PDA

View Full Version : Off topic but I broke a record

44man
11-16-2013, 09:10 AM
My friend Dave (the guy that missed 5 with the revolver) came to archery hunt.
I took my Bama Bow, long bow, wood arrow and Snuffer broad head. I shot the smallest deer I ever killed, could skin it like a rabbit! :lol: I told Carol my glasses must magnify them. ;) A true small deer record!
Picking up Dave at dark and he was looking for an arrow about 15 yards, tried to tell me it was a practice shot but nobody shoots a broad head in the ground for practice.
I will give him 6 misses this season.

Djones
11-16-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm laughing in the tree stand now. Tell Dave to keep his chin up!

white eagle
11-16-2013, 12:15 PM
wtg nice record

44man
11-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Yeah, got it cut up in no time. Carol bitches but I had almost no room in the freezer. What would I do with a large deer? She is a food hoarder, filled two and the one on the fridge. Then she buys stuff to eat and never goes in the freezers.

slim1836
11-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Sounds like Dave has "Buck Fever".

Slim

DougGuy
11-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Then she buys stuff to eat and never goes in the freezers.

Lmao!!

I got one when I didn't have any meat one year, it was SO tiny that I couldn't hardly hit it with a scoped slug barrel and the dogs (not mine) were just wearing the poor thing out so I took it.. All 38lbs of it field dressed. I felt bad..

44man
11-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Lmao!!

I got one when I didn't have any meat one year, it was SO tiny that I couldn't hardly hit it with a scoped slug barrel and the dogs (not mine) were just wearing the poor thing out so I took it.. All 38lbs of it field dressed. I felt bad..
Me too. But no fat and bony might let a hard winter kill the poor thing with starvation. There are no acorns at all this year.
It is a hard choice sometimes.
I don't think this one would have made it.

CastingFool
11-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Lmao!!

You sure it was a deer? just asking.... lol

TXGunNut
11-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Nothing wrong with that, meat in the freezer. Freezers need cleaning out now and then, found a cople of wild pork loins in there just the other day. Even the best-wrapped stuff gets freezer burn after awhile, willing to bet there's quite a bit of stuff that needs eating or tossing.

Freightman
11-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Can you say vegetarian old Indian word for bad hunter :kidding:

NVScouter
11-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Opening day of elk cow we got into them. I got between the herd and a calf. I thought the calf was a cow at 250y put my scope level with th shoulders and shot clean over.

My friend asked me if I wanted a cow or calf as it ran over to the herd. I told him either apparently. After all the deer and antelope I've killed this year that big calf would have fit nicely.

It happens

RugerFan
11-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Years ago when I lived in Maryland, I shot an embarrassingly small fawn with a bow. Back then the limit on post (APG) was 5 deer. 2 bucks and 3 does, but you had to fill your 3 doe tags before shooting the 2nd buck. That was somewhat of an incentive to shoot the first 3 baldies to walk by. I was feeding a family of 4, so I was happy to have the meat as well. Anyway, the 2nd doe I got was a little spotted fawn. I caught ENDLESS ribbing from my buddies. I got the last laugh though because I ended up filling all 5 tags that year including a big 9 pointer that still hangs on my wall.

pmer
11-16-2013, 05:39 PM
My brother in law hunts with his "X son in law" and grandson. The XSL shoots lights out from a bench but can't connect in the woods either.

shredder
11-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Years ago when I lived in Maryland, I shot an embarrassingly small fawn with a bow. Back then the limit on post (APG) was 5 deer. 2 bucks and 3 does, but you had to fill your 3 doe tags before shooting the 2nd buck. That was somewhat of an incentive to shoot the first 3 baldies to walk by. I was feeding a family of 4, so I was happy to have the meat as well. Anyway, the 2nd doe I got was a little spotted fawn. I caught ENDLESS ribbing from my buddies. I got the last laugh though because I ended up filling all 5 tags that year including a big 9 pointer that still hangs on my wall.

I bet that few pounds of fawn were some of the best venison you ever ate! I made the mistake one year of shooting a big doe who was on her own then realizing 5 minutes later when the fawn showed up that she was not a dry doe. I felt really bad, but having 2 doe tags, I shot the fawn to spare him from his misery. No spots but sure was little and sure was tender!

Thumbcocker
11-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Can last years deer meat. More room in the freezer and a decade or longer shelf life.

