PDA

View Full Version : Savage 24V stock repair

timspawn
11-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Just picked up a Savage 24V Series D and the stock is split at the wrist. Nearly every one I have seen has been split there. I was thinking of using epoxy to fix the splits and then fiberglassing over that. I know it wont be pretty but it should hold up....maybe...any thoughts?

Mk42gunner
11-16-2013, 12:38 AM
I like to make invisible repairs if possible.

If your split is vertical and just cracked, not totally separated, here is what I would do: First clean all the oil from the stock, you need clean wood to make a good bond. Then use a slow curing epoxy with at least a thirty minute handling time.

Mask off the stock except where it is cracked, then carefully spread the crack so the epoxy can run into the space between the wood.

If you have a low pressure blow gun use it to force the glue farther into the crack. Once you have the crack filled with epoxy, take your wedge out and clamp or wrap the cracked area with either surgical tubing or strips cut from an inner tube.

Clean up what you can of the excess epoxy before it cures, but there will be some that you will have to get later. If it is just a slight crack, you may not even have to try color matching the epoxy to the wood. Refinish the stock if necessary.

Reinforcing pins should not be needed as long as the stock is still in one piece. I would go ahead and glass bed the stock to the action to help prevent it splitting again.

Robert

timspawn
11-16-2013, 05:38 PM
I did all that you suggested last night. I don't have any bedding compound but will order some.

Thanks

AZ Pete
11-17-2013, 10:42 PM
I did all that you suggested last night. I don't have any bedding compound but will order some.

Thanks

Good idea on the bedding, chances are that the stock split because it wasn't inletted properly in the first place.

mikeym1a
11-18-2013, 12:01 AM
I have noticed quite a few stocks on fleabay that are cracked, and most of them did not have a recoil lug in the stock. Is this the reason these stocks split? mike

timspawn
11-18-2013, 11:11 AM
I think they split because of the lack of proper fitting. The sides of the where the splits happen touch the receiver but there is usually a gap at the upper and lower tang.

flounderman
11-18-2013, 11:59 AM
If the sides of the tang are a tight fit, moisture causes the wood to swell and cracks the stock. Just because a stock is finished on the outside, doesn't mean it can't draw moisture and swell. The inside of the stock and under the buttplate need to be finished and it is hard to do with a thrubolt type butt stock. the rear of the tang area shouldn't be too tight or recoil can force it into the wood. The receiver area where it mates to the stock should absorb the recoil. If you bed the sides of the tang too tight you are inviting it to open the wood when it swells. I would definately use a waterproof stock finish on the inside areas around and inside the receiver end of the stock. Linseed oil is not waterproof.

Ben
11-18-2013, 01:49 PM
flounderman

Is there a waterproof finish ?

I've always been told that there is no such thing as a waterproof finish.

azrednek
11-18-2013, 02:07 PM
flounderman

Is there a waterproof finish ?

I've always been told that there is no such thing as a waterproof finish.

Same thing I've been told, better said as "water resistant finish".

leadman
11-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Marine urethane works great to waterproof the wood as much as it can be. Started using it in Michigan as it seemed to either be raining or snowing when I had a chance to hunt.
Boyd's does list a stock for the 24s, but since there are different models if one is needed a call would be in order. I have an old 24D in 22mag over 20 gauge.

KCSO
11-18-2013, 04:50 PM
The 24's recoiled against the cheek pieces and the back of the tang IF they were inletted 100%. Unfortunately most wern't and they cracked. I like to glass bed front and back and if the stock was cracked really bad I ream out the stock through bolt hole and glass bed in a brass tube for extra support.

TCLouis
11-18-2013, 10:19 PM
I bought one years ago.

Stock was split at the wrist.

I think I see a trend here.

48 bucks to GPC and I ended up with a real walnut buttstock with high comb.

I never shot it after fitting the stock, but surely 222 or 20 gauge did not split the stock. They must have improperly fitted from the factory.