PDA

View Full Version : truline jr wont resize nickle cases

s1120
11-13-2013, 05:49 PM
So I'll start by saying I'm a pretty new reloader. Studying it for years, but not many rounds under my belt. So I'm working on setting up my work area, and doing some cleaning and sorting. So I have a can of 357 mag nickle cases, I was going to start prepping. I can not get these to resize in my true line Jr with a full length resize die. Brass cases work fine. Normally I use a little Johnson paste wax as a lube, and I tryed that, and also some mink oil I had laying around.

So... I understand that it might take a little more effort.... but this was beyond that, and getting to the point of forcing. What am I missing?

Mk42gunner
11-14-2013, 12:19 AM
Real case lube. Doesn't the Truline JR use the small 310 dies (steel only)?

The absolute best case lube I have ever used is Imperial sizing die wax. The small tin cost me about six or seven dollars a few years ago, and looks like it will last for several decades.

Other than that, a very light coating of STP works about as well as anything. Yes you will have to wipe it off later, but stuck cases are a real PITA.

The aerosol case lubes that I have tried are hit and miss; the first can will work great to okay, then with the second can I start getting stuck cases.

Robert

WallyM3
11-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Are you using the 310 dies or is the turret threaded for 7/8" dies?

MtGun44
11-14-2013, 03:40 AM
Use a real case lube like Lee's paste or Imperial Die wax.

Bill

s1120
11-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Wally, That's a beauty right there!! I like the old single stage press also. Yes Im using the 310 dies.

You know in researching I found so many people that hated this, or that case lube, I figured I would try some of the other things that people use. And for brass the past wax, and mink oil have worked great. It wasn't till I tried the nickel that I had the problem. I will give STP a shot first because I do have some. Ill look into some others if it still doesn't work. I don't like the idea of the sprays. For now Im doing small batches, and to have to spray only 10-20 cases is kind of a hassle, and messy.

Thanks for the advice guys. Ive resized them in the past on a full size press and it worked fine, and brass works fine on the TLJr, so I was a little baffled when the nickel would not resize in it.

Tom Myers
11-14-2013, 07:44 AM
So... I understand that it might take a little more effort.... but this was beyond that, and getting to the point of forcing. What am I missing?

Do you have the older model True Line Jr. or the improved linkage model. Study the image posted in a previous post.

The Older model used a single bar to connect the pivot with the shell holder casting. The improved linkage used a "Y" type arrangement that imparted more power at the top of the stroke.

I have one of the older models and have experienced the same problem with nickle cases.

s1120
11-14-2013, 10:41 AM
its the newer style linkage.

HeavyMetal
11-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Steel dies can be a pain, particularly in the Tru line press, I've had a number of these press's over the years and converting it to take a 7/8x14 die turret is money well spent!

I can full length size 44 mag case's on mine, with a little Imperial sizing die wax, using Carbide dies. The 357's are no trouble at all with or with out the wax, brass or nickel case.

Not fond of Nickeled case's, I've found they can scratch steel dies and they can be a little "grabby" in the steel die as well.

However in these times a reloader use's what he can find!

WallyM3
11-14-2013, 01:49 PM
When asking around about my "new-to-me" Jr., the advice I got was "don't push it", in fact, limit it to straight wall cases, they said. If it takes a lot of force to size a case (or case type), it's probably best to size on a rigid single stage press.

That single stage Spartan came in a batch of goodies brought to me by a Canadian friend who was into the shooting sports before Canada made such things onerous. Most of my loading is done on a CoAx and a RCBS A2 (very rugged).

The weak spots in a Jr. (if they can be called that) are 1) lateral alignment, which is adjustable, and 2) the turret, which is a design feature that needs to be taken into consideration. If you need to dangle at the end of the handle to size a case, you're probably asking too much of it.

I've sized untold machine gun fired HXP (in the A2) using Imperial wax. That's a pretty strenuous assignment for a press. I've stuck cases in new sizing dies, but they all went in smoothly enough. If the dies are new, the internal sizing surfaces are as yet unburnished. This may affect their performance. The die walls will "polish" in time.

There's a fellow on eBay offering 4 and six station turret replacement plates for Jr.s.

fredj338
11-14-2013, 02:31 PM
A tube of real case lube will last you years, it's cheap, why look for a lesser alternative? Nickel cases have always required aq bit more force to resize for me. So even w/ carbide dies, I use case lube every 4-5 cases.

s1120
11-14-2013, 03:26 PM
ive seen the adapter plates for the normal dies, but frankly I think forcing the press to be something different then it is, is only asking for trouble. I do plan on getting a single stage one day also, but for now I have just this one.

44Vaquero
11-14-2013, 03:29 PM
S1120 and Wallym3 the real weakness in the True-line Jr., is cam over. Do not set the sizing die to touch the shell holder at the top of the stroke, the resulting pressure can crack the base. I have mine set up just like WallyM3's and love it for a dedicated .32 magnum press.

Case lube is a must even with 7/8x14 dies for anything larger than the .32's. The old timers used rendered sheep tallow about the closet thing you can find today is Imperial sizing wax or Hornady Unique case lube. All lubes are not created equal.

S1120, the 7/8x14 turret's have recently become very expensive, but for the straight walled pistol calibers the press is plenty tough enough. I have sized/de-primed .45 ACP, .357 and .44 magnum's in addition to the .32's.

Wayne Smith
11-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Wow!! You guys have pretty Jr.'s. I'd be ashamed to post pics of either of mine!

44Vaquero
11-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Paint is cheap Wayne! Get her done.

Wallym3's does not look like it's ever been used and the Spartan in the background looks new too. I kind of though mine looked rough compared to his.

WallyM3
11-14-2013, 04:31 PM
"Wallym3's does not look like it's ever been used and the Spartan in the background looks new too."

The Spartan had gotten very little use when I got it. The Jr. is a complete refinish job with some minor mechanical work.

44Vaquero
11-14-2013, 04:35 PM
WallyM3, Love them both! Old Iron is great Iron! Old presses have a soul as my friend says.

s1120
11-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Mine is much more grungy...

Green Frog
11-14-2013, 09:53 PM
The question is, what were the nickel cases fired in? Was it the same gun the brass cases came from? Quite obviously, the more the case has to be sized down, the more effort it will require. I also am pretty conservative with how much pressure I put on my little TruLine Jrs. Like 44V, I find the TL Jr perfect to dedicate to 32 revolver cartridges.

Froggie

s1120
11-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Well green frog. I THINK they were from the same gun... but you know... I do not know 100% it was from dads stash, and my model 19 was his only 357. But I guess he could have picked them up at a range. I'll have to check to see if they chamber, and check them with the calipers. Thanks for the idea!!!!!