PDA

View Full Version : Channeling my inner Bubba

Brett Ross
11-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Channeling my inner Bubba
First let me explain the reason for the Mod. I broke my right arm back when I was a kid, and lost most of the range of motion in my wrist. Now at 50 it has become worse. I can no longer get my hand around a rifle stock. My solution is to hold the rifle as it has a pistol grip. This is OK off the bench but rather disconcerting in the field. My solution for this coming deer season is below.

bhn22
11-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Hmmm... we need to check the "parts count" on that weepon.

aspangler
11-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Looks good to me. Hope it works well for you.

Jack Stanley
11-15-2013, 05:45 PM
As long as it keeps you out shooting instead of playing golf it looks like a great idea to me .

Jack

Brett Ross
11-15-2013, 05:45 PM
I was going to make the grip out of wood, but my was given this one.

RugerFan
11-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Looks good. Let us know if you get a deer with it.

Brett Ross
11-15-2013, 08:40 PM
I have not shot a deer in over 20 years, but my brother and I were talked into to hunting a late center fire season by our sons. I do not really care if i shoot one ( if I do not shoot one I don't have to field dress it) but would love for my son too.

winchester85
11-15-2013, 09:50 PM
i have a few extra pistol grips like that i you need another one.

Brett Ross
11-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Shot it today. Feels good and points better. I held a pie plate sized group, standing, at 100 yds and hit the gong 3 out of 5, at 200.

Shooter6br
11-16-2013, 07:54 PM
In California that may turn it into an "Assault" weapon .............Just kidding ( I think) Keep on Keepin on

Bzcraig
11-16-2013, 09:14 PM
As long as you are able to shoot it well and enjoy the time spent with it.......let bubba keep workin!

badge176
11-20-2013, 11:04 AM
That's less "Bubba" and more "MacGyver". Bubba woulda drilled a hole and put in a chunk of PVC pipe! Good luck to you and your son, I hope that YOU shoot the Deer and HE gets to dress/ drag it!

Skipper
11-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Bubba done good!

Multigunner
11-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Channeling my inner Bubba
First let me explain the reason for the Mod. I broke my right arm back when I was a kid, and lost most of the range of motion in my wrist. Now at 50 it has become worse. I can no longer get my hand around a rifle stock. My solution is to hold the rifle as it has a pistol grip.
I've had a similar problem with my left arm.
When it was really bad I had to brace my left arm by looping a belt between under arm and wrist and hold the fore end in the V of thumb and fore finger.
I used to remove the fore end of my No.4 to lighten it and hold it by the magazine.
The problem hasn't gone away entirely but a fall while trimming a tree caused a green stick type fracture and as it healed the arm straightened out and I got more movement in the wrist.
Some times re breaking and resetting can improve this sort of injury, but I doubt they'd recommend it at your present age.

You should look into custom MN stocks made in Finland. They dovetail extra wood to the military stock and shape it as they want it.
A thumbhole stock might be just what you need.

merlin101
11-20-2013, 07:55 PM
In California that may turn it into an "Assault" weapon .............Just kidding ( I think) Keep on Keepin on

I was thinking the same only NY. Those evil pistol grips ya know.

Glad you can keep doing what ya love!

Brett Ross
11-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. Now I need to decide if I want to add a scout scope or just use the opens. I still can see the opens good enough and feel comfortable shooting out too what I feel may be the effective range of the round, lee C338-220-1R in front of 17g of 2400. I’m thinking of limiting myself to 100 yard shots. I do not own a crono yet, and I'm not sure of the rounds vol. It is still accurate at 200, but I'm not sure how much killing power is left, at that range. I may put this over in the hunting section and see what opinions I come up with there. Winchester 85 what you have to have out of you grips? I would never think about doing something like this to my 03a3, K31, Beaumount or Vetterli, but would have no problem doing it to my 91/30 or Chinese SKS. I do think I will go about it differently next time and make the grip removable, but I am very happy with the way this turned out.

303Guy
11-22-2013, 10:51 PM
I like a scope but I also like the plain-ness and simplicity of open sights. The scope does break the cheek to stock weld but I overcame that by going with high scope mounts so I can weld my chin to the comb and keep my head up straight. Not so good for high recoil rifles cause there's nothing to stop the scope from smacking one in the eyeball! The scope does give clarity to the target and any in-between obstructions and work way better in low light plus target identification is way better. Long eye relief scopes are a good compromise but are expensive. Hard choice!