PDA

View Full Version : unboxed my shiny new LE Wilson trimmer yesterday... my thoughts

Animal
11-14-2013, 09:58 AM
What a beautiful trimmer! My wife got it for me for my birthday. It has the stand, the micrometer adjustment and the shark fin hold down. I found that it is very easy to use once mounted to the work bench.

I did find that it cuts extremely consistency. I set my trimmer to cut 1.279 and it cut to that spec very consistently by .0005 as long as I maintained a consistent stroke (not applying more lateral pressure than needed).

I will fuss about the micrometer though. Unless I'm not understanding its markings it doesn't seem so accurate. What appears to be a .001 blade adjustment is really closer to .005. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also, I checked its consistency after taking it out of adjustment and then returning it to the same spec that I was previously using (1.279). It cut closer to 1.265. Hmmm

Now... I was thinking when I was shopping around for a good trimmer that the micrometer adjustment knob was probably not necessary as long as I had a good caliper and a shell to use as a gauge. So, I'm not feeling crippled by the imperfection that I experienced, but a bit disappointed.

I'm going to practice a little more and see if it is something I'm doing wrong.

Anyway, this tool is one attractive piece of equipment. The cuts are extremely clean, squared and consistent. It is such a nice piece of equipment that it makes everything else on my loading table look rather homely lol.

I like the shark fin hold down. I've tried trimming with and without the hold down and found that I struggled with consistency without the hold down. The hold down makes the process much friendlier on the body and on consistency... especially if the assembly is mounted to the table.

Just my thoughts... feel free contribute your experience with the Wilson.

novalty
11-14-2013, 04:16 PM
I love my L.E. Wilson trimmer with micometer adjuster. Mine must be an older model (like the one below), as it doens't have the shark fin design for the case holder, and has a different style micrometer adjustment than the models I have seen lately. It is a fantastic trimmer, while the primer pocket reamer does a good job, my arthritic hands can't take much of it.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjsnVTrx60FpMuVz4Bk9t0vek_fsrvp NY3oL3FwnYzjsmHVYKYLe1QU_C6RA

r1kk1
11-14-2013, 05:49 PM
I have the older model and use a cordless screwdriver to powder it.

I really like mine,

r1kk1

Char-Gar
11-14-2013, 06:04 PM
I have been using the same Wilson trimmer since 1960. A few months ago I sent the cutter back to be sharpened. Happy trimming!

Oh yes, I use calipers and/or a case to set the trimmer. I could never seen the sense in a micrometer gizmo.

enfieldphile
11-14-2013, 06:31 PM
I have 2 Wilsons. One w/ the Mircometer and one w/o. Both are on stands w/ hold-downs. Both are older units, perhaps 10 years old. The one w/ micrometer was a complete set up. The other was just the trimmer (I bought 'cuz I got a smokin' deal) and added a base. Like any tool, there is a learning curve. Once you get it figured out, they are amazing trimmers.

Animal
11-14-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm eating my words guys. This trimmer is spot-on accurate to the .0005. I tinkered with it a few minutes ago. I went back over the screws to make sure everything was tight. I measured a case, trimmed, measured, adjusted trimmer to next .001, trimmed and my case was an exact .001 shorter. So I took it in .004, and what would ya know??? an exact .004 shorter.

This trimmer is probably the coolest thing I own. Superb American craftsmanship that we were once known for and as accurate as can be measured.

Now, I really have to brag about my wife. She didn't think twice about getting it for me! To bad I only get one birthday each year lol

btroj
11-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Is like mine a bunch. So simple to use.

454PB
11-14-2013, 11:16 PM
The Wilson is the most consistent trimmer I own. Mine is probably 30 years old and has none of the fancy bells and whistles, but it is the "go to" trimmer. I clamp mine in my 6" bench vice.

bbqncigars
11-15-2013, 01:20 AM
The power drive adapter is a great hand saver to have for more than a few cases. The Wilson primer pocket reamer cutters are the absolute best thing I've found for removing primer crimps.

adrians
11-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Mine isn't a Wilson but looks just like it.

