PDA

View Full Version : How to cut this lead

fastfire
11-12-2013, 03:27 AM
I have a piece of soft lead 1/2 thick 12"wide and about 15ft long.
How do I cut small enough pieces to put in my cast iron pot to make into ingots?:confused:

MTtimberline
11-12-2013, 03:32 AM
Bandsaw or hatchet

Fisher
11-12-2013, 03:34 AM
Chisel and hammer?
or a guillotine at a sheet metal work shop might be the best and fastest?

Lead Fred
11-12-2013, 03:42 AM
Hack saw

LoopSoosStroop
11-12-2013, 03:52 AM
hatchet

Probably the best bet here. Even a bigger axe. Just put a wooden block underneath.

RickinTN
11-12-2013, 04:27 AM
A reciprocating saw is probably fastest with a coarse blade. I've used a carpenters' saw in a pinch.
Rick

JakeBlanton
11-12-2013, 04:41 AM
Hydraulic log splitter works well, if you have one.

JakeBlanton
11-12-2013, 04:46 AM
That probably weighs around 440 lbs, so any option that requires moving it any distance is probably not going to be that great for you.

lead chucker
11-12-2013, 04:47 AM
Reciprocation saw works good

freebullet
11-12-2013, 05:27 AM
Id use a torch & melt it in half. Then use a sledge hammer to fold up & compress those 2 big chunks so I could melt each half separately in my pot.

Driver man
11-12-2013, 06:05 AM
use an axe

w5pv
11-12-2013, 07:23 AM
I vote ax with a good piece of wood underneath for backup.

bretNorCal
11-12-2013, 07:31 AM
fricken laser

jonp
11-12-2013, 07:34 AM
Cordless Reciprocating saw with a towel under the piece to catch the shavings. An axe or hatchet will also work.

Tatume
11-12-2013, 07:58 AM
While an axe might work on soft lead that is only 1/2 inch thick, I had one heckofa time using an axe to cut wheel weight ingots that were about one inch thick.

I have an opportunity to buy three blocks of soft lead that are 1200 pounds each. The seller will put them in the back of my truck (one per trip) with a fork lift. I haven't bought them because I don't know how I could get them out and then cut them.

blaser.306
11-12-2013, 08:21 AM
I cut up a thousand lbs of lead water pipe using a circular saw with a carbide blade, That worked very well , just be sure to have a tarp spread out to catch the leavins!

blaser.306
11-12-2013, 08:25 AM
While an axe might work on soft lead that is only 1/2 inch thick, I had one heckofa time using an axe to cut wheel weight ingots that were about one inch thick.

I have an opportunity to buy three blocks of soft lead that are 1200 pounds each. The seller will put them in the back of my truck (one per trip) with a fork lift. I haven't bought them because I don't know how I could get them out and then cut them.

Just a sugestion, Some guy's at our black powder club received a gift such as yours, what they did is made a day of it! first off get it out of the truck, then they just built a fire around it . As it melted and ran away in small silver streams they collected it up for cleaning and easier handleing. YMMV, but it does make it a more user friendly lump to deal with.

imashooter2
11-12-2013, 08:30 AM

Getting it out of the truck is easy. Put the gate down, get it going 10 miles an hour in reverse and stand on the brake. Trust me, it'll come out. :shock:

dsbock
11-12-2013, 08:59 AM
use an axe

Agrees. A full size axe should pretty easily cut 1/2" lead. A solid backing (i.e. wood block) is a must. Also, put a tarp under everything to catch chips.

Good find and good luck.

David

Garyshome
11-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Chain Saw.

dsmjon
11-12-2013, 09:32 AM
I use a cordless circular saw with carbide blade. 1/2" thick will be easy.

captaint
11-12-2013, 09:58 AM
I've used a hacksaw many times to cut lead pipe & various pieces of Pb. Works good. Mike

Centaur 1
11-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Circular saw with a coarse carbide blade.

