PDA

View Full Version : Odds n Ends: few more recovered components and some 20ga failures w pics

cpileri
11-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Well, since we are all reporting our failures in addition to our successes; I'll add to it. Mostly to the FAIL list.

I went out, trying to turn the Savage smoothebore single shot into a slug shooter. Still a work in progress, to be certain. I filed down the rear sight notch to get the POI down, but it still abt 8-12" high at 50yds. Groups w the round balls are not much to speak of (so no pictures of targets), and w THUG slugs and remiongton sluggers were a bit better- telling me that maybe round balls would not be this guns favorite diet.

I loaded the round balls as seen here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?217185-Ajay-Hogtamer-and-all-20ga-roundball-shooters-Target-loads-needed&p=2450182&viewfull=1#post2450182
and some variations including: adding malt-o-meal inder the ball, various roll and fold crimps.

Here are the recovered components:

I see the ball made a nice splat int Texas dirt and rocks. So that was somewhat encouraging. I also found a little strip of he mylar. not sure what to make of it except it looks really twisted. Next time, I might just force the hard card wad to fit INSIDE the mylar wrap and make the whole wrap longer, not a thin 0.5" strip. to act more like a wad cup and give it more room to still cover the equator of the ball after the setback which occurs during firing.

I just think a fullbore, but light slug drag stabilized by an attached wad or the slug skirt itself might work best w this gun. But I dont have much to go on, so I am still workign on it.

I also found a few 12ga components from last test of the "inspired" loads, as seen here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?217185-Ajay-Hogtamer-and-all-20ga-roundball-shooters-Target-loads-needed&p=2450182&viewfull=1#post2450182
will post the pics next.
C-

cpileri
11-14-2013, 05:46 PM
This pic is interesting: its from the 1043gr slug load, showing the X12X w the 3/32" cork still attached. The x12x is torn, so not sure if its blow thru from the powder, or was caught and torn from hitting the rifling crooked. Since the cork looks Ok, I suspect its the powder. Any thoughts?

Not that it matters alot, since the accuracy was good. Still, if it can be improved...
C-

cpileri
11-14-2013, 06:29 PM
A few bits of recovered slugs from the last 12ga shoot. A couple big lead slugs, a brenneke, and what's left of the DDupleks steel slug.

C-

jmort
11-14-2013, 06:43 PM
"Since the cork looks Ok, I suspect its the powder."

That makes the most sense. The recovered slug pictures are cool. Wish I could see the steel DDupleks a little better. I would think it would shed its "petals" and end up a bare naked core.

cpileri
11-14-2013, 06:57 PM
jmortimer,
the pic is sideways. The Ddupleks slug: steel part is what is left after it did shed its petals. the red plastic is the base wad of the slug. I couldnt find any petals.
I wonder if I can unload these and load them into 3.5" shells and do a good accuracy check...
C-