PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating, first attempt.............

HiVelocity
11-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Well, some things just work the first time, just not for me.........lol!

I got some powder coat powder from Margaret, at the Powder Source (www.thepowdersource.com), thanks Margaret.

Having read hundreds of posts, I figured I would try to PC a few 40 caliber cast bullets. Utilizing an inexpensive toaster oven, I tried the
tumble method. Fist attempt looked like I didn't have enough powder mixed with the acetone. I added twice the amount and then a healthy
handful of (still hot) cast bullets. In a plastic container, I swirled them bullets for 15-20 minutes, dumped them onto wax paper. I then transferred
the bullets, standing upright, onto the toaster pan and set the timer to 30 minutes at 400 degrees. BTW, I did "pre-heat" the oven, which I
believe does make a difference. Not bad for a first try, what do you think?

The mold is a Lee 401-175-TC. These bullets will probably have to be sized, the PC adds .002-.003 to the overall thickness; yet no weight change. These bullets cast out at 181 grains with ACWW. The round shown is just a dummy round to see how the completed projectile looks. Comments?

HV

w0fms
11-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Not bad, but I'll say it again.. if you like these, please treat yourself to an electrostatic gun. Those look good but patchy, and that means out of symmetrical, and less accurate IMHO. It's so, so easy once you powder coat with an actual powder coater. Let us know how it works out on the 40 though since it's a high velocity round...

HiVelocity
11-12-2013, 07:33 PM
W0fms,

This was my first attempt with limited tools. I'll probably buy a gun and set up a "paint booth" of sorts to assist in the process.

The batch I PC'd in the photo is only around 25; I'll size and load them in the next couple days, shoot them over the weekend.

HV

HATCH
11-12-2013, 07:59 PM
let me know when you start accepting boolits to coat....
I wouldn't mind trying some 44/40 boolits to see how they act..

HATCH
11-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Good job BTW

Beagle333
11-12-2013, 09:23 PM
I'll probably buy a gun and set up a "paint booth" of sorts to assist in the process. HV

It don't take much of a paint booth. I'm spraying in the yard on a small table, using a 2'x2' cardboard box with one side cut out of it, as a booth. 'Just something to knock the wind off.
Note.... you have to knock all the wind off..... even a little swirl will steal your powder and blow it off target.

I think those black ones will shoot just fine, at least for banging targets. They look better than my first ones.... I had to resmelt. :oops:

bangerjim
11-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Welcome to PC'ing. You will quickly find the ES gun is fast, accurate, repeatable, and fun!

I spray and bake only ONCE......not the 3-4 times the liquid slopping method has to incorporate to try to achieve an acceptable coat. One 10 min bake at 400F is per the powder spec and works perfectly every time.

Yes.......preheat the oven! Use a good convection style, not a cheeeeep junk store cal rod style. Conv gives you even heating for perfect slugs every time.

The ES PC boolits are smooth and flawlessly coated.......every single time.

I do NOT use any kind of "booth" to spray in. I do it outside my backyard shop on a Workmate and can walk around it to spray from front & back. Have never had any problems with a little breeze.
I do not waste time trying to recover any spent powder, because at $5/# from HF, it is not worth my efforts. I only see perhaps <1/4 tsp of powder wasted on and around the area after coating 500 slugs. I use ONLY matte black.....look REALLY cool!

Have fun!!!!!

banger

Garyshome
11-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Nice job! I've pc'd a bit myself, takes a lot of time, Boolits look really good though.

popper
11-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Keep at it, they will shoot fine. The ES gun works really, other methods are fine.

fastglock
11-13-2013, 01:58 AM
For tumble method, according to the pics posted, so far the nicest yet. I had to look twice thinking it was applied by ES gun.

waksupi
11-13-2013, 02:38 AM
You guys are going to get me sucked into trying this. Will an air brush work to apply the paint?

Balta
11-13-2013, 03:32 AM
Its powder paint, air brush will not work.

HiVelocity
11-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Waksupi,

Read a few various posts on how to apply the powder coat first. I started with the least expensive method, and got decent results for a newbie. I think my biggest mistake was
applying one thick coat. Two or three lighter coats would probably look better.

I did note one thing that is paramount to coverage, thoroughly mixing. I "swirled" the cast projectiles in the powder/acetone mix for 10-15 minutes. The coated bullets will look clumpy, the P-C evens out while baking.

Just my .02 worth.

HV

Smoke4320
11-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Looks good to me .. the swirling methods seem to work fine for handgun velocities when it comes to rifles ES sprayed all the way ... YMMV

bretNorCal
11-13-2013, 01:45 PM
W0fms,

This was my first attempt with limited tools. I'll probably buy a gun and set up a "paint booth" of sorts to assist in the process.

The batch I PC'd in the photo is only around 25; I'll size and load them in the next couple days, shoot them over the weekend.

