PDA

View Full Version : Good job guys

44man
11-14-2013, 08:44 AM
I don't answer all posts, little time but I see a lot of cast kills, some the very first. So to make it short, I have to say "great job" to all.

sixshot
11-14-2013, 03:54 PM
44man, couldn't agree more, seems like they has been a ton of new cast bullet converts this last year.

Dick

CastingFool
11-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Taking a deer with my own cast bullets has been on my bucket list for a long time. I have taken deer with my j-word reloads. Now that I'm casting boolits for my RBH, this may be the year. Our deer season starts tomorrow.

garymcgehee52
11-14-2013, 08:28 PM
I am going out Saturday with my Finn 39 and cast. Hope to get my first cast deer kill.

kevmc
11-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Here too!!
Just started casting a few months ago.......
Got my .44 dialed in with some 429640 HP'S......season here opens this Sat.!

Grendel99
11-15-2013, 12:31 AM
I've noticed the same thing 44man. Seems a lot of people are having some successful hunting seasons so far. That includes me, I got my very first (2nd & 3rd!) cast kill this year too. Kevmc, let us know how those bullets do. I have the same mold and will be trying to get a deer and/or hog with it. I used the Lyman 429421 Keith bullet on my first three cast deer out of my Super Blackhawk Hunter.

Djones
11-15-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm going out tomorrow with my 45-70 and 44. Killed a deer last year with a purchased cast boolit now it's time to do it with my own!

Good luck to all!

TXGunNut
11-18-2013, 12:18 AM
My hunting trip is a few weeks out yet, these stories are getting me excited. It won't be my first CB kill but I have a new rifle or two to keep things interesting.

white eagle
11-18-2013, 09:17 AM
My hunting trip is a few weeks out yet, these stories are getting me excited. It won't be my first CB kill but I have a new rifle or two to keep things interesting.
my season starts this weekend coming up
not my first cast kill however my first dedicated to a revo and cast of course
like you I have alot of rifle choices with cast lets see is it the 358 win.,35 Whelen or 45-70
decisions,decisions....hope to post some pics soon

44man
11-18-2013, 10:16 AM
my season starts this weekend coming up
not my first cast kill however my first dedicated to a revo and cast of course
like you I have alot of rifle choices with cast lets see is it the 358 win.,35 Whelen or 45-70
decisions,decisions....hope to post some pics soon
Yes, I wish you luck and can't wait for some pictures.

357maximum
11-18-2013, 12:43 PM
It won't be my first CB kill but I have a new rifle or two to keep things interesting.

Be careful...be very careful.....that line of reasoning has cost me alot of money. :lol:

I have basically lost track of the total deer kill using homecast boolits, but I still roll like a pig in the mud when I think about how much fun this hobby-obsession is. I know there was alot of people who were not shooting much this summer for lack of ammo, I did not suffer that issue and that too makes me smile like the Cheshire Cat.

Jailer
11-18-2013, 07:25 PM
I got my first cast kill just a couple days ago and was nearly as pumped as my first deer.

There is just a certain satisfaction of taking an animal with a boolit you cast with a load you worked up that was shot out of a gun you tuned to work just right for you.

Brett Ross
11-21-2013, 04:59 PM
This will be my first year with cast. Well to be honest my first year out in 20+ years. Iowa has always been a shotgun only state, but they opened a "clean up" season to center-fire in the lower 2 counties ,a few years ago. My brother's and my sons have talked the old guys into getting back out . To be honest the thing that has fired me up about it, is shooting one with my own cast boolit (my newest obsession). I will be carrying a M95/34 or my Vetterli and bro is talking his 1884 trap-door or possibly an a3-03.

ammohead
11-21-2013, 09:00 PM
No cast bullet kill for me this year again. I had a doe tag but they just wouldn't cooperate. Carried a marlin 336A in 35 Rem and a model 94 Win in 32 win spec. Maybe next time. But it does seem that there is a bumper crop of cast bullet kills this year or at least the story telling has gone up. This is a good thing. Return to our roots.

birddog1520
11-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Thank you 44man and sixshot I am one of those who got my first CB kill this year and the credit goes to the fine folks here that give great advice and wonderful encouragement to those of us that are just getting started in the world of Cast Boolit hunting. Please give yourselves a pat on the back for helping us out!!! I for one am very grateful.

Randy, The Birddog.

marada
11-23-2013, 12:38 PM
i took my 1st cast kill this yr other than from a muzzleloader, with my marlin 44mag rifle with a 300 grn round flat nose boolit gas checked.

TXGunNut
11-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Be careful...be very careful.....that line of reasoning has cost me alot of money.-357maximum

Too late, my friend, but thanks anyway. I discovered long ago the only thing more interesting than a new rifle is a new rifle in a cartridge I don't currently load for. That kind of thinking has indeed cost me a big pile of cash but it's cheaper than many other hobbies. I've had to put a moratorium on new cartridges, it's not working very well but I'm trying. ;-)
Back on topic it is indeed impressive how many "first kill" threads we've seen this year. I only have a handful under my belt but I'm already reluctant to use j-words, like many here I consider boolits to be the superior hunting projectile.

35 shooter
11-28-2013, 01:39 AM
All these sucess stories have sure fired this old man up for the season. Congrats to everyone who's had sucess and everyone that's out there trying. I'm still trying for my first one with cast in a rifle. Passed on a couple of yearlings this evening but when your sitting on a scrape the size of a really big throw rug? Oh well...lots of season left here. The yearlings don't need to come back tommorrow tho cause the freezers almost empty on deer meat.

Crawdaddy
11-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Same here, so little time. I post a congrats to as many as I can. So if I missed you Great Job!

And Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless!

44man
12-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Now guys, it cost little to cast compared to buying bullets so it evens out FAST. Only a new caliber with dies, etc needed but you still need them for "J" words.
My shots cost a dime a shot. Your stuff will pay for itself very fast. Then it is free with only powder and primers.
This is "Cast Boolits" for a reason, shoot more, shoot better and cast works.
A few boxes of factory loads not bought will have you way ahead. Then there is your pride and good feelings.
I have pride in all that post about what they do here when hunting.
So what is REALLY needed over buying jacketed? Just a mold and some time.
A few post using jacketed, that's OK, still a hunter and eventually will be a cast hunter or shooter.
Time and money and time for the working man does not exclude him, things are tough today.

Ramjet-SS
12-04-2013, 12:02 AM
Years ago I had one of first guns built by the famed John Linebaugh. I had few choices if I wanted to shoot it allot but to learn to cast bullets. My first harvest of game with cast came with gun gun and then the Linebaugh rifle. As the years went by I got away from it found this site and have been re-energized and have purchased some top end molds and am casting and reloading a variety of rifles and handguns. I always have known through experience how effective cast bullets are on game and how economical for shooting .......... Allot. Great job to those how have harvested game for first time and for the 100th nice group of folks here and a great deal of knowledge.