PDA

View Full Version : Contender Issue

John Allen
11-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Guys, I got a weird one and figured I would ask if anyone else had an issue like this before I start tearing things apart. I recently got another Contender frame.

The Problem is that when I put my barrels on it will not fully open. It is an easy open frame. When you pull it to open it opens about a 1/4 of the way and then stops. If I have the barrel stock of and push the extractor actuator a little it opens. The extractor actuator hits on the front of the frame to open it. If I push on the actuator it will open no problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks John

captbligh
11-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Take a look at the front of the trigger guard when you pull the guard to open the barrel. One of my older forearms would contact the front of the guard as the guard pivots down. An older frame that I've got pivots differently and the forearms doesn't contact the guard.

John Allen
11-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Take a look at the front of the trigger guard when you pull the guard to open the barrel. One of my older forearms would contact the front of the guard as the guard pivots down. An older frame that I've got pivots differently and the forearms doesn't contact the guard.

I thought of that myself but I took the forearm off and it still would stick.

paul h
11-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Is it an older non-easy open barrel? The older barrels need to have their locking lugs replaced to work on the newer frames. T/C used to send you replacement lugs for free. I had them send me several sets years ago to convert some older barrels to work on my easy open frame.

But typically with the older barrels, they won't open at all.

John Allen
11-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Paul, I got to check that tonight and see.

paul h
11-15-2013, 06:26 PM
As I recall (I sold my contender years ago) the old style barrels have a one piece locking lug, the new style have a two piece lug.

John Allen
11-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Ok, I checked I have the two piece lugs on everything and that is not the problem. The one thing that I am not familiar with and I guess could be causing the problem is firing pin bushing does move back and forth when opening and closing is this normal?

John Allen
11-16-2013, 05:01 PM
ok, I fixed it. Get this the firing pin bushing had unscrewed about a 1/2 to full turn. This allowed the bushing to stick out just a little bit. It then kept the extractor actuator from moving the millimeter or two that was required for the extractor to clear the face. I tightened the bushing up and everything functions great. I posted this in case others might have the problem.

Artful
11-17-2013, 12:21 AM
Excellent - thanks for sharing

canyon-ghost
11-17-2013, 01:09 AM
Ah, yes, that bushing is supposed to be flush or just under the surface it's mounted in.

ubetcha
11-17-2013, 09:09 AM
I just purchased a new 357mag bbl and had it mounted on my old style frame(only one I have at this time) and did notice that when the locking lug moved across the firing pin bushing, I saw slight movement of the bushing. Did not have a problem of any sort, but tightened it up though. Took it apart and clean everything up before reassembly.

TCLouis
11-18-2013, 10:25 PM
I gotta try that. Mine is fairly new easy open frame(selector on top of hammer) that I have to disassemble to "easy open".
I have never ben able to see the interference, but it is there and with several different barrels.

It was supposed to be available to launch RD 165 BOOLITS outa my 30-30 barrel

John Allen
11-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Well, it looks like I am not the only one who might have had this problem. I guess misery loves company.