PDA

View Full Version : Ed's Red Oops

BABore
08-26-2005, 07:55 AM
I just my up my first gallon of Ed's Red, but I made a slight mistake. I forgot my recipe when I bought ingredients. I mixed 1 part ATF, 1 part Acetone, 1 part Turpentine, and 1 part Mineral Spirits. Missed the Kerosene. Do you think there will be any problem if I were to just add a quart of Kerosene to my current 1 gallon batch?

mroliver77
08-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Should be fine. All the ingrediants will be there. Or if you want it to match the recipe scale it up to two gallons and have enough for a long time.
It,s funny that a couple bottles of hoppes lasted me for years until I was taught how to properly clean a barrel. My first gallon of Eds Red lasted 2years or so. I quite using the lanolin but keep a small batch for storage that includes alox in it. Jay

StarMetal
08-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Your mix will be fine, but if were me I would have eliminated the turpentine because I don't like the smell and used the kerosene in it's place. Another substitute for kerosene is WD40. I made a batch using that and it's just fine. Like Mr Oliver77 I don't use the lanolin either.

Joe

carpetman
08-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Starmetal---eliminated the kerosene and used turpentine in it's place??? Turpentine is one of the ingredients--are you saying use 2 parts turpentine? I used anhydrous lanolin in mine and I am pleased witht the mixture---never tried any without lanolin. Back to original question--I'd add in the omitted kerosene. I would also think diesel could be substituted for the kerosene.

BABore
08-26-2005, 12:08 PM
The recipe calls for EITHER Turpentine OR Mineral Oil. I used both and forgot the Kerosene.