PDA

View Full Version : Third Deer for the 35

northmn
11-15-2013, 02:21 PM
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/Buck%202011/004_zps59f1c219.jpg (http://s550.photobucket.com/user/Davidpeck16/media/Buck%202011/004_zps59f1c219.jpg.html)
Thought I would share. While not with cast, I got this little spike/forkhorn with my old 35. Third deer with the rifle that was made about the time I was born (for some of you younger members, rifles did use cartridges back then) He's not wall hanger but very tasty. Seen a lot of empty fields and woods since I got him so I appreciate him a lot more now than when I shot him. A lesson learned for me, to appreciate the gifts given.

DP

square butte
11-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Looks like some good eat'n to me.

ajjohns
11-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Good job! Been a little slow couple hours north of you in Roseau. Hopefully by tonight I'll be done.

helice
11-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Its good to be thankful for a filled tag. I have too many tags that represent hunts where I saw nothing but beautiful country and air that I could see through. Minnesota is so beautiful. Hunting Minnesota must be a dream come true.

robroy
11-15-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm still looking for that recipe for antler stew. Can't seem to find it

Baron von Trollwhack
11-15-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm still looking for that recipe for antler stew. Can't seem to find it

First, get yourself an antlered deer........

BvT

OverMax
11-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Not quite a spike or fork there. {I can tell by his snout He's no fawn or yearling. He's older than you may think he is.} This is a excellent deer to cull. Believe me. You don't want this type of buck breeding doe's in your area.
I hunted zone 177. We did OK over this way. 2 for 2 in 2-days. Wolves are doing even better.

TXGunNut
11-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Yes, looks like a mature spike. Better in the freezer than in the gene pool.

northmn
11-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Its good to be thankful for a filled tag. I have too many tags that represent hunts where I saw nothing but beautiful country and air that I could see through. Minnesota is so beautiful. Hunting Minnesota must be a dream come true.
One thing about MN is that it is said that you can appreciate all 4 seasons, summer, fall, winter and spring, sometimes in one day. The newer clothing offerings are a blessing compared to what I used to have to wear in the colder weather.
Have a friend I grew up with that grew up on deer, claims he was 16 before he tasted beef. He now lets the bigs one walk as he compares them to prime bulls for a cow herd. As I get older I think he may have something there. I am also getting too darn old to drag the real big ones out.

DP

izzyjoe
11-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Good job on you're little buck, those 35's will never go out of style!

M-Tecs
11-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Hunting Minnesota must be a dream come true.

It was until the tree huggers let the wolves get out of control.

TXGunNut
11-17-2013, 12:54 AM
...Have a friend I grew up with that grew up on deer, claims he was 16 before he tasted beef. He now lets the bigs one walk as he compares them to prime bulls for a cow herd. As I get older I think he may have something there. I am also getting too darn old to drag the real big ones out.

DP

I get to hunt on my brother's lease as a guest. Paid members get the trophies, I get to cull spikes and dry does and I'm encouraged to shoot every pig I want, even ones I don't want. That certainly works for me, I've spent all I care to with taxidermists....unless I happen to shoot a good specimen of a javelina. One would look good with my boar mounts. ;-)

bandit7.5
11-17-2013, 03:31 AM
First, get yourself an antlered deer........

BvT
Then find a knife maker with pockets full of cash