PDA

View Full Version : Ballisticast Mark II or Magma Mark 8?

creature
11-15-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm thinking about investing in one of these two machines and starting a small bullet casting business. I'm leaning towards the Ballisticast as it cranks out 1000 more an hour and it looks more robust. Not shortchanging Magma at all, I've been using the lube-sizer for a while and it's great.

I just wanted to get your guy's opinion about the two.

ReloaderFred
11-15-2013, 11:59 PM
From what I've heard recently, Ballisti-cast is down to about a one man operation, and there isn't much coming out of their shop. Some others on this board are in direct contact with them, and I hope they'll update the situation.

Before you invest a lot of money, be advised you'll need at least a Class 06 FFL, and register with the U.S. State Dept. for ITAR, which is around $2500 per year +/-. We're waiting for our ITAR registration now.......

Hope this helps.

Fred

creature
11-16-2013, 03:08 AM
Before you invest a lot of money, be advised you'll need at least a Class 06 FFL, and register with the U.S. State Dept. for ITAR, which is around $2500 per year +/-. We're waiting for our ITAR registration now.......

Fred

FOR WHAT!? Selling chunks of lead? This government is out of control.

I appreciate the information. I can't believe you need a FFL for making projectiles. That's ridiculous.

Moonman
11-16-2013, 08:14 AM
creature,

Maybe you can't believe it, but the ATF, The State Dept/ITAR are REAL.

Technically, YOU can't even PRODUCE and GIVE some PROJECTILES to a FRIEND

without a FFL license (O6).

READ THE REGULATIONS, they consider ALL COMPONENTS to be AMMO PRODUCTION,

Not just COMPLETE ROUNDS.

The ATF takes their job quite seriously, they even watch for people SELLING TOO MUCH STUFF,

Even if you're LIQUIDATING, they're interested if PROFIT IS PRODUCED and hence a business exists.

You never know just where AGENTS could be operating.

The FAMILY FEUD at BALLISTI-CAST is just a total shame, GOOD ITEMS are not coming to the marketplace.

HATCH
11-16-2013, 10:30 AM
If you do get past the whole gov.part and are still considering making a go i will make this suggestion.

Magma has been around for a while and still supports their products old and new. Even when they are busy that are able to get spare parts out quickly.

Balisticast makes a great product but if your machine breaks are you going to be able to get spare parts??

Blackhawk Convertable
11-30-2013, 01:02 AM
I sent an e-mail to Ballisticast a few months ago about getting some new toggles switches for my unit. Never received a return e-mail...

RoGrrr
11-30-2013, 01:09 AM
I sent an e-mail to Ballisticast a few months ago about getting some new toggles switches for my unit. Never received a return e-mail...

I'm just wondering why you need THEIR toggle switches. It's either ON or it's OFF. If a switch fits the hole, use it. If it doesn't fit the hole, MAKE IT FIT !

6bg6ga
11-30-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm just wondering why you need THEIR toggle switches. It's either ON or it's OFF. If a switch fits the hole, use it. If it doesn't fit the hole, MAKE IT FIT !

I will mention that just any old switch will not work. The switch needs to be the same rating amperage wise. Is it single pole single throw, single pole double throw, double pole single throw, or double pole double throw? Is it something else? Quad pole ? There are a lot of options available when it comes to switches. If you care to send me a picture I will give you part numbers and suppliers so that you may purchase a reliable switch replacement.

With respect to the thread Mark II or MArk 8? Once again we have those that prefer one specific machine and the classic mud throwing tactics. I cannot comment for Ballisti-cast to tell you how many workers they have on staff and I seriously doubt if anyone else here on this forum is employed there or could comment with reliable information on their staffing. I would suggest that instead of starting a thread to line up those that are pro Magma or pro Ballisti-Cast that you simply watch the videos on each machine and make up your mind. The telephone might be used to see if communication to Ballisti-Cast can be made and a answer be had.

RoGrrr
11-30-2013, 11:15 AM
I will mention that just any old switch will not work. The switch needs to be the same rating amperage wise. Is it single pole single throw, single pole double throw, double pole single throw, or double pole double throw? <snip>

6BG
I agree with you on this point. I forgot that not all on the forum have the electrical/electronic background I have. So what is so simple for me might not be for someone else. My apologies for that one.

Blackhawk Convertable
I would take the switch to an electronics store like Radio Shack and seek their advice on a replacement. The equipment need not be down for long while waiting on a response from BC. Yes, think it is poor for BC to not respond to a query, no matter what their workload situation is. It's only good business and good public relations. All (good) businessmen know that.

Along these lines, take a closeup pic of your switch (2 pics - one front panel and one from the back side showing how the wires are hooked to it. Tell us what the switch controls, too) and post it here and we should be able to give you some valid info on it. It's probably no more than a 15 amp single pole, single throw switch that you can get at RS for under $10. Heck, I might even have in the drawer one I could send you.

