PDA

View Full Version : Sailboat keel lead

rmark
11-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Do the bolts attaching the keel to the hull typically extend down into the keel or do they usually extend only a short distance down from the hull? I thought someone who has cut one up might know.

SciFiJim
11-15-2013, 02:18 AM
I've never cut one up, but I would assume that since the keel weight is not poured in place in the hull, the bolts would not extend all the way through the weight.

The only exception would be if the bolts were set into the keel weight mold before the lead was poured. If you can see the weight where the bolt enters it, does it look like it was poured with bolt in place or was the bolt screwed into the weight?

AlaskanGuy
11-15-2013, 02:21 AM
It happened both ways... Depends on the maker... Bolts usually went all the way through, unless it was cheaply made.... Depends also if is a fiberglass or a woodie.

Trapperscott
11-15-2013, 06:49 AM
I have found one that I'm thinking of buying. By measuring the size of the lead roughly, I think there is going to be around 2400 lbs of lead in it. I'm trying to figure out how to get it off of his trailer which he wants to keep, and to my house. I cant tear it down at his place, so I have to move it.

Once I get it home, I'm not worried about it. A chainsaw and cutting torch are going to be my tools of choice once it's home.

rmark
11-15-2013, 12:56 PM
'I have found one that I'm thinking of buying'

That's my neighbor. The problem is the 25' boat attached to it.

rmark
11-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Trapperscott I'm sending yo a pm.

Trapperscott
11-17-2013, 09:05 PM
rmark, we got the keel off of it this afternoon. The keel was poured around the bolts that held it to the boat. We sawed thru one of the bolts with a saws all, then we hooked a chain to it and hooked the other end to a truck to put a little bind on it for safety while we sawed thru the rest of it. When we pulled with the truck just a little bit, it broke the bolts out of the boat and fell to the ground. It wasn't that bad of a challenge. We sawed a hunk off of it that weighed 110 pounds for one of the owners brother in laws. I weighed the rest of it on certified scales, and it weighed exactly 2400 pounds. I missed it by 110 pounds on my calculations. Close enough I guess. LOL

So now that I have it on my trailer, I'm not sure how to get it in manageable size pieces to smelt down. Anyone have any suggestions?

SciFiJim
11-17-2013, 10:18 PM
So now that I have it on my trailer, I'm not sure how to get it in manageable size pieces to smelt down. Anyone have any suggestions?

if you can saw off one chunk, saw off more chunks in manageable sizes.

OnceFired
11-17-2013, 10:23 PM
2400 lbs is quite a score!

Trapperscott
11-17-2013, 11:00 PM
if you can saw off one chunk, saw off more chunks in manageable sizes.

Took a while to saw that one chunk off with a sawsall. Have to figure out a better way to cut it. Chainsaw maybe?

Trapperscott
11-17-2013, 11:01 PM
2400 lbs is quite a score!

Largest one to date for me. I have about that much in Wheel weights that I need to smelt down also. They are sorted, just need to take the time to smelt them down.

I need a bunch of ingot molds is what I need.

SciFiJim
11-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Took a while to saw that one chunk off with a sawsall. Have to figure out a better way to cut it. Chainsaw maybe?

A chainsaw would work, but depending on cross section, a circular saw with a course blade might be easier to use. Doing a little math, 2400 lbs of lead works out to a little over three cubic feet of lead. Is it long and skinny, short and round, long and flat?

Can you post a picture?

What ever you use, make sure to collect the "sawdust". It will be in lead shavings and is perfectly good lead.

mongoosesnipe
11-17-2013, 11:32 PM
It's probably worth getting the keel lead tested considering the quantity that you have you will want to know what your dealing with it could be and sort of alloy

AlaskanGuy
11-17-2013, 11:52 PM
I used a chop saw once I got things into more manageable chunks, also, if you are gunna do much of this sort of thing, get yourself a chainsaw chain that is designed for Ripping.. just ask for a ripping chain at your chainsaw shop.... tell them it is for making planks in an Alaskan sawmill, and they should give you the right thing.. this sort of chain doesn't make as much of a mess, and is designed for long cuts... doesn't heat up as much and will last a lot longer..... Definitely get it tested.. there is a guy here that will test it with an element gun if you send him a dome sized piece... surely worth it for that amount...

rmark
11-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Trapperscott, I saw you all working on it. I stopped by later but you had already left to run it across the scales. I've cut up a few lead bricks with a chainsaw, smaller pipe with a sawzall.