PDA

View Full Version : The Prudent Man's 22 long rifle prep

Baron von Trollwhack
11-15-2013, 05:54 PM
I do not believe 22 LR cartridges will return to their normal availability and prices in the long run. I am aready using greendot and the cheapest 40-55 grain j-words to duplicate 22M velocity with much better accuracy in 222R and223R, and of course some much faster loads with accuracy.

I've started work toward 22 LR SV and subsonic speeds using cast cast boolits in the Hornet. Casting the 225438 at 42 grains moderately hard with a GC and working down to lower velocity from things such as Lyman's published loads I've had initial good luck @25 yards at both levels. Just install the GC and size it and the lowest drive band, with a very light wash of thinned Lee alox applied later. Bullet length set to feed from the mag and to lightly engrave on chambering. Accuracy is running 1/2 " @ 25 yards. That is gray squirrel head shot accuracy. I use a 77/ 22H, with a Shilen 1/14 heavy barrel. I don't mix case brands(capacity differences) and trim for a standard length among cases. CCI 500 pistol primers. No crimp in bullets.

I am using UNIVERSAL clays at 2.5 for SV and 2.0 for the subsonic. 1.5 grains seems to be a bit less than 22 short velocity guessing from trajectory drops, but still squirrel accuracy. Ignition is good with out regard to up or down powder position. Later I will transition to dropping the GC, and softening the alloy. The subsonic is shooting the best and quietest of the first two and powder charge refinement next by tenths will improve the loads. If you have a bit of tooling, and enough mild primers and a pound or two of powder, you could subsistence hunt or shoot 22 CF/LR for a "while" and avoid the crazy prices.

Larry Gibson
11-15-2013, 06:01 PM
I use 2.2 gr Bullseye under the same 225438 for right at 1050 fps out of my XTR M70 and Contender Carbine 223's. I cast them out of 40-1 or 30-1 lead - tin and they shoot 1" at 50 yards which is pretty close to most .22LR stuff......close enough for squirrels, grouse, rabbits and miscellany plinking targets.

Larry Gibson

osteodoc08
11-15-2013, 06:09 PM
What's a man to use if not allowed by hunting regs? In GA the verbiage is any 22cal rimfire or smaller....

Of course there is always shotgun.

MarkP
11-15-2013, 06:44 PM
225107 HP & Red Dot in my Hornet. Also like the Hornady 45 gr Bee bullet (baby XTP style)

35remington
11-15-2013, 07:39 PM
My only comment from extensive use is the 225438 kills poorly with other than head shots at 22 long rifle duplication speeds, especially subsonic speeds. It deforms very little on small game, seems to transmit little impact and the tree rats move a ways after hits. In my use anyway, so take it for what you deem it to be worth contrasted with your own (hopefully previous) experience.

Suggest a flatpoint in 22 or a larger 25-20 or 32-20 bullet for such use. Or flatpoint the 225438 to some degree with sizing bump to duplicate or exceed SGB type meplat. Further, accuracy needs to be first rate with such loads, and quite frankly I'd prefer 3/4 inch at 50 if the load allows it.......and the fast powders in the Hornet are challenged to obtain such 50 yard accuracy for me when very light charges are used. No 1 1/2 inch groups at 50 need apply, as that's getting scattergun like with a bullet that doesn't have much kill margin and relies on shot placement for its primary effect. Trouble is, 3/4 inch at 50 is very very difficult to achieve with the Hornets and K Hornets using subsonic fast powder loads. So settle for 1 inch and absolutely no less.

Accuracy and effect much better as a combo than separately. Need both for subsonic cast Hornet loads to work. If such is not achievable give me a 25-20 or 32-20 please.

Like Larry I will suggest Bullseye, as for whatever reason Titegroup, while admirably fairly position insensitive at just subsonic velocities has averaged somewhat larger groups. This could be an "averages" thing but there you have it. Metering in small charges using Bullseye if dropped through a measure is better than the alternative larger flake powders which should not be considered in the tiny 2 grain charges in most measures. These should be weighed instead due to problematic metering in cavities ill suited to dispense then when speaking of many powder measures offered to handloaders.

2AMMD
11-15-2013, 08:25 PM
I have given up on .22 availability. Plan on working up loads in 223 that equal 22lr. InSon's AR. Just need powder that is not position sensitive.Would appreciate advice

Outpost75
11-15-2013, 08:46 PM
While not legal everywhere, I have had wonderful results hunting small game with a light rook rifle which John Taylor relined for me from .255 Rook to .32 S&W Long. Using Fiocchi wadcutters from its 25" barrel it isno louder than .22 Long CB or RWS Zimmerpatrone, but a much better killer than.22 LR with less meat damage than high velocity. 22 LR HPs.

I have a Remington 580 converted to. 32 ACP which is not quite as accurate as the. 32 Long, but pleasant and quiet.

Larry Gibson
11-15-2013, 09:08 PM
My only comment from extensive use is the 225438 kills poorly with other than head shots at 22 long rifle duplication speeds, especially subsonic speeds.

I cast them soft and HP them with the 1/16 Forster HP tool. They kill and expand as good as Standard velocity 22LRs.

Larry Gibson

Baron von Trollwhack
11-15-2013, 09:46 PM
My objective is rather limited in this work. Quiet and effective shooting of squirrels or similar, perhaps even larger game, with an readily assembled load of great thrift. I chose a bit slower powder like Universal as the faster powders seem to me to be harder to reduce in energy without being harder to work with ( as in measuring, weighing, results) in doing so. If this topic is helpful to some they are free to use any powder of their own whim. Clays seems to be working for me.

Most who shoot squirrels for game food know that LR solids are not the best for headshots on squirrels. They are usually instantly killed but do often flop about. HPs are a bit better, in that the nerve reactions are less. NO LR ammo at all is not very good at all for shooting squirrels. My efforts go to a substitute, that is effective and quiet, and practical. One can buy primers readily even now with a bit of diligence, but not much in the way the best of game use 22 LR SV or subsonic ammo. Want a job? figure out the cost of 2800 rounds of 22CF/LR home cast Hornet ammo using a pound of clays @2.0 grains per and the cheapest SR primers around now. Now that is cheap. Who can afford to shoot ELY subsonic HPs at $15.99 a box of 50 at tree squirrels ? Not much else is available just now. When ?

Grays are commonly taken in trees or on the ground at 25 yards or so. If the rest of my workup gets better, even longer range use is likely, and if you can reasonably take game with a 22 at 50 yards, then my cast loads will likely do the same by the time I finish. Surely Hornets with other parameters shoot very well at 100 yards or better with cast bullets. That is why Lyman keeps on selling moulds. No available factory ammo won't do anything. I set my own accuracy standards, others should do the same for themselves, whatever they make and whatever they shoot at.

BvT