This is made by CH , were those two companies in cahoots cos there almost twins ?.

nicholst55
11-15-2013, 09:21 PM
As I understand it, the shark fin hold down is an innovation/addition from Sinclair. I don't think you can even get it straight from Wilson.

ackleyman
11-16-2013, 06:03 PM
I have been using mine since the early 80's, put an adaptor so that I could use a variable speed 1/2" drill on it, fast and accurate. My only regret was I wish mine were stainless.

EDG
11-17-2013, 01:28 AM
I have both the Forster and Wilson trimmers. I have been brutal to both.
I had a lot of bent rim (machine gun fired 30-06) cases from the 1950s. I used the Wilson to square up the case heads and dulled the cutter. I have used the Forster a lot more on hundreds of the same 30-06 cases to 8x57 and 7.65 Mauser and the cutter is still sharp.
If you have a lot of different cartridges it is less expensive to buy all the Forster collets. Both trimmers are very good and choice comes down to personal preference.

jgt
11-17-2013, 03:17 AM
I have a Forester but never could get it to cut any two cases to the same length. One Wilson has a sharp cutter but it will not cut at all and the other Wilson has a dull cutter. I ended up using lee hand trimmers and found them to be consistant.

enfieldphile
11-17-2013, 09:23 AM
IIRC, in the distant past (not available now), there was some outfit (not Wilson) selling carbide tipped cutters for the Wilson.

r1kk1
11-17-2013, 09:31 AM
CH4D and Wilson case trimmer bodies interchange. Wilson and Forster both sharpen cutters for a nominal fee. Not sure if CH4D offer the same service or not. I have sent three fired cases and they send me a case trimmer body for the cartridge.

Now I need a solution to hog away large amounts of material when doing 375 SM, 30&357 Herret, etc. I may look more into the Forster drill press setup. I used one in the 80s in a drill press for this purpose.

Take care

r1kk1

georgerkahn
11-17-2013, 09:46 AM
I have two "other" trimmers which I was very unsatisfied with, and then bought one like you have. I, too, have mixed feelings re the micrometer attachment, and if you haven't already noted for some short cases... it's too short for use as such. I think it's really not a necessary attachment for me, but it does make minute length adjustments easier, imho. And, I LOVE mine and it's the only trimmer I'd ever use! I power mine with a Milwaukee 2.4v screwdriver, have the optional carbide cutters on it, and measured lengths generally have no more than 0.0015" deviations. Congratulations on your purchase! As stated, I wish I had bought mine before the other two. geo

gray wolf
11-17-2013, 05:56 PM
IIRC, in the distant past (not available now), there was some outfit (not Wilson) selling carbide tipped cutters for the Wilson.
Give Sinclair a try, I think they have the Carbide cutters, ($ costly $)
I have my Wilson trimmer for many years and yes they are accurate, I also never found the need for Mic adjustable settings. Very easy to set them up and maintain .0015 accuracy.
I use a black and Decker small battery screw driver, they are very light and make the task a lot easier.

Love Life
11-17-2013, 05:59 PM
I love the Wilson. It is the most consistent trimmer I have used, and I have used quite a few trimmers.

TNsailorman
11-17-2013, 09:41 PM
I have both Wilson and C-H trimmer. The worked on the same principal, even the shell holders will interchange. Both are dead nuts accurate if you set them right. I learned a little trick several years ago that works real well for me(from an older gentleman who is no longer with us). On the end of the trimmer where the length adjustment screw goes, he had me to try putting a nut on each side of the housing to take the "slop" out of the screw when it is adjusted. Works like a charm. Tighten the front one first though. Once you get the adjustment right, tighten both down good and it will never move. The Wilson and the C-H are the best on the market in my book, and I have owned and used RCBS, Herter's, Forster, and Lyman. They will all do the job, I just like the Wilson/C-H system better and I seem to be able to get more consistent results with them.

novalty
11-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Is there a way to convert their reamer over to a cordless drill attachment?

gray wolf
11-19-2013, 08:03 AM
If it has the same end as the cutter then I believe you can. You just remove the handle
( threaded and uses a jam nut.) Replace the handle with the drill attachment and your done.

Garyshome
11-19-2013, 08:19 AM
I Just got a used one last week. But have not tried it yet as I am reloading pistol stuff right now.