PDA

View Full Version : Baking PC Question

wrench
11-15-2013, 09:18 PM
OK, you PC guys have juuuuuust about got me. I've got some 9mm cast bullets, and a pound of HF matte black PC.
I was planning on trying freightman's dry tumble method of application.
Here's the deal-years ago I powdercoated lots of fishing jigs, and just baked them in the normal house oven. I never noticed any smoke or stink.
Now, I read that all of you guys are using a stand alone toaster or convection oven.
Does this stuff stink? Is there any reason you couldn't bake them in your regular oven?
Thanks for your input.

Skip62
11-15-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm just guessing, but putting LEAD near anything you consume is a bad idea.

Beagle333
11-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Well, it does smell quite strongly. The directions with the HF gun said that it will contaminate food if the oven is used for both kinds of cooking. I do know that my toaster oven smells strongly of the PC when I'm pre-heating it, even though there isn't a load in it at that point. I am using a little Black & Decker toaster oven that I got new at Kroger for $14.99, and I'm sure you can pick up many different kinds, sizes and models at most thrift stores or yard sales. Try Craigslist too.

xacex
11-15-2013, 11:49 PM
After doing several batches it is quite apparent that there is a contaminant that coats the inside of a oven. I would not use a oven you intend on ever cooking food in again. But, it is your health so you have to make that choice. Trust me, in the long term it is a bad idea.

starmac
11-15-2013, 11:51 PM
I would be more worried about the powder coat leaving a bad taste in the thanksgiving turkey than any lead contamination. My wife would kill me long before any lead would hurt me.

Skip62
11-16-2013, 08:27 AM
i would be more worried about the powder coat leaving a bad taste in the thanksgiving turkey than any lead contamination. My wife would kill me long before any lead would hurt me.

roflmao +1

popper
11-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Once cured, the PC isn't supposed to have any health affects. Can't be worse than trany gue or STP.

Digger
11-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Once cured, the PC isn't supposed to have any health affects. Can't be worse than trany gue or STP.

Could we convince the "condor crowd" in Cali of that ?

HiVelocity
11-17-2013, 12:05 AM
I bought a toaster oven for $20 at Wal-Mart; complete with timer and temp to 450 degrees, works great. I tried the "shake and bake" method and it just didn't work, all it did was make a big mess. I then went back to the acetone/PC mix. I decided the best way to attack this idea was to bite the bullet one time and buy the PC gun on E-Bay. Nate, great guy to do business with, even provides his e-mail address and notes he has lots of parts and supplies for the guns he sells. I picked up a box of Non-stick aluminum foil today, now I'm ready to rock. (Hey, everybody has to have a vice......lol!)

HV

wrench
11-17-2013, 12:42 AM
Ok, ok, you talked me out of it. Now on the prowl for an oven...

xacex
11-17-2013, 12:47 AM
Vise? This one is seriously cutting into my beer brewing. I haven't keg'd beer for 6 months, and the bottle are piling up!

xyankeeworkshop
11-19-2013, 12:11 PM
When are we going to see the "Custom Powdercoated Beer Kegs" thread?