Wolfer
11-16-2013, 11:25 PM
I once killed one that I hung on the gamble with my left hand.

44man
11-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Funny how we prefer a young squirrel, duck, etc. People pay for veal and tender aged meat. Lamb is good. Then they make fun of us hunters when we don't kill a book deer???? I gave up buck meat long ago.
I shot one in Ohio once and was on my way to design a steak knife size chainsaw, pressure cooker still left shoe leather and the stink, flavor was so bad the store did not stock enough spices.
A hard lesson is to have to plug your nose or waste an animal.
I wonder how many TV show shooters take the cape and head, let the rest lay?

MBTcustom
11-17-2013, 09:09 AM
The folks I used to hunt with would call that "breakfast fixins".

44man
11-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Good for all of you. You will never get a rash from me over deer size, you are hunters, not crazy trophy shooters.
Animals are to EAT and every one needs thanks to God.
An old doe is harder to get a shot at then any buck. The doe is proof of your hunting, the buck is only shooting.
But what is a DRY doe? That is actually a stupid thing because a they have milk long after fawns are on their own. How can anyone look at a deer and say it is DRY? Get off my back.
I have shot a doe in January that fawned in April and the fawns where as big as her. She had milk. Where do you read that stuff?

357maximum
11-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Early in my bowhunting career I had several assorted doe/fawn/fawn/doe/fawn/fawn units come to me all at the same time. In the midst of the mass of deer was a nice 1.5 yr old doe that had a slight gimp, nothing serious but it triggered the pack animal in me and I decided she should be the recipient of my zwickey broadhead.

Minutes later I pull the the old Bear recurve back when the opportunity arose at about 18 yards. Halfway to the intended target I ever so slightly touch an unseen mini-twig with the arrow. The arrow goes up and over the does back my millimeters and all hear is whack-bawl-bawl-bawl. After the arrow went over her it smacked right into the spine of a 70 lb buck fawn that still had some light spots on him standing another 20 yards beyond THE TARGET. Another arrow through his lungs and I had some mighty tasty venison and a small tinge of guilt. The guilt subsided way before all his steaks were eaten however.

You launch enough arrows/bullets/boolits at deer and bad/weird/odd/miraculous things are gonna happen eventually....I do not care how good ya are. Make the most of them situations and keep the skillet hot. :mrgreen:

Wolfer
11-17-2013, 10:07 PM
What I always referred to as a dry doe would also be called a barren doe. Big, fat, no sign of ever having babies and a snout that could drink a gallon mason jar dry. I've only killed three of these in my life.
I always use the ground check method, meaning I check em after their on the ground.
These are excellent eating! Woody

pmer
11-18-2013, 09:09 AM

This might be my first dry doe. She is adult sized and her bag was not dropped down at all. I thought it seemed a bit odd while I was using the knife. Got her Sunday evening with a Cast Performance 265 grain WFN and 19.3/2400 .45 Colt. It was very windy and the tree stand was moving back and fourth like crazy.

I hunt crop land deer and it seems does are the easier to get than bucks. Does and fawns go into the fields first and graze like cattle. Young bucks then come out when its a little darker. If they are nervous, looking back into the woods, there could be a mature buck making sure the young buck isn't going to have any fun. Big ones rarely come out with enough lite to shoot. I have yet to shoot a big deer that tasted bad but haven't got a super old one either.

44man
11-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Bucks are harder to find because they are different for bedding areas and movements but everyone I shot at close range was easier then a doe that misses NOTHING. Long range for a rifle is different but one close is a bundle of explosives. It is because they protect young. Bucks have a different attitude.
I will agree that a DRY doe is only found once dead. Fawns are weaned and are eating plants, etc, so those with a doe will survive even if the doe has milk. I have never killed an older doe without milk, any time of year and you can not tell looking at one. The premise is that she has no fawns with her but you don't know where they are. The doe has family groups and hang together and the only time a doe has no milk is if she was not bred. That will be a young one or one never coming into season during rut.
I have never been able to look at a doe alone and assumed she is dry, that is false. They don't get milk bags like a cow. Like a dog, once the young are weaned, breasts shrink. You cut and find milk.

44man
11-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Now more thoughts about Dave. He told me he got down once---so why? To find and check an arrow of course. He must have missed one before we had to find the last arrow at dark. I am going to say he missed 7 deer this season but he will not admit it. He thinks he is fooling me.