PDA

View Full Version : Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy of Range Scrap Lead

drfroglegs
11-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Well I've been wondering what kind of alloy I got from the 10-5 gallon buckets of range scrap I got from a local indoor range. I finally got around to running some energy dispersive x-ray spectroscopy on it and thought I would share the results (give back some knowledge for all I've received).

The results agree with the "I've heard.." in that it is almost pure lead (97.7 wt %). I did run the pencil test and it measured 3B. This has aged for about a year though, so I'm sure it's hardened quite a bit over time (I did not water drop them).

EDX Spectra

Element Weight%
Sn 1.49
Sb 0.83
Pb 97.67

Pictures of smelting/casting boolits from scrap:

If anyone wants to send me some "standards" for me to test that would be GREAT! I need about 1/4 the size of a dime to run the test (flat).

bretNorCal
11-14-2013, 01:41 PM
We need a usb dongle that can do this :D

btroj
11-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Interesting. The range scrap I have had tested tended to show 1percent antimony and around 1/4 percent tin.

cbrick
11-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Kinda wondering if much of that range scrap was from 22 rimfire? Maybe huh? Sure seems odd if there is much center fire jacketed in there.

Rick

drfroglegs
11-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Interesting. The range scrap I have had tested tended to show 1percent antimony and around 1/4 percent tin.

Do you still have any of the range scrap you had tested lying around? I'm not really sure what the accuracy or limit of detection is for the technique I used, it's definitely not the standard technique used to determine alloy ratios. I would be interested to compare to a known standard (done by a professional). I could send you a stamped envelope if you would be willing to send me a small sample back?

leadbutt
11-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Almost 2% of tin already. Nice.

L. Bottoms

btroj
11-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Do you still have any of the range scrap you had tested lying around? I'm not really sure what the accuracy or limit of detection is for the technique I used, it's definitely not the standard technique used to determine alloy ratios. I would be interested to compare to a known standard (done by a professional). I could send you a stamped envelope if you would be willing to send me a small sample back?

Let me know where to send a sample or two and they are on the way. PM you address and I will gladly pay postage.

How bog a sample? Does it need to be at all polished or just a blob as cast?

7Acres
11-17-2013, 03:47 PM
I love seeing a nice stack of lead ingots like you have there. Always makes me smile!

drfroglegs
11-17-2013, 06:13 PM
I went back and smelted my ingots again to make a couple of different batches that share a similar alloy concentration. In the attached picture I have 20 of 1 batch and 60 of the second batch. I labeled them by putting a sharp line through the L for batch one and the LE for batch 2. I'll analyze the 2 different batches this week and I'll know the exact concentration of my entire collection of alloy! Then I can adjust Sn/Sb if necessary later when I start casting for my 30-30!

Idz
11-18-2013, 07:58 PM
If you really want a USB system for XRF look at http://amptek.com/xrfkit.html

Something to remember in your testing is to file off the outer surface of your ingot so you don't get inaccurate fluorescence measurements caused by your alloys precipitating out at a different rate on the surface of the ingot.

great stuff!