6bg6ga
11-30-2013, 11:31 AM
I would buy from Mouser or Allied or even MCM electronics but not from Rat Shack. The general Rat Shack employees cannot tell the difference between a door knob and a Op Amp.

6bg6ga
11-30-2013, 11:34 AM
With respect to the post... check out Ballisti-Casts website and I believe you will find a video on the Mark II machine. I do know they are sending these out the door. Maybe their goal is to tackle the heavy casting business and let magma have us little guys.

6bg6ga
11-30-2013, 11:37 AM
6BG
I agree with you on this point. I forgot that not all on the forum have the electrical/electronic background I have. So what is so simple for me might not be for someone else. My apologies for that one.

Blackhawk Convertable
I would take the switch to an electronics store like Radio Shack and seek their advice on a replacement. The equipment need not be down for long while waiting on a response from BC. Yes, think it is poor for BC to not respond to a query, no matter what their workload situation is. It's only good business and good public relations. All (good) businessmen know that.

Along these lines, take a closeup pic of your switch (2 pics - one front panel and one from the back side showing how the wires are hooked to it. Tell us what the switch controls, too) and post it here and we should be able to give you some valid info on it. It's probably no more than a 15 amp single pole, single throw switch that you can get at RS for under $10. Heck, I might even have in the drawer one I could send you.

Generally these control systems that both Magma and Ballisti-Cast use are extremely basic and suffer from stupidity. They haven't learned how to use a decent control for their products. I actually like both companies products but their control is still in the stone age as far as development and practicality goes.

RoGrrr
11-30-2013, 12:47 PM
6bg
Most of the people here aren't familiar with Mouser/Allied/MCM but everybody knows where the rat craps are so I thought I'd throw that out. Yes, the kids aren't educated in what they're selling when it comes to components but sometimes you get lucky and find a salesman who actually knows what a switch "looks like".
I haven't seen a new Magma so I don't know how far they've come with respect to controls. I have a MK II that was ok for that era but I'm updating with PIDs and SSRs. My pour timer will allow me to control the interval to within 0.01 seconds, not that I need that much accuracy. All my switches will be industrial grade and wiring will be quality with staked on connectors. I do like Hatch's brother's controls but at this point I'm not going with PLCs. Eventually I might set up a laptop to run things but since I don't even have one for personal use, that's a long way off.
The other thing that bothers me is how the overbearing govt is into all our business. ITAR for 45 caliber lead slugs ?!? I have this monster machine that will supply a business and I won't be using it to even one percent of its capabilities. Needless to say, I hate our government and how it's so overbearing. But I'm preaching to the choir, right ?

HATCH
12-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Generally speaking most switches are rated about the same for the identically looking ones.

Its not common practice to switch high current loads with a toggle switch. Most designs use the toggle switch to control the coil of a heavy duty relay.
And if the toggle is switching the load directly I wouldn't guess it would be more then ten amps.

For the most part i use a pilot relay for safety reasons.
On the current panel i am building for fox i am switching the main power using a toggle only. This is because its only 2 amps and only 110v ac.

In an application that deals with high voltage (for me its anything over 110v) they will use a pilot relay has you do not want HV on the front panel.

6bg6ga
12-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Generally speaking most switches are rated about the same for the identically looking ones.

Its not common practice to switch high current loads with a toggle switch. Most designs use the toggle switch to control the coil of a heavy duty relay.
And if the toggle is switching the load directly I wouldn't guess it would be more then ten amps.

For the most part i use a pilot relay for safety reasons.
On the current panel i am building for fox i am switching the main power using a toggle only. This is because its only 2 amps and only 110v ac.

In an application that deals with high voltage (for me its anything over 110v) they will use a pilot relay has you do not want HV on the front panel.

My point exactly when I pointed out that the control these two companies use is still in the stone age.

6bg6ga
12-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Hatch,

Since I like relays over toggle switches I would probably use a toggle switch to turn on a relay but then again thats just me. Low voltage and low current thru the toggle equates to longer life. Now all you have to worry about is the mechanical breakage of the toggle switch. I seem to like push button switches to activate relays in primitive control.

Blackhawk Convertable
12-05-2013, 06:19 PM
FWIW - The toggles are single pull/single throw. Manufactured by McGill. The kicker is that it has a built-in light and the whole thing is pretty much plastic. My electrician went to the local vender, Viking Electric. They found the replacement for like $35 each. I ended up replacing 3 of the 4 with some metal single pull/double throw that I had around without the light. Up is on. Middle is off. And Down is nothing.

My point was that I couldn't even get the courtesy of a return e-mail from Ballisticast when I have one of their $10,000 machines. Trying to call on the phone is an exercise in futility. If I was to buy another, I'd get a Magma and never look back. A product is only as good as it's service...

HATCH
12-05-2013, 06:29 PM
I am sure radioshack had something that would work.

Blackhawk's post is a prime example while you should by a Magma made product.....