PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder holster for SBH

mattd
11-14-2013, 11:01 PM
I like to take my SBH deer hunting as a tool of opportunity. I have my rifle with me, but if the right shot presented itself then I'd use the pistol. I have a drop loop belt/holster for it, but it bangs into everything....tree stand, rifle, anything. I was thinking a shoulder holster would put it in a much better position to protect it. Dosent have to be a quick draw thing. Is a shoulder holster a realistic solution for a 7.5" barrel?

22 rifle
11-14-2013, 11:39 PM
just got one for a 8 3/8 in s and w.it's a tanker shoulder holster made by el paso saddelry,quality is great and i'm real happy with it.only problem is it took 2 1/2 months to get because they are made to order and the oboma gun craze is still on even with holsters.i did have a safariland shoulder holster that worked real well for a sbh that i had but foolshilly traded it off with the gun.still kicking myself for that one!the shoulder holsters keep your gun from hitting everything and you can keep the gun covered by a coat to protect it from the weather.

454PB
11-15-2013, 12:15 AM
When I was younger and tougher, I carried a Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum with a 7 1/2" barrel in a shoulder holster, and had sore ribs most of the time.

Lefty SRH
11-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Look at a chest rig also. They are very comfortable. I have two made by Diamond D Leather out of Alaska. I use them to carry my 7 1/2" SBH and 9 1/2" SRH

redneckdan
11-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Look at a chest rig also. They are very comfortable. I have two made by Diamond D Leather out of Alaska. I use them to carry my 7 1/2" SBH and 9 1/2" SRH

I am a big fan of Wes Daems chest rig. I have one for my 4 5/8" flat top. It works very well with a back pack. I was wearing it when I fell *** over tea kettle 500 vert on a ski trip in Utah. I did not lose the gun.

Wayne Smith
11-15-2013, 01:25 PM
I have a Bianchi that I picked up years ago in a LGS barrel for $5.00! It was made for the S&W with a 7.5" barrel but fits my SBH just fine. Both I and my best friend have worn it.

doghawg
11-15-2013, 09:10 PM
It isn't cheap but I'm really pleased with the Wyoming combination holster for my 7 1/2" FA. Very comfortable and it stays put.
http://ringlercustomleather.com/id59.html

Snyd
11-18-2013, 03:10 AM
It isn't cheap but I'm really pleased with the Wyoming combination holster for my 7 1/2" FA. Very comfortable and it stays put.
http://ringlercustomleather.com/id59.html

X2 on the WyoCombo. There is a link on Ringlers page to a writeup I did when I got mine a few years ago. I've used it quite bit since then and it's a great rig.

contender1
11-18-2013, 10:45 AM
For a long barreled handgun, a cross chest design, PROPERLY made is the best way to go.
Many good makers out there.
Personally, I have one on order from www.barrantileather.com
Doc is one of the finest craftsmen you'll see in leather. His work isn't cheap, but I wore one of his NW Hunter rigs a few years ago. The most comfortable cross chest I've ever had on. And I already own two others.
If you want a shuck to ride the river with,, Mike Barranti is the man to see. I currently have 2 of his hip holsters & will buy more when I can.

ACrowe25
11-23-2013, 03:39 PM
I use the uncle mikes bandolier...

AlaskanGuy
11-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Better check these out before you buy anything... I use something like it for years as a fishing guide in alaska.. Keeps the gun accessable, confortable, safe, and out of the way...
http://grizzlytuff.com/products

Alaskan

Larry in MT
11-23-2013, 04:28 PM
I have the Uncle Mike's SH that I have carried my FlatTop 44 Special in from time to time. It's Okay, but not real comfortable when I'm doing chores. I usually don't use it. I'd like to try one of those chest models, though.

Snyd
11-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Only problem with chest holsters is you cannot pack binos and they get in the way of my fly vest.

AlaskanGuy
11-23-2013, 07:10 PM
I pack binos all the time with mine... And routinely carry mine under my fishing vest.... The best thing about it is, it stays close to me, and when i accidentally step into a hole while wading around in the river, unless it is over my chest, my gun stays dry. Been many times a hip holster would have been completely under water. And when i bend over to unhook or clean a fish, the gun stays put. I virtually live in the holster as a fishing guide for as much as 20 hours a day during the season, and it never rubs me the wrong way. You wont be sorry with that holster.

RED333
11-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Better check these out before you buy anything... I use something like it for years as a fishing guide in alaska.. Keeps the gun accessable, confortable, safe, and out of the way...
http://grizzlytuff.com/products

Alaskan

WOW even upside down it wont fall out.:lol:

scb
11-23-2013, 09:36 PM
+1 for the Diamond D Holsters Guides Choice. http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

GaryN
11-24-2013, 01:18 AM
I have an old Bianchi ex. large that I carry mine in. It works pretty good. It will come out of it if you have a hard fall. I see them for sale all the time on Fbay.

AlaskanGuy
11-24-2013, 01:36 AM
My only issue with the diamond d chest holster, is the weather, and it carries a bit low... Leather would never handle the weather that we get here, and it is stiff... They nylon version handles the weather well, and never gets soggy, and i dont have to wait for long times drying it out.... The nylon just handles he weather better.... If i lived in the desert, i would prolly still use the nylon, cuz it is softer and doesnt stiffen and cause holster marks.... But this is just me.... Different strokes for different folks...

AG

Skipper
11-24-2013, 01:51 AM
I use a Bianchi X15 with my SBH; works very well.