Mal Paso
11-12-2013, 11:18 AM
This would be an excellent excuse to get a bigger pot. ;)

jonk
11-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I'd crowbar up a corner, slide a muffin tin on a cookie sheet under the end (while leaving it supported so as not to crush the tin), and blast it with my weed burner. A lot will go into the tin, making nice ingots, the remaining will run off on to the cookie sheet and shoot be thin enough to fold over and put in the pot, or else re-melt later.

I don't like sawing lead. I don't have lead poisoning and would prefer to keep it that way, and lots of lead dust in the air would worry me. With a proper respirator it would be fine.

AlaskanGuy
11-12-2013, 11:47 AM
I just grab my saws-all and get-er-done.. Takes just a min or 2 that way... I would just put a small block of wood under it and leave it right in the back of the truck. When your done, just sweep out the back of the truck into a bucket, and presto, manageable.

remy3424
11-12-2013, 11:58 AM
If it is soft, just use an ax and be done with it.

Pilgrim
11-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Saws-all or propane torch of one kind or another. Method is dependant upon the configuration of the lead and your truck. If you can get the sheet sticking out of the truck, put a tarp underneath it and use a saws-all or similar saw with a coarse blade. If you can melt it without "melting" your truck, put some sort of metal container under the lead and melt off chunks the size you want. Saws-all will be faster and less of a mess.

owejia
11-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Finished melting a 1673 lb. sail boat ingot last week. Used my oxy-act torch with a large rosebud to melt a notch on each side of the ingot and used a chain fall to hang from the ceiling joist in my barn made a 15" dia smelting pot x 7" deep from a piece of pipe from the scrapyard. Welded four angle iron legs on it and used my Harbor freight weed burner to melt into my pipe smelting pot. That pot would hold about 500 lbs but I only melted a couple hundred lbs at a time. Takes a long time to melt that much lead. Poured into 2" channel iron ingots about 6" lg. They average weighing 7 to 7.5 lbs. Wore me out just picking them up and stacking as they cooled down.They check about 13bnh using the pencil test. Lifetime supply. That weed burner will do the job.

CastingFool
11-12-2013, 01:08 PM
I would use a corded reciprocating saw, and try using blades with different teeth. Also, vary the cutting speed. Save the shavings, if you can. I think it would be too strenuous to use an ax to chop a chunk of lead that thick.

fastfire
11-12-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm going to try a reciprocating saw, sawsall, axe and when I get pieces small enough to handle a wood splitter. Hack saw and hammer, and chisel is to much work.
Chainsaw and reciprocating saw wondering how fast it will dull?
I'll report back with the results.
Thanks for all the ideas.

John Allen
11-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Considering it is only a 1/2 inch thick just whack it with an axe you will make short work of it.

gwpercle
11-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Where in the world did you find a piece of lead 1/2" X 12" X 15 FEET long, what was it used for and how did you get it home?????? Almost a case of " too much of a good thing".

fastfire
11-12-2013, 02:03 PM
I got it at a scrap yard. This place is the higest priced around but the guy misquoted me the price at .75 a lb, I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough. I was in a roll and loaded it with a fork lift and I used a tractor wit a loader to lift it out.
I do not know what it was use for but I KNOW what it WILL be used for.

Echo
11-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Id use a torch & melt it in half. Then use a sledge hammer to fold up & compress those 2 big chunks so I could melt each half separately in my pot.

Goodness - my dutch oven wouldn't handle a 220-lb chunk of Pb...

My recommendation is a Sawzall, with a coarse blade, and paper underneath to catch the chips.

fastfire
11-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Just starting out here and using a HF cast iron pot.
I'm thinking about a larger pot, maybe out of a lg dia pipe or a propane cylinder so I can melt more at a time.Maybe even making a bottom pour pot?

Dale in Louisiana
11-12-2013, 02:27 PM
I have a piece of soft lead 1/2 thick 12"wide and about 15ft long.
How do I cut small enough pieces to put in my cast iron pot to make into ingots?:confused:
You need to buy my Tactical Grade Lead Strip Cutter. Only $349.95 plus shipping.

dale in Louisiana
(well, I don't actually make one, but if there's a market...)

cbrick
11-12-2013, 02:43 PM
I don't like sawing lead. I don't have lead poisoning and would prefer to keep it that way, and lots of lead dust in the air would worry me. With a proper respirator it would be fine.

