PDA

View Full Version : Cimmaron/Uberti "P" Model

Guesser
11-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Fell into a brand new in the box 5.5" "P" model yesterday for more than 200$ off list. It is in 44 Special. This is my first Italian gun. Questions come to mind.
Are the chamber throats usually uniform?
Is the proper differential size correlation between throats and bore good in these guns?
Has anyone ground the cylinder pin short so it can be permanently seated and eliminate the stupid preventor?8762587626

Silver Jack Hammer
11-16-2013, 12:19 PM
I have ground all the base pins off of the Uberti single actions either I or my son own. I have seen loaded, cocked single actions go "click" instead of "bang" when a cowboy has attempted to kill steel to make the town safe for the citizens. Those base pins get pushed in accidently when unloading or otherwise. Always grind the base pin down to make the pistol function as the original Army revolving cartridge model and follow the safety rules that apply to all firearms.

The last I heard the cylinder throats are oversized, they copied the original models down to this flaw. The barrel cylinder gap should be properly sized for good shooting but the cylinder throats are probably oversized.

I am having a cylinder cut from .357" to .44 Special as we speak and frankly I doubt if there will be any great difference in the way it will shoot. I have a 4 3/4" Colt SAA in .44 Special with .429" bore and .430" cylinder throats and it doesn't really shoot any better than my 4 3/4" .427" / .434" Colt .44 Special but the later is getting a new cylinder anyway. I placed 5 rounds in 5 inches at 100 yards with my 7 1/2" Colt .44 Special with oversized cylinder throats and tight bore. So don't worry too much about the cylinder throats, a good trigger is really what makes the difference. But you are shooting the pistol off hand so just shoot it and enjoy it.

Guesser
11-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Good info, SJH, thanks. I'll look at shortening that pin.
I shoot two other 44 Specials so I'll work with what I have and enjoy.

Treetop
11-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Guesser, did they have any more at that price? That's exactly what I'm looking for! I really like my Model P in .45 Colt. Thanks, Tt.

Guesser
11-17-2013, 11:58 PM
That was the only one, it had been bought in Helena and traded in in Great Falls. The original price tag from Capital Sports was in the box. I suspect it was a gift that didn't fit the recipient.

35 Whelen
11-18-2013, 03:27 AM
Congrats on your find! If you got it for $200+ less than retail, that puts it down around $300 which is indeed a steal.

I have that EXACT pistol. I didn't fool with grinding the base pins short on any of mine. Pay attention to what you're doing and you won't have any problems. The only "problem" I've found is after quite a bit of shooting with moderately heavy loads (6.5 - 7.5 grs. Unique or AL 20/28) the base pin developed a flare that made it difficult to insert and remove. I chucked the pin in my cordless drill and polished the flared portion a little with fine wet/dry sandpaper. If/when it does it again, I'll likely order a new one from Belt Mountain as I did for my 4 3/4" Uberti.

I at first obsessed over cylinder throat diameters vs. groove diameter, then I just sized all my bullets .430" and SHOT IT:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/55target-ed_zpscd4c8987.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/55target-ed_zpscd4c8987.jpg.html)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/55100yds-ed_zps075131d0.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/55100yds-ed_zps075131d0.jpg.html)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/5_zpsdf17a411.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/5_zpsdf17a411.jpg.html)

This particular pistol is used mainly for CAS but I did regulate the front sight to put a 260 gr. dead on at 50 yds.

35W

9.3X62AL
11-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Doesn't apply to the 44 Special question per se......but a recent 44-40 WCF Uberti C-man I got in Jan 2013 has .429" throats and .428" grooves. It shoots womderfully, and its dimensions mesh well with my Win '73 in 44-40, which has .429" grooves. Both arms dote upon .429"-sized SAECO #446 (205 grain FN), so I feel quite fortunate. So far, that base pin has behaved itself--I ignore it, and it returns the favor.

35 Whelen
11-18-2013, 01:59 PM
You can probably see in the pictures I LOWERED the front sight to bring the point of impact up.

35W

Larry Gibson
11-18-2013, 03:01 PM
I also grind the cylinder pins on my Uberti's with that PC *** "safety feature. I then have the cylinder pin in all the way and simply load and carry the SAA as a "5 shooter". That's not how it was intended by Colt or the Army back in '74 but it's how we have learned to carry it safely in the intervening 140+ years.

My Uberti's are 45 Colts so I can comment on the throats.

Larry Gibson

Treetop
11-18-2013, 07:34 PM
That was the only one, it had been bought in Helena and traded in in Great Falls. The original price tag from Capital Sports was in the box. I suspect it was a gift that didn't fit the recipient.

Well, at least I asked. :smile: Maybe Santa will leave one under the tree for me.

