PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Ohaus mold

Rainier
11-12-2013, 11:39 PM
I have a friend who once upon a time cast a lot of bullets and has given up the idea of casting. He found in his stash a NIB Ohaus .308 180gr RNGC single cavity mold. He bought it many years ago and never used it or got handles for it but offered it to me and now I need handles. With a small bit of research both on this site and the "interweb" at large it didn't take me long to discover RCBS bought the Ohaus line of molds in the late 70,s.
This next bit falls under the category of "You can't make this up" - I figured a quick call to RCBS and they'd be able to tell me which handles I need - HA! So much for my "figuring" the rep I spoke with told me RCBS has never had anything to do with Ohaus molds. I read a couple of sentences from various sites to him and asked if he was sure about that. Well, he says hold on let me ask one of the "old guys" - he comes back on the line to inform me that a 46year member of the company has never heard of RCBS being involved with Ohaus molds - only thing I can sort out is if the "old guy" has been there since 1967 maybe his memory ain't what it used to be :)
Anyway, I have a Ohaus single cavity .308 180gr RNGC #10291 mold and need handles - does anyone have any idea which handles I need to purchase for it?
Many thanks in advance for any help!

454PB
11-13-2013, 12:05 AM
I'd bet money that Ohaus was bought by RCBS.

Assuming that the Ohaus mould uses the same size handle channel as RCBS, then RCBS handles should fit. Since yours is a single cavity, the RCBS handles will be quite large, because theirs are all designed for two cavity moulds. If you measure the width of the channel, we can come up with something that will fit unaltered. Lyman handles are thicker than RCBS handles, but an alternative would be to grind down a Lyman single cavity handle, or even use a set of Lee handles salvaged from a two cavity mould.

Kraschenbirn
11-13-2013, 09:50 AM
My Ohaus moulds (I have 4) fit RCBS handles quite nicely and, matter of fact, they also fit one set of very old (and worn) Lyman handles from a bucket of casting odds and ends I bought in a small-town resale shop.

Bill

gwpercle
11-13-2013, 03:41 PM
There is a mould handle interchangability sticky at the start of this forum. It might give you the answer. I found the statement, Ohaus-mould blocks are the same size as the small Lyman blocks. So whatever handles interchange with them will work.
I discovered that Lee 6 cavity handles fit double cavity Lyman moulds like a glove, no modifications needed and much cheaper than Lyman handles.
If I'm reading the chart correctly, Lee handle's interchange with no modifications on 1 and 2 cavity Lyman moulds.
If not, maybe they could be modified to fit.

Gary

bhn22
11-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Two-thirds of the way down the page is your answer. I trust Glen more than I trust the manufacturers people anyday!

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_book_chapter_1_introduction.htm

Maven
11-13-2013, 07:22 PM
+1 bhn22! Also, the RCBS rep the OP spoke with was also ignorant of the fact that RCBS also rebranded the Ohaus powder scales as well as the Du-O-Matic powder measure.

Rainier
11-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Too funny! I've bookmarked from Ingot to Target (great information there for those who haven't read it!) and that was the few sentences I read to the rep. :)
I called my friend who still had the mold block in his possession and he tried an older set of Lyman handles he still has and they don't close the block square. I have some Lyman and Lee handles so he's dropping the mold in the mail to me and I'll first try what I have. If all else fails I'll purchase a set of RCBS handles and put the grinder to them if necessary.

Thanks for all the help!

454PB
11-13-2013, 11:15 PM
If it matters, the Lee 6 cavity handles are a lot cheaper than the RCBS handles.

tonyjones
11-13-2013, 11:25 PM
I have old Lyman handles on my Ohaus mould and they work fine. RCBS must have narrowed the slots when they rebranded the Ohaus line.

Tony

leadman
11-14-2013, 12:32 PM
I saw an ad in an old magazine that showed an OHAUS 3 cavity mold on a block that looked the same as a 2 cavity RCBS. I think the brains of the company was Jay Postman and when he passed alot of knowledge went with his photographic memory.

30calflash
11-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Lyman handles work on mine, all single cavity. IIRC I had to file a little off the inside of the handles for it to close properly.

MtGun44
11-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Ohaus WAS bought up by RCBS.

Bill

Rainier
11-18-2013, 09:22 PM
All good news - the single cavity Ohaus arrived today and the Lee six cavity handles fit perfectly! It does look a little funny but cast it will, Woot!
FYI... I did try a set of "new" Lyman double cavity handles and they didn't work.
Thank you all for the help! I wouldn't have thought to try the Lee handles I already have sitting here. :)

454PB
11-18-2013, 11:53 PM
My Lee 6 cavity handles will fit all the moulds I own.......except the RCBS. To use them on RCBS moulds, they have to be thinned.

Rainier
11-19-2013, 12:30 AM
Duly noted - I'll have to try the Lyman molds I have on the Lee six cavity handles and see how they fit - wish I would have thought to try them before now - oh well, education ain't free so they say :)

m1903rifle
12-06-2021, 02:18 PM
I have an OHAUS 500GR 58 caliber Minie ball mold that is missing the gadget that fits in the base that creates the hollow base. Any idea of how/where to find a replacement?

G W Wade
12-06-2021, 03:02 PM
If my memory is still intact. I have a Penquin model, that became Lachmiler. Was taking over by Ohaus to be become RCBS. GW Please jump in if my order is wrong

MT Gianni
12-07-2021, 01:38 AM
Your base plug for the Ohaus mold is likely unavailable. Your best bet is a local machinist to build one.

John Boy
12-07-2021, 10:52 AM
Articles on handles …. https://www.google.com/search?q=ohaus%20mold%20handles&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-m

gwpercle
12-07-2021, 01:13 PM
I have an OHAUS 500GR 58 caliber Minie ball mold that is missing the gadget that fits in the base that creates the hollow base. Any idea of how/where to find a replacement?
Finding replacement gadgets are a lot harder than finding handles ...
I checked but a Lee gadget doesn't fit !
Gary

Good Cheer
12-07-2021, 01:50 PM
Erik at hollowpointmold.com
He's the man!

Good Cheer
12-07-2021, 02:07 PM
Hollow cow. I went and checked the .58 box and I have an extra Ohaus plug for that mold.
Gary, I'm sending you a message.