PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand Spare Parts

firewalkerd1
11-13-2013, 10:50 PM
I am starting to reload for my Garand. I plan on shooting this rifle a lot. My question is what parts let go and break after shooting a lot? I would like to start rounding up some of these parts to have when needed.

bob208
11-13-2013, 11:01 PM
I would say an op rod. recoil spring and a firing pin. although I have never needed to replace any of those parts. they do seam like the most likely to need replacing.

Jack Stanley
11-13-2013, 11:02 PM
The only three parts that have broken while I was using them have been thesafety , firing pin and the sear/trigger . The first Garand I ever bought upon cleaning it the first time I found the operating rod spring was broken into thirteen pieces ( yet still functioned ) .

Though I think I have enough to build another Garand ,I would keep one of every spring and one of every pin . Parts that are helpfull to have include extractor , ejector , firing pin , bullet guide and follower . Depending on what you consider shooting a lot , a clip latch and a timing block would be handy to have too along with all the parts effecting the timing .

Jack

meterman
11-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Wouldn't hurt to have an op rod, a gas cylinder, and an extra gas cylinder plug. These have gone to pot on my M1s. They are also spendy.

tygar
11-18-2013, 11:25 PM
I have multiples of all parts including barrels, bolts, op rods & all small parts & wood. When I used to shoot matches I always carried a spare bolt, trigger group, sight parts, op rod & spring, gas parts. Same with the
M14.

Havn't had a lot of broken parts since I replace if they look like they need it or have a lot of rounds but have bent several op rods.

Frank46
11-23-2013, 02:23 AM
m1 op rod, trigger assembly, gas pistio with correct gas valve, spare firing pin, extractor pin and spring ejector and rjectro spring, recoil spring.magazine release spring. Possibly a few other trinkets like both front and rear sight assemblies.Sounds as though we got enough parts to almost a new one, and before I forget a complete bolt with exrtracor claw and ejector with pin. I have all of these usually in my shooting kit when shooting a garand. Frank

zomby woof
11-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Things rarely break. Chances are, the spare parts that you buy will never break. You'll need something you don't have. When I worked as an automation mechanic, one of my mentors said "put this in your toolbox and you'll never need it". M1 parts are readily available. Unless your shooting serious competition, replace as needed. You can get any part you need within a few days.

Reverend Recoil
11-23-2013, 09:35 PM
The bullet guide and the clip latch spring were the last two parts to be revised and upgraded. The better M1 books explain why if you are interested. These parts are cheap. Replace the bullet guide the clip latch spring with new and heavy duty parts from Fulton Armory and your M1 will run like it should. Be sure to properly lubricate your M1. I use Mobile-One synthetic high temp wheel bearing grease. Do not load your ammo with powder that burns at a slower rate than IMR-4064. Hornady's reloading handbook has good 30-06 service rifle loads.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Garand-Parts.aspx

Bullet Guide: Price: $14.95 Part #: FA-G-015
Clip Latch Spring, HD: Price: $4.95 Part #: FA-G-025

NuJudge
11-24-2013, 04:30 AM
I have fired Garand rifles regularly since 1982, and the only thing I can remember replacing on any of them is the recoil spring.

Blammer
11-29-2013, 09:51 PM
just buy two, one to shoot and one for parts. :)

mtnman31
11-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Zomby Woof read my mind. Chances of your rifle breaking are slim and parts are so readily available that unless the rifle is your livelihood, there isn't much need to keep a drawer full of parts. If/when it does break, order a replacement part and avoid buying parts that you'll probably end up misplacing or forgetting you had. You are talking about a Garand, but if it was a less reliable, or older or uncommon rifle, my advice would be to get some spares.

Gtek
11-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Yes they are a very stable platform with very few issues. I am not the best person to ask because of a building full of parts. If I were to be a one or two Garand guy I would have to have a few. #1- Extractor, spring and plunger, #2- Op Spring, that has been tested in weapon (just cause it looks the same means diddly), Firing pin, ejector and spring, clip latch spring. If the extractor breaks, which they do. Things can go ugly in one cycle, little things flying all over. An M-10 in butt with one section of rod, all of the parts can be put in one hole, and tool and rod with rope pull through/brush/patches in other hole. Please keep sectioned rod out of your barrel! Gtek