PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic cleaners and moulds?

georgerkahn
11-12-2013, 04:40 PM
I've been reading on this site LOTS of different techniques to degrease and clean moulds after storage and before using. Products from a Dawn or similar detergent boil to spraying (with safety glasses on) with Brakleen type products.

All of my moulds are Lyman, H&G, and Winchester brand ferrous construction, and I have been spraying them lightly with Starrett M-1 oil before each is placed in an open plastic bag for storage.

Rather than the boiling or spraying method to degrease before use, I was thinking of employing the Lyman Magnum Ultrasonic cleaner, using their Parts Cleaner solution.

However, before risking ruination of moulds I love and cherish trying it, I reckoned I'd post this and hope to receive some (e.g., "it works!", or "DON'T DO IT!!!") sage feedback.

Thanks!!! george

kevmc
11-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Which solution is the only part I'd worry about....
I've cleaned new-to-me molds with dawn in an ultrasonic....gets 'em clean!

georgerkahn
11-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Using Dawn never (sorry (not really)) dawned on me. I was thinking of using the commercial parts cleaner, which I have even successfully used on a Smith & Wesson Model 41. Never thought of using detergent in the ultrasonic. What would be your suggested mix/strength? THANKS for this idea! geo

montana_charlie
11-13-2013, 07:16 PM
I believe that an ultrasonic cleaner is the best way to get a mould ready to use.
I disassemble the mould, removing all screws, and clean the blocks and plate in a 2% solution of Micro-90 (Google for a generously sized free sample).

Then I treat tapped holes with anti-seize compound, and use a tiny bit of the same to lube the sprue plate pivot point.

The Micro-90 leaves the iron totally devoid of lubricant, so you want to dry things quickly (I use heat) to prevent flash rusting.

For aluminum moulds, I use a 2% solution of Surface-Cleanse/920 (sample also available).

Both are 'detergents', but they don't make suds.

CM

dragonrider
11-13-2013, 08:19 PM
I use simple green in my ultrasonic. Works good. However for as long as I had it and as many things as I have cleaned in it, it never occurred to me to clean molds in it. But I will now. thanks.