PDA

View Full Version : More AR questions

kbstenberg
11-14-2013, 10:59 PM
I'm getting serious about buying an AR kit and build it myself. But I have questions about barrel designations. I see terms like Government style, mid length, carbine, c.a.r., lite, medium barrels. Can someone give a description on the types of barrels.
Also I see stainless, molly coated barrels. What are most entry level barrels made from? Would a stainless barrel be 1 step above entry level? Kevin

NuJudge
11-15-2013, 12:52 AM
Before you buy anything, think about what you want to do with it. The distance between the sights on the A1 and A2 style rifles with the full length barrels is already much shorter than the M1 and M14, making consistent head positioning more important and accurate shooting with iron sights more difficult. The CAR15 and M4 carbines have shorter barrels than the A1 and A2 versions, some so short they need a barrel extension silver soldered or blind pinned on for legal length, and they have retractable stocks. Retractable stocks may be useful if you are wearing body armor sometimes, and sometimes not, and it makes for a smaller package when retracted. AR15 A1 barrels are all skinny, and the rear iron sights are difficult to adjust for wind, and elevation is adjusted at the front sight. AR15 A2 barrels are heavier than the A1, and have a rear iron adjustable for elevation & wind.

There is a lot of variation in the various civilian legal models touted as being like an M4. Most have a flat topped rear receiver, suitable for a red dot reflex sight, perhaps co-witnessing with back up iron sights (BUIS). The barrels frequently have an area of reduced diameter which government barrels have to allow mounting of a grenade launcher.

A mid length barrel would probably be referring to something in between A2 and M4 barrel lengths.

I have always believed in Chrome-Moly alloy steel barrels. Many people like Stainless and feel it is a step up, but unless blackened, it is bright, and that may not be something you want.

Jupiter7
11-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Govt, lite, bull, etc... All explain the actual profile of the barrel

Carbine, mid-length, pistol , rifle, etc... All explain length of gas system

For the easiest build, a carbine or mid-length gas system in a 16"-18" will be easier to build and keep running. Btw, m4 profile barrels have the cut in the barrel forward of gas block for mounting m203 grenade launcher, usually a very easy barrel to find and can be had new from $100 and up