PDA

View Full Version : Competition Air Rifle Shooting

richhodg66
11-16-2013, 10:04 AM
I took over as a JROTC Instructor at a high school in Topeka and they had all the stuff for a 10 Meter air rifle team, just some challenges with all the regulatory stuff (man, try to do anything gun related in a high school nowadays) and because our range is off site, there were some other challenges in getting this stood up without some other team I have suffering.

Anyway, I got about a dozen to pass the CMP test they have and we started our practices this past week. Some of them show promise. I was on my high school rifle team in the early '80s when we had Remington 40Xs, but hadn't though much about shooting small bore in a long time. Now I'm kind of interested. I can't shoot in the matches the kids do, but was thinking of buying myself a decent target air rifle and maybe getting into this since I have a good 10 meter range I'll be spending time on now.

Anyone shoot this particular sport or have a recommendation for a rifle?

Doc Highwall
11-16-2013, 10:33 AM
I have an Anschutz 2002CA that gets recharged off of an scuba tank and is good for about 300 shots before it needs to be recharged, about 10,000 shots from an 80 cubic foot tank. Mine shoots 10 shot groups between .010" - .020" with H&N pellets all day long. I used it for small-bore practice standing, kneeling, and some sitting. I have mine set up with both iron sights and scope making practice with it as close to my Anschutz 2013 that I shoot in competition. The cost is high to get into it but the amount of practice you can do at home is priceless. I have a 10 meter range in the basement allowing me to practice any time I want even at 3AM during a snowstorm in the comfort of my home.

The low velocity adds a great safety factor that even a sheetrock wall will stop the pellet but can be frustrating until you learn to follow through on your shots.

HARRYMPOPE
11-16-2013, 11:41 AM
I think CMP was selling the Benjamin Challenger at a discount to clubs.our club was looking into the two months back.I believe they would be about $400.I don't see them now but they have a few at good prices.

rsterne
11-16-2013, 01:02 PM
At the other end of the scale from the Annie is the Daisy 753-853-953 series of SSPs (single stroke pneumatics).... The 953 has a plastic stock and cheap sights but is still amazingly accurate, plenty for beginners, I still can't shoot as well as that gun.... The 853 has a wood stock with spacers on the butt to adjust the length of pull, a Lothar Walther barrel and good sights, it's a lot of gun for the money.... It is the standard rifle for Cadets in Canada.... The 753 is another step up from there, and Daisy used to have a Club setup for mass purchases aimed at clubs such as yours.... They are worth checking out....

Bob

W.R.Buchanan
11-16-2013, 09:11 PM
It kind of depends on " how interested you are?" Spending $2K on a gun of any type that you are only going to shoot a few times and then lose interest in is not going to bode well with your spouse. It is also not going to be something you are going to be able to just sell in a heartbeat. It would be a very limited market, indeed.

However if you are really going to get into it, then "buy the best and only cry once" would probably apply.

Also in the dead of winter it would be a lot of fun to be able to shoot in your basement or garage, when it is snowing outside.

If you're going to be coaching the kids then setting a good example, not only with your actions, but with your equipment would be a prudent thing to do. That way they can aspire to a higher level than shooting BB guns at targets essentially for the hell of it. Olympic shooters come from everywhere and none of them use substandard equipment and win.

Setting a high example with your equipment would also serve to weed out the dilatants, and promote the ones who actually had talent.

There are also good high quality used guns available from several sources, like Pyramyd Air and other outfits as well. That way may be a better way to go since in that game second hand is definitely better than second rate.

Lots to consider here, but I would look from the top down as opposed to the bottom up, and resign yourself to either buying a new 1st rate gun and support equipment or a 1st rate used gun with all the support equipment.

Either way if you miss you won't be able to blame the gun.

Randy

45 Bravo
11-16-2013, 09:14 PM
It all depends on what you are looking to spend.

Since you are involved with the ROTC.
The cmp sells the daisy 853 refurbed by their armorers to factory specs
For $115 shipped to your door.

You can't beat that for a 10meter riflle.

Pull the sights off, and scope it (the rail is there)
And have all kinds of fun..

btroj
11-16-2013, 09:34 PM
I have an older FWB 300 S if you are interested. It was used by an air gun club in the area for a few years.

richhodg66
11-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Lots of good advice. I have plenty of these Avanti/Daisy rifles, a lot more than I need. Maybe I'll just designate one of them as mine to shott until I decide if I want to pursue it.

rsterne
11-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Let us know when/if you get to the point you can outshoot the rifle and simply HAVE to upgrade....

Bob