PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of this Scam?

Artful
11-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Cash back scam …

Beware…

Shopping Season...a reminder of things to come,

PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR RECEIPTS - THIS IS IMPORTANT
WITH THE CHRISTMAS SEASON COMING UP THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT. PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG!!!!!
CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING ANY CASHIER'S STATION!!!!!

THIS COULD HAPPEN ANYWHERE.

It happened at a Wal-Mart Supercenter a month ago.

From the sender:
I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150, & I glanced at my receipt as the
cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of $40. I told her I
didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the
$40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a supervisor.

Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it! I said NO! Taking the $40 would
be a cash advance against my Discover & I wasn't paying interest on the cash
advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the
whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & rescan
everything!

The second time I looked at the electronic tab before I signed & a cash-back
of $20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it.

The total came out right. the cashier agreed that the electronic pad must be
defective. (yeah, right!)

Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad wasn't defective because she
NEVER offered me the $40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many
people went through before me and at the end of her shift how much money
she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone. My coworker went to Milford, DE Wal-Mart last week.
She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and
didn't give her a receipt.

She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it
to her. My coworker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt
showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH
BACK!

My coworker called Wal-Mart who investigated but could not see the cashier
pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her
niece told her This is a new scam. The cashier will key in that you asked
for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in line.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or
debit cards!

This is NOT limited to Wal-Mart, although they are the largest retailer so
they have the most incidents.

I am adding to this.... My husband and I were in Wal-Mart North Salisbury
and paying with a credit card. When my husband went to sign the credit card
signer, he just happened to notice there was a $20 cash back added. He told
the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine
has been messing up and she canceled it. We didn't think anything of it until
we read this email.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one????

THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!!

BEFORE LEAVING THE CASHIER'S STATION!!!!! CHECK YOUR RECEIPT
BEFORE LEAVING THE STAND. I'VE SEEN PEOPLE DO JUST THAT. NOW
I'LL START!

PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS, KIDS, LOVED ONES

I never heard of this, anyone confirm or know of something similar?

btroj
11-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Since it is online I doubt there is much truth to it.

375RUGER
11-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Suspicious that it is happening so often to this person and everyone she knows.

btroj
11-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Only thing that could make it more unbelievable is if Obama was the source.

Gibbs44
11-14-2013, 10:26 PM
If it happened or not, still good to check receipts before leaving. Cashiers mess up sometimes especially around the busy shopping season.

kencha
11-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Old rumor/internet-lore. http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/cashback.asp

Retailers in general are more worried about employee theft than customer theft. Most, if not all, *** systems don't allow the cashier to initiate a cash-back request. It has to be done at the pin-pad, not the register.

leeggen
11-14-2013, 11:03 PM
They arrested a cashier in Cookeville a couple yr.ago that was doing that She was dumb enough to pocket the money and cam. caught her.
CD

starmac
11-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Snopes says it AIN"T so, so it must not be. gag

Has there ever been a bill that couldn't be counterfeited or a machine that couldn't be outsmarted, just pay attention anytime you take out a card.

Back when they brought all the vietnaimese over to this country, it wasn't long till they were either working at or bought out a large number of convenience stores in the houston area. Back then I never paid any attention to or counted the coins in my change when I paid for something. One time I noticed i was something like 7 cents short and mentioned it, I started paying attention and it would be 3 cents to 9 cents more often than not, there was never an problem, they would just hand me the change without even counting what I had, when I called them on it. I always wondered how much these few cents at a time accumulated over a years time with no one even noticing.

marlin39a
11-15-2013, 08:52 AM
When I pay with my debit card at Walmart, it asks if I want cash back. If I do, it confirms amount. I never heard of this scam. I am semi-retired and work part time at a Circle K store. We offer cash back. Customer has to approve it.

oldred
11-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Not this one AGAIN!!!!! When is this old story going to die? This one is getting right up there with the customer being bitten by a poisonous spider/small snake/etc found in an imported rug/towel/etc at Wal Mart (usually) and it's simply not true.

