PDA

View Full Version : lee mould question

bk92
11-14-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm just getting into casting and I'm ordering two lee moulds.In the description it says the the moulds don't require sizing, is this true and if not what are the risks of not sizing and what sizing kit would i need for a 30/30. any help is very appreciated
Thanks to all who reply.

jonas302
11-14-2013, 08:37 PM
They don't absolutely need sizing it depends on what you want to do and what kind of rifle also
If your going to be making hunting loads your probably going to want to gas check which does require a sizer
To determine which sizer you would require its best to slug the bore and see how big it is to start with
If the bullet is to big to chamber you could run into problems but I really doubt that the lee mold will cast that large A lot is studying what others are doing and trail and error

11-14-2013, 08:50 PM
If it (first test dummy round) fits and functions, you are good to go. Lee's tumble lube moulds can really speed up & simplify the process.

bretNorCal
11-14-2013, 08:53 PM
I have a lee mould and it and it drops pure lead at what is written on the box. However if you change the alloy that will change (I have seen reports of 1-2% larger on my particular mould model number but I have not measured different alloys myself). If you powder coat that will change (duh you are adding material to the outside).

bk92
11-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks guys. i really just plan to target shoot for fun I'm not worried about tack driving accuracy i just wanted to make sure i wouldn't ruin my barrel or anything. I'm casting for a 45 colt peacemaker replica and a sears and roebuck 30/30 from the 60's and don't want to screw them up.