Other than shooting low, I really like my 4 3/4" .45 convertible Model P. My next trip to the ranch, I'm going to bring the POA and POI together, using Silver Jack Hammer's method, described in another post.

I'm glad you got a great deal on it, Guesser. Enjoy! Tt.

35 Whelen
11-18-2013, 08:42 PM
I also grind the cylinder pins on my Uberti's with that PC *** "safety feature. I then have the cylinder pin in all the way and simply load and carry the SAA as a "5 shooter". That's not how it was intended by Colt or the Army back in '74 but it's how we have learned to carry it safely in the intervening 140+ years.

My Uberti's are 45 Colts so I can comment on the throats.

Larry Gibson

I load 6 in mine and lower the hammer to rest on the cylinder between the rims of two of the cartridges.

35W

9.3X62AL
11-18-2013, 09:21 PM
I load 6 in mine and lower the hammer to rest on the cylinder between the rims of two of the cartridges.

35W

How "secure" is the cylinder sitting in that fashion? I've always done the "5 Beans In The Wheel" method with Colts and their copies, liking that empty chamber secured with the locking bolt. If a firing pin protrusion between the cartridge rims prevents the cylinder from revolving, that would be a workable solution--and the Colts & Clones could act something like New Model Rugers in relative safety.

35 Whelen
11-18-2013, 09:40 PM
How secure is it? I've carried it in that manner since spring. I carry it most all the time when I'm outside here at the house and have carried like that on, I don't know...6 or 8 trips to the deer stand since the first of November. The only down side is when rotating the cylinder to the proper spot, the bolt drags the cylinder leaving a line.

35W

Silver Jack Hammer
11-19-2013, 10:59 AM
"I load 6 in mine and lower the hammer to rest on the cylinder between the rims of two of the cartridges."

35 Whelen, That system of carry is only suggested with the cap and ball revolvers. 5 beans in the wheel is the suggested carry for a Model "P" 3 screw.

35 Whelen
11-19-2013, 12:50 PM
"I load 6 in mine and lower the hammer to rest on the cylinder between the rims of two of the cartridges."

35 Whelen, That system of carry is only suggested with the cap and ball revolvers. 5 beans in the wheel is the suggested carry for a Model "P" 3 screw.

I understand, but actually the method of lowering between the rims wasn't something that was suggested to me or that I ready anywhere. It's just something that occurred to me early in the year when I wanted to carry a shot load without reducing the number of bulleted rounds from 5 to 4. I'm not saying I invented the idea by any stretch. I can't imagine how the hammer wouldn't "stay put" as it'd be next to impossible for the cylinder to rotate. To do so, the hammer would have to somehow rise over the rim of a cartridge while the cylinder somehow rotated on its own.

I fully understand this method is not as safe as carrying the hammer over an empty chamber, but it's one of those risks in life I'm willing to take.

While we're on the subject of taking risks, how many here talk or text while driving, drive without a seatbelt, drive after having a couple of beers/drinks, smoke, eat unhealthy foods, don't exercise enough or at all...

Just a little food for thought as a reminder that we all take risks everyday and we don't always understand the risks the other fellow is willing to take....

35W

rintinglen
11-19-2013, 02:24 PM
If you drop it, loaded with six, and set in "between" you can break or bend the firing pin tip. Then you have a club. The bolt is a bigger piece of metal and more resistant to damage. If I need more than five, I'm packing a different gun.

35 Whelen
11-19-2013, 02:33 PM
If I drop a pistol, I got no business carrying one. In 45 years of carrying various firearms while hunting, competing, or just bumming around the woods, I've never dropped, or even ALMOST dropped a firearm.

Like I said, earlier, to each his or her own. You don't understand why I carry six, I don't understand why you carry five, but it's all good and I respect your decision and ask that you respect mine.

35W

square butte
11-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Ever get bucked off, kicked to the ground, rolled over on, or fall on a firearm you are carrying? It does happen

35 Whelen
11-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Bucked off: Yes. Kicked to the ground: No idea what you mean. Rolled over on: No. Fall on a firearm I'm carrying: NEVER.

If these are things that concern you and are apt to happen to you, then you should probably carry on an empty chamber, or better yet, completely unloaded, or even better, don't carry at all. That way you can be 100% sure you'll never be hurt by a firearm you're carrying presumably to protect yourself. Ironic, isn't it?

What was that old adage regarding security vs. freedom?

35W

Mr Peabody
11-28-2013, 12:46 PM
I got a Cimmaron 5.5 inch last week. The throats are all .430. The forcing cone is a sweetheart for my cast loads. I'm liking this one.

Guesser
11-28-2013, 02:43 PM
I had mine out last week. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that it handles the 429360 better than any 44 I have ever owned. I loaded that batch just to plink with in my Taurus 441 family, had them on hand so tried them in the Model "P". It would seem that that bullet finally has a permanent home.