HV

For an inexpensive powder coat gun that requires no air compressor there is the discontinued sears craftsman model (actually made by WAI) which you can find on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WAI-Electric-Powder-coat-system-Everything-included-FREE-Craftsman-powder-/300992798036?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160) for about $60-65. It works well for what it is as seen in some of these videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uUfOJfCMjw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dki69bjC2fE

both show results that can be achieved.

bangerjim
11-13-2013, 01:46 PM
You guys are going to get me sucked into trying this. Will an air brush work to apply the paint?

The powder is "adhered" with the electrostatic charge from the gun. Then baked on by the oven. Any other method of just blowing the powder at the target will NOT work at all.

Just buy the gun. You will not be sorry.

banger

bangerjim
11-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Waksupi,

Read a few various posts on how to apply the powder coat first. I started with the least expensive method, and got decent results for a newbie. I think my biggest mistake was
applying one thick coat. Two or three lighter coats would probably look better.

I did note one thing that is paramount to coverage, thoroughly mixing. I "swirled" the cast projectiles in the powder/acetone mix for 10-15 minutes. The coated bullets will look clumpy, the P-C evens out while baking.

Just my .02 worth.

HV

If you will use the ES gun method, you need only ONE coat! And ONE bake! That saves a whole bunch of time and gives perfect coat boolits every time. Having to slop & dump & bake 3-4 times is far more time than I wish to spend coating boolits.

And ES PC slugs are really perrrrrrty!

banger

HiVelocity
11-13-2013, 05:09 PM
bretNorCal,

Thanks for the lead, just bought one from E-Bay. Now I'll be a casting maniac. Lol!

HV

w0fms
11-13-2013, 05:19 PM
I use a 2x2 box but didn't bother cutting one of the sides off. I coat and bake twice to get a "total Powder coat jacket" by doing them upside down first on the ball and then right side up but I'm a freaking Perfectionist. The ES gun and some plumbing (a regulator for the gun side with a gauge and a cheapy recoil spring type airhose are really useful) is all you need. Well, that and the expensive (but really well worth it) no-stick Reynolds aluminum foil. If you don't want to gas check your pistol bullets with PC, then that on the Reynolds on the tray that came with your $15-35 toaster oven in that 2x2 box will do 50-75 at a time...

Beagle333
11-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Just buy the gun. You will not be sorry.
banger

I was a skeptic. I was pretty happy with swirling, shaking, and double-baking,... mine didn't look too pretty, but they shot well. Really well. But then I kept seeing the pics that some of the pics guys were posting,... theirs worked well and looked great..... and then there was the one-coat appeal too.... and Banger ain't lyin'!
The gun is the way! :grin:

waco
11-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Dang-it you guys!
I'm just about to hop in the truck and run down to HF and spend some $ on a PC set up!
I feel like I'm missing out on something!
Those PC boolits look WAY to cool!

HiVelocity
11-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Well, while I wait for my p-c gun to arrive, I powder coated more .40's.

Then, according to a friend, I did the "smash" test. It appears that I did everything right, so far. No peeling, flaking, or chipping when I hit
the cast bullet with a hammer. P-C is still in tact.

Now all I have to do is actually shoot a few. Time to dodge a few honey-do's?

HV

HiVelocity
11-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Waco-

Go bite the bullet one time, lots of fun. I have a friend, crazier than me, does professional PC where he works, check out his work:

Hey, Univ of Tennessee fans, one for you!

Enjoy! Oh, have I told you how "addictive" this is?

HV

waco
11-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Very cool!!!!

leadbutt
11-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Well, some things just work the first time, just not for me.........lol!

I got some powder coat powder from Margaret, at the Powder Source (www.thepowdersource.com), thanks Margaret.

Having read hundreds of posts, I figured I would try to PC a few 40 caliber cast bullets. Utilizing an inexpensive toaster oven, I tried the
tumble method. Fist attempt looked like I didn't have enough powder mixed with the acetone. I added twice the amount and then a healthy
handful of (still hot) cast bullets. In a plastic container, I swirled them bullets for 15-20 minutes, dumped them onto wax paper. I then transferred
the bullets, standing upright, onto the toaster pan and set the timer to 30 minutes at 400 degrees. BTW, I did "pre-heat" the oven, which I
believe does make a difference. Not bad for a first try, what do you think?

The mold is a Lee 401-175-TC. These bullets will probably have to be sized, the PC adds .002-.003 to the overall thickness; yet no weight change. These bullets cast out at 181 grains with ACWW. The round shown is just a dummy round to see how the completed projectile looks. Comments?

HV

I think your boolits are now infected with that dastardly black mold. Call servpro!! That stuff makes lead look like vitamins.:kidding:

HiVelocity
11-14-2013, 09:49 PM
I know, its freaky what folks are coming up with regarding colors. You should see the .360 boolits Beagle333 did, looks like someone stole
their sister's fingernail polish. Outstanding job.

HV

Skip62
11-15-2013, 09:16 PM
ooops