.

bob208
11-16-2013, 10:35 PM
have you ever seen the price of any mil surp gun come down? I have not as we speak right now the 91-30 s are going up.

the only way m1 prices will come down is if the ones in korea make it back in the country.

WallyM3
11-16-2013, 10:37 PM
have you ever seen the price of any mil surp gun come down? I have not as we speak right now the 91-30 s are going up.

the only way m1 prices will come down is if the ones in korea make it back in the country.

Maybe during the next administration?

Garyshome
11-16-2013, 10:39 PM
I could have bought one 5 years ago for $300.00 through the gun club. STUPID!

Baja_Traveler
11-16-2013, 11:51 PM
I think my DCM (yeah, see how long ago that was) Garand was $95 ... $125 or so with shipping, IIRC

Oh yea - Should have bought two, and a couple of carbines and 03's while I was at it. Who would have thought prices would go through the roof...

Epd230
11-16-2013, 11:57 PM
One of my first memories of going to a gun shop was walking in and seeing M1 Garands just stuck in a barrel. IIRC they were 150/each.

Kinda wish I woulda bought ten of them.

quasi
11-17-2013, 12:33 AM
if it makes you feel any better, the Korean Garands that Obama will not let be sold commercially on the U.S. are starting to arrive at Canadian Distibutors.

cwheel
11-17-2013, 12:35 AM
My CMP M1 turned out to be a late IHC that was all correct shipped to me in the mid 80's. Like the invoice above, it came to my door for $165. One of the best buys I've ever made in a firearm. I was a bit disappointed at the time, wanted a Winchester. Later learned how lucky I'd got. Experts say it is in the $3000 range now. Will never sell it, but the lesson learned, buy now from the CMP if you can, the value of these will never go down. Every once and awhile, take the old gal out and run a few clips through. Still have plenty of the surplus LC ammo that was selling with it dirt cheap at the time.
Chris

Jack Stanley
11-17-2013, 10:20 AM

I hate to say it but I rather doubt the next administration will be any better at letting firearms in than this one .

Perhaps the show I attend is a bit different because the Garands that are priced at eight hundred bucks are the ones with the muzzle that will swallow an aught six case neck . The throat is at six or worse , the rifle won't time , the op rod is bent , trigger group and rear sight need parts ....... you get the idea . The rifles that don't need four hundred dollars worth of parts start at about a thousand or so . What really bings the flippers out of the woodwork is when someone brings a rifle into the show that doesn't need parts to make it work . It's sad to see them all hound the person with offers of four hundred bucks .

We all coulda , woulda , shoulda but didn't Probably just as well we didn't because few people have the money to pay what is being asked for them .

Jack

30calflash
11-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Just remember that a dollar isn't worth much anymore and will most likely be worth less next month, next year and 3 years down the road. For $1000 it fills an oil tank, not much left over.

If it means the difference between eating and not then wait it out. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger, pun intended.

There's a lot of good info here and elsewhere and if you've the info for inspection purposes, or a friend that does, get one that you can afford. And, a good one for $1000 can cost a lot less than one for $500. The parts have gone up in value and some are becoming hard to find, in general.

A good rifle shouldn't loose value.

DCM
11-18-2013, 09:11 PM

1996 was the last year for the DCM, time flies...

tygar
11-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Luckily I bought a bunch way back when. I even have Collector Grades & the one year only Grade (forget the name) that was a like new gun. I made it a point to frequently talk to the guys at Anniston & got a decent Collector grade (most were about rack grade), almost numbers matching HRA, Winchester, pre war, etc. basically one of everything. Also got 2 non re-work guns that #s matched except for a couple easily replaceable parts.

Now for the 1yr only gun - it was a 6mil 80k or 90K ser#, it literally could be the last one issued, almost as new as issued, all matching parts, like new wood, metal, barrel, etc. the only minus is it has a 1965 arsenal date. It is the nicest I have ever seen & it shoots good. I use another stock so that the like new one with it doesn't get scratched.

Even have had some big collectors interested in a couple.

Going to see what a couple of the hi dollar guns are worth now.

Also have a couple very nice 03s, Hi #s & 03A3s & 3 nice Carbines, 1 is collectible but can't remember what it is.

Sure glad I got them in the 80s & 90s. Also like others got a lot of LC Match in 06 & 308 & numerous sealed cases of 06 in clips.

Just remembered I also have a M1 Navy Match in 308.

All this talk about M1s has got me excited to get some of them out & shoot.

Oh, and at the shows, I see a lot of M1s for sale at 800+ but I don't see them selling.

MUSTANG
11-18-2013, 10:22 PM

Which one will that be,the Neo-Stalinist or Neo-Maoist?

The wife and I competed in High Power matches in the 1980's and each qualified to buy a Garand through the DCM. We both receive H&R Garands with excellent metal, but mmedicre stocks. A light fine grade sanding followed by 30 coats of Tung oil on each resulted in a couple of fine looking Garands that shoot very well too. We would not part with them for any price. I suppose that's good since the ability to replace them with equal quality would be exceptionally difficult.

Mustang

WallyM3
11-18-2013, 10:35 PM
The Reactionary Capitalist Right Wing Front.

wv109323
11-18-2013, 11:51 PM
I was in Cabela's at Charleston,WV today. In the Gun Room there was an M1 Garand. Price was $3995.00 with accessories. I didn't even spend enough time to see what it was.

fouronesix
11-19-2013, 12:16 AM
Nope, can't turn back the clock. Prices are what they are and no amount of reminiscing will change it. Right now the price tags people are reporting are all over the map. The actual selling prices may be something different and are kind of hard to pin down. Not counting some of the more recent CMP sales, I think knowledgeable buyers are paying about 750-950 for decent to very good Garands. Really good ones with little bore or action wear are quite a bit higher- up in the 1200-1800 range. Specific manufacturers, variations, dates, higher condition pieces are even higher.

gmsharps
11-19-2013, 03:00 AM
I picked up from the DCM my IH which is all correct and one heck of a shooter around the 90 time frame. I also got one of the M1D's when they had a 100 per month lottery and enough guns for a 3 year time frame and when the rifle arrived it had all of the accessories in sealed bags including the scope. The rifle appears to have never been fired from the build time. Of course the Receivers they used to build these were from depot rebuilds and were reparkerized for the build. These were going for $600 and the DCM stopped sales shortly after I received mine and increased the price to $1000 for the remainer of the lottery. Some of the rifles had accessories and some did not it was luck of the draw.
If you want a M1 Garand and can qualify to get one from the CMP you better do it soon. They are the best bang for the buck going today.

gmsharps

fatelk
11-22-2013, 02:45 PM
The CMP is great. I just bought two service grade H&R M1s last winter. Both are very nice rifles. The bore on one of them looked unfired. $625 each IIRC.

I heard a guy at a gun show once bragging how he bought a dozen M1s every year and sold them at his gun show table for a $500 profit, each. :(