Sasquatch-1
11-15-2013, 09:27 AM
I could see this happening but as yet have never heard of anyone who has had it happen to them. I have known of cases where restaurant workers have double swiped a card and used it latter when another party came into the restaurant. A little harder now since the old swipe machines are almost extinct.

I have also heard that you should check the card that is returned to you. Rumors were circulating many years ago of clerks returning expired or stolen cards that looked like the ones just used and then using the new to run up large bills.

Even tho these might be urban legends it is the season of ill tidings by the thugs of the world. Like the old saying goes, "An ounce of prevention..."

Firebricker
11-15-2013, 10:09 AM
True or false this why I pay in cash ! I rarely use the debit card instead going to an atm first. FB

Trey45
11-15-2013, 10:15 AM
These stories always amaze me, how ONE person not only has something so outlandish happen to them not once but several times, but they also know others who it's happened to. Meanwhile no one else anywhere in the known galaxy has ever heard of such a thing. Seems to me the odds would have it happen at least once by accident to another person.

btroj
11-15-2013, 10:25 AM
This happened to me right after my daughter was poked by a needle at a Mcdonalds ball pit.

Wait, that was an email I got, sorry.

Three-Fifty-Seven
11-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Switzerland!

Sasquatch-1
11-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Not saying they are true or false, except the one I personally know about. But think about it for a minute. If this happened to a person in a particular area, wouldn't hold true that it probably happened to a significant amount of people in that area? And that one or two of these people may have been known to first person.

These stories always amaze me, how ONE person not only has something so outlandish happen to them not once but several times, but they also know others who it's happened to. Meanwhile no one else anywhere in the known galaxy has ever heard of such a thing. Seems to me the odds would have it happen at least once by accident to another person.

Garyshome
11-15-2013, 12:42 PM
You know that Nothing posted on line is true! Absolutely Nothing not even this post!

blackthorn
11-15-2013, 12:47 PM
True or not---better safe than sorry!! It is a good idea to check reciepts before leaving the till.

codgerville@zianet.com
11-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Cash back scam …

I never heard of this, anyone confirm or know of something similar?
Not only have I heard of it, it happened to me at the local Walmart. TWICE. Same checker. And, I wasn't the only one it happened to. Checker is no longer there.

sparky45
11-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Would you call that a "eye witness" account or just another wild rumor?

DeanWinchester
11-15-2013, 02:24 PM
If you pay with cash, this won't happen. Period.

Love Life
11-15-2013, 02:30 PM
The only scam I know of currently is Hornady 1 shot being labeled and sold as an adequate case lube.

codgerville@zianet.com
11-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Would you call that a "eye witness" account or just another wild rumor?

Not sure what you mean, but yes I saw it.

sparky45
11-15-2013, 03:15 PM
I was referring to the nay sayers who posted above your post.

sparky45
11-15-2013, 03:16 PM
The only scam I know of currently is Hornady 1 shot being labeled and sold as an adequate case lube.

I use it all the time and have never had any problems or stuck cases.

Love Life
11-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Congratulations.

Back on topic- Thanks for the heads up!!

btroj
11-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Scam? Scam?

Dang it, I was hungry and thought someone said Spam.

gbrown
11-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Go here to answer your question.

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/cashback.asp

sparky45
11-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Snopes isn't very reliable, at that's what I read on the internet.

shooter93
11-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Lots of scams out there so who knows.....but I do know as soon as my 35 million dollar check gets here from Nigeria I may retire.

Ehaver
11-15-2013, 06:52 PM
actualy, this happend locally a few years ago, the cashier would ring it up get cash back and pocket it or ring up a giftcard to hide the cash. needless to say she was arrested and tried and convicted.

Gelandangan
11-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Ok this never happened to me and I never heard that it has happened until today.

To me it does sounds plausible, specially in hardware or liquor stores where the customers are distracted by the open buttons above the cleavage of the serving girl.
Hmm.. must look for other place to stare..

bangerjim
11-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Just because you see it on snopes.com.....don't believe it is true....or false. Do your own research.

I have read that snopes is just a liberal left-wing guy and his wife in a basement in the Bay Area. Not a big org at all and tends to lean left.....a lot.

But again.....do not believe anything you read on line......even this !!!!!!!

HA.........ha.

banger

Blacksmith
11-16-2013, 12:53 AM
I'm old school and I mentally add up my bill while shopping, yes I'm old enough to do math in my head. I wont know the exact total if there are more than a few articles but if it was twenty dollars off my mental total it would trigger a line by line review of the entire receipt. I also watch the register as they are ringing up, to often the scan price doesn't match the shelf price. Tractor Supply is particularly bad about that and always in their favor.

Stephen Cohen
11-16-2013, 01:06 AM
I got scammed a year ago same way, checked receipt when I got home and rang store, sure enough the till was correct so I know where the money went. We all need to check our receipts before we leave checkout.

MTSWAGER
11-16-2013, 02:07 AM
I have not had the cash back thing bite me, I always pay with a check at walmart, they ask (for the amount only) every time, i never get cash back, However their have several times, while looking at my receipt i have found items that i was charged for twice........... Dont know if it was a scam, or if they were pocketing the money, but it was costing me. always look!!!!!!

oldred
11-16-2013, 07:58 AM
When I first heard this non-sense a couple of years ago I asked a friend of ours who is an assistant manager (Yep she really is!) at the Wal-Mart here and she just rolled her eyes at that one, she hears it all the time! She just said that although people will INSIST they know others personally that this has happened to or that they themselves have been scammed in that manner it just can't happen -not at a Wal-Mart anyway. She pointed out that there are many security features designed into the system and it's just about impossible for the checker to cheat either the customer or the store, this same security is standard on just about every system that deals with credit cards in this highly regulated industry. The manufacturers of the equipment, Government regulators, and most of all the credit card companies, are not stupid and they are well aware of the fact a lot of dishonest folks are going to have access to this equipment so the safeguards are built it. In the case of the Wal-Mart cashier pocketing a cash back on a customers card without the customer knowing, it just can't happen!

dragon813gt
11-16-2013, 08:13 AM
I don't know how this could happen. All the *** terminals, by me, require the buyer to select the cash back option. And I know I can't get cash back on any of my credit cards at the register. I could see where it could happen when the cashier had to enter all the info for you. But not now. And let's say it did happen. The people that didn't check their receipts and watch the tally as it was being checked out are to blame as well. I watch for double scans because most cashiers don't seem to care.

oldred
11-16-2013, 12:05 PM
The people that didn't check their receipts and watch the tally as it was being checked out are to blame as well.

That's another reason this is highly unlikely, while not all people check their receipts a heck of a lot of them do along with checking their credit card statements, this WOULD be caught often. It might be argued that it would be the customer's word against the employee's but if it happened more than once to the same employee the guilt would be obvious so he/she would be in big trouble and possibly facing jail time.

sparky45
11-16-2013, 02:52 PM
That's another reason this is highly unlikely, while not all people check their receipts a heck of a lot of them do along with checking their credit card statements, this WOULD be caught often. It might be argued that it would be the customer's word against the employee's but if it happened more than once to the same employee the guilt would be obvious so he/she would be in big trouble and possibly facing jail time.

And for the same reason, it seems highly likely it would happen. Not dealing with Rhodes Scholars here, lots of them would try it at least once.

oldred
11-16-2013, 03:05 PM
And for the same reason, it seems highly likely it would happen. Not dealing with Rhodes Scholars here, lots of them would try it at least once.

They would IF they could! They would have to be pretty darn savvy to figure out a way to do this and then it would be nearly impossible to get past the safe guards. The systems are set up with the consideration that thieves will be operating them and are so designed with that in mind so unless they can figure out a way to get the customer to unwittingly allow them to do this it's not likely at all.

TXGunNut
11-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Not saying it didn't happen, will never say it can't happen.

sparky45
11-17-2013, 03:58 PM

Well then, you probably believe the last presidential election was a fair election. By that I mean no fraud no manipulation of the electronic ballot box. Seems highly unlikely, doesn't it? Although, I would wager that there was gross fraud and manipulation of the electoral process, and by some fairly average people.