PDA

View Full Version : My Hollywood Family

Jim Kitchen
11-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Blame Lubedude.

Dave's been after me for a week or so to post a picture of my Hollywood collection. After another phone call today I promised him I would so here goes.

First up:

My only Hollywood Senior. She was the first one that I found.

Next up:

A Senior Turret. This was the first Senior Turret I scored. She came from a private seller who had taken good care of it for the better part of 50 years. What's interesting is that it is slightly shorter than...

My other Senior Turret. It's about an inch and a high taller than the other one I have.

Next is...

My wasp waisted Model B. The paint on this one is really spectacular. Unlike...

This is a reinforced Model B. It came from a gun club here in Minnesota and all of the equipment that came with it was stamped by Hollywood at the factory. (The letters are beneath scratches and surface blemishes.)

Finally:

A Hollywood Super Turret.

She had one owner for almost the entire time since she was made. (The owner's name was Jack and he called her "Holly" which as nicknames goes is pretty good.) He bought it new and had it until he died a couple of years ago. His widow gave it to a friend who recognized this past year that he wasn't going to reload with as much as he thought. After 54 years he let me buy it. I can't begin to tell you what great shape it's in. Jack kept every last small piece or part together and the press is as complete as when it left the factory.

Here's the gang all together:

Nothing is bolted down because, as I told Dave, I'm having to add another bench in the next week or so to get everything sorted. (Probably 8-9 feet wide.) After that it's getting dies in place and everything else sorted out. Dave's been really good about answering a question here and there and Pressman gets a big "Thanks!" as well. Both of them have been splendid about answering questions and offering advice and have been spectacular ambassadors of the community here.

Thanks,

Jim

LUBEDUDE
11-13-2013, 08:31 PM
That's quite a family to be proud of there Jim! And quite the lineage as well.

Just looking at that family photo, Wow! It looks as if all the presses but the Super Turret could be melted down and all that metal would fit into the Super a Turret! What a Beast!

Can't wait to see your final bench set up.

Thanks for posting!

Chev. William
11-13-2013, 10:53 PM
I am SURE you are planning some Serious reinforcement for your new bench, I have a 'feel' for the weight of Tooling you can set up with your 'family' already. I carried home 12ea '1 lb. loaf Bread tins' in the back of my Dodge Dakota Quad Cab and it rode 'lower' in the rear with all that weight near the tailgate. Adding the press's weights will be a serious bench load.

Are you going to provide space for future acquisitions? Now would be the time to plan for the future.

I am 'just a bit' Jealous of you inventory. I do all my work on an RCBS "JR-3" single position "O" frame press that is "C" clamped to a 1 inch thick table top. Forming cases takes serious effort on the handle and I flex the table top doing it. The table top is two layers of 1/2 inch Marine Plywood glued and screwed together, cut to 8'x2'+ an mounted on some portable table folding legs (the 1 inch tubing "H" frame type) and coated with 13 coats of marine synthetic Varnish for water resistance. I need to use the table for summer gatherings which requires the "C" clamps.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

MOcaster
11-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I hate you. :) Haven't you heard of the liberal **** of "spreading the wealth"? I need some wealth! You are one lucky man.

.30/30 Guy
11-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Now you need a Hollywood Junior to complete the family.

Jim Kitchen
11-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks all.

I do need a Junior! (I laughed out loud when I read that.) I've been trying to find one for a while but no luck. I also want to find a Universal with three stations.

I'm actually at Home Depot this morning looking at bench options. I have to do some more measuring before I buy anything but things are coming together.

Thanks again,

Jim

bbqncigars
11-15-2013, 01:26 AM
You might want to check out the wood bench top that Harbor Freight sells. I would probably go that route if I had to build my bench again.

starmac
11-15-2013, 02:29 AM
Universal with the three stations and a bunch of goodies on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hollywood-reloading-turret-press-/200987197278?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecbc53f5e

MOcaster
11-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Universal with the three stations and a bunch of goodies on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hollywood-reloading-turret-press-/200987197278?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecbc53f5e

Sssssshhhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell him. I want it.

Pressman
11-15-2013, 05:26 PM
The eBay press is a Universal with three turrets, not the three die station, semi turret head.
Ken

44Vaquero
11-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Nice! Excellent collection, more pics would be awesome.

starmac
11-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Now I am confused, did they make a universal with a three die turret?? Was it the same press as the 12 die turret, or something smaller framed?

Kevin Rohrer
11-15-2013, 10:09 PM
The Model A or Model I. Same frame as the B/II.

starmac
11-16-2013, 02:42 AM
Thanks....

Pressman
11-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Kevin's press pictured above is actually quite scarce. It was made after the frame change to a straight back frame. The three die turret was dropped shortly after that.

Below is an original Model A. This is the modified Universal design Hollywood started with for at least 6 months before the 12 station turrets were designed and sold. While these are more common than Kevin's Model 1 all are hard to find today as they are quickly disappearing into collections.