Dust? There would be no dust, nothing but chips of varying sizes but dust, no. It would be wise to not eat the chips.

Rick

Hanzy4200
11-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Sawz All. Be glad it's only 1/2" thick. I picked up about 20 "bars" that were over 2" thick, they took some serious elbow grease.

fastfire
11-12-2013, 04:04 PM
OK IT'S DONE.
First I tried the sawsall it took 1m 40sec to cut 1 pass using a coarse blade.
Next the circular saw with a coarse blade 1 pass took 4-5 sec, didn't try anything anther way.
The circular saw IS defiantly the way to go.
Thanks for all the sugestions.

JakeBlanton
11-12-2013, 04:56 PM
I got it at a scrap yard. This place is the higest priced around but the guy misquoted me the price at .75 a lb, I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough. I was in a roll and loaded it with a fork lift and I used a tractor wit a loader to lift it out.

If you have a tractor with a front end loader, I suspect you could have used that to cut it into more manageable chunks.

fastfire
11-12-2013, 05:08 PM
If you have a tractor with a front end loader, I suspect you could have used that to cut it into more manageable chunks.

I didn't even think of that.
But the circular saw was really quick though.

Smoke4320
11-12-2013, 05:12 PM
just stick a label on it and send it to me... I will put it out of its/your misery :) :O

JakeBlanton
11-12-2013, 05:53 PM
I didn't even think of that.
But the circular saw was really quick though.

Of course, NOW you're curious and you'll have to take one of the "manageable chunks" and see if it will work, right? :)

dbosman
11-12-2013, 06:15 PM

Theoretically out is easy if your bumper doesn't stick out too far. Load them on to a couple of pieces of plywood sitting on some pipe rollers. When you get to your place, remove the tail gate. Accelerate backwards then brake. The plywood will help - not necessarily fully - cushion the drop from the truck. We did that with some 800# bales of fodder.

MBuechle
11-12-2013, 08:15 PM
If you have or can borrow a portable band saw, put a 10 tooth pitch blade in it and go to town. I use one to cut 26 lb. 1/2" plates into strips that will fit my pot. The thin curf will not waste a lot of lead, if you put a sheet of plastic beneath it, you can catch it though.

cbrick
11-12-2013, 08:30 PM
If you have or can borrow a portable band saw, put a 10 tooth pitch blade in it and go to town. I use one to cut 26 lb. 1/2" plates into strips that will fit my pot. The thin curf will not waste a lot of lead, if you put a sheet of plastic beneath it, you can catch it though.

I must be missing something, the piece of lead is 1/2 inch thick by 12 inches wide by 15 feet long. While I agree completely that a band saw would cut it like butter I think I see a problem . . . Such as how to get it into the saw.

Rick

dnotarianni
11-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Chain Saw.

and some dish soap on the cut line. Put a canvas underneth for the chips

Dave

fastfire
11-12-2013, 10:00 PM
just stick a label on it and send it to me... I will put it out of its/your misery :) :O

It's on it's way:kidding:

fastfire
11-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Of course, NOW you're curious and you'll have to take one of the "manageable chunks" and see if it will work, right? :)

I'll give it a try:bigsmyl2:

mikeym1a
11-12-2013, 11:38 PM

If it were me, and I had a handy tree close by, I'd back up to the tree, put a couple 'eyes' into the lead, rope it off to the tree, and then drive away, leaving the lead lying on the ground. If I had that opportunity, I'd jump on it, providing my wallet was full enough. Good Luck! :D

jethunter
11-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Any hacksaw or sawz-all using a coarse blade, 10-12 teeth per inch should be about right. I've used 22 tpi blades and had them clog up cutting soft lead.

birddog
11-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Cut the sheets into manageable lengths that you can carry and load them up and take to a local fabricating shop. Their shear will make short order of your job.
Charlie
An ironworker also would work if the shear has clearance for 1/2" thk material.

TCLouis
11-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Circular saw with plywood blade put on backwards.

Chainsaw? For sure, use a tarp to catch leavings.

Careful with any power tool, I'm betting that cutting lead